Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Those you can reuse.

If you have metal stems the rubber seal may be replaced rather than the whole thing.
Yes, I have metal stems.

I'm willing to bet $100 that I will end up paying "something."

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
I called Michelin again. The rep kept repeating, "The customer doesn't have to pay a cent." I kept asking, "what about mounting and balancing?" Again, the rep repeated the "customer doesn't have to pay a cent." I kept trying to press about mounting, balancing, and valve stems. All I got was the "customer doesn't have to pay a cent." DUDE! YOU AREN'T ANSWERING MY QUESTION!

I tried to call for an appointment, but service doesn't operate on Saturday where I called. So, I will call again on Monday to get an appointment.

But I got another confirmation of the LTX M/S LT 225/75R16 thing, and that the B3 thing was big deal.
You will NOT have to pay anything for installation. Mounting and balancing are going to be paid (actually it's a credit) to the performing dealer by Michelin.

If a dealer tries to charge you, then you call Michelin while standing there and tell them, as they are not supposed to.

Some states do have what is called an Environmental fee (or waste tire cleanup and recycling fee). In Louisiana this fee is $2 per tire and is collected even on recalled tires. This fee is the one that can get argued over who bears the cost of, the company or the consumer. I would stress the point beforehand that Michelin should pick up even this tab in the applicable states.

The dealer may not have any way of collecting this environmental fee from Michelin, and could charge you. If so, then you take the complaint to Michelin and they should reimburse you..........as that's not something the dealer has any control over.

Here is a pdf of the sign we have displayed to customers by law. #2 explains what I am talking about.

http://www.deq.louisiana.gov/portal/...-08_030410.pdf

FYI, In Louisiana when you buy a new vehicle, RV, trailer, etc............you will see a line item where the selling dealer had to collect a fee from the buyer for the OE tires that came on the aforementioned things.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Yes, I have metal stems.

I'm willing to bet $100 that I will end up paying "something."
Fuel costs?
Food, because it will not be a 20 min job.
I wonder if they make "house" calls?

Any how I'm a no gonna take that bet...
Old 12-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #24
Love My Sunseeker

Food and Fuel is a given. I'm talking that I will end up paying some silly little "fee" like wmtire mentioned. Or, the dealer I go to will find a way to make ME pay for some "necessary" thing that Michelin won't reimburse for.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Food and Fuel is a given. I'm talking that I will end up paying some silly little "fee" like wmtire mentioned. Or, the dealer I go to will find a way to make ME pay for some "necessary" thing that Michelin won't reimburse for.
I am sure of that.
The dealer is out $1200 minimum just for the tires.
No telling how long it will take Michelin to reimburse them.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
I am sure of that.
The dealer is out $1200 minimum just for the tires.
No telling how long it will take Michelin to reimburse them.
The way it usually works is the obliging dealer gets a "credit" towards his future purchases.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The way it usually works is the obliging dealer gets a "credit" towards his future purchases.
Ahh.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #28
Love My Sunseeker

I'm going to call on Monday and see when I can get an appointment. I'm not in a hurry as I'm not going anywhere until March. If I'm the first one to get in and out, I'll report back.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #29
Love My Sunseeker

I'm currently in Southern Oregon. Michelin told me to contact either Coast Auto in Brookings or Larry's Auto in Bandon.

Contacted Coast Auto. They don't have the facilities to work on RV's, but they can order the tires and ship them to a place that can put them on. This sounds like a fol de rol, and who knows, the second place may insist I pay them.

Contacted Larry's. Larry's has the facilities to work on RV's. They can order the tires and put them on.

Both are going to call me back with more information.

Lordy!

Old 12-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #30

Quote:
I'm currently in Southern Oregon. Michelin told me to contact either Coast Auto in Brookings or Larry's Auto in Bandon.

Contacted Coast Auto. They don't have the facilities to work on RV's, but they can order the tires and ship them to a place that can put them on. This sounds like a fol de rol, and who knows, the second place may insist I pay them.

Contacted Larry's. Larry's has the facilities to work on RV's. They can order the tires and put them on.

Both are going to call me back with more information.

Lordy!
Ah jeez.
One stop one shop IMO, however you may want to read the one review before you commit.

https://plus.google.com/117464174396...ut?gl=us&hl=en
Old 12-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #31
Love My Sunseeker

Thanks a lot! Sheesh! Well, I have Larry's working on it for me. I'm hoping my "gender" will be a helpful thing. Yeah, right.

Anyway, I'm about to tear my hair out.

My front tires have F5189G on it, but not my back tires. My back tires have M+S on it, but not my front tires. Larry's asked me to call Michelin to see if that mattered. Apparently it doesn't.

Also, Larry's said that they can't find that tire size on their ordering thingie. So what size are we to replace them with? Michelin said replace with M/S 2. Whatever that means.

Michelin also said they can be replaced with Michelin, Goodrich, or Uniroyal, as long as the tires are the same size, and equal load and rating. So, you aren't limited to Michelin.

Also, the dealer had the same question I had: WHO IS PAYING FOR THE MOUNT AND BALANCE? Michelin never actually answered that question except to say, "The customer will not have to pay a single cent" (except for the silly little environmental fees mentioned by WMTIRE)

I'm going with Larry's in Bandon and I'll cross my fingers it goes well. But I'm not an automotive genius, who knows.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #32

The M+S or mud and snow.
All that means is they are more of a traction tire where as the front is a steer tire.
Given the area you are in I would suggest you keep that setup.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Michelin also said they can be replaced with Michelin, Goodrich, or Uniroyal, as long as the tires are the same size, and equal load and rating. So, you aren't limited to Michelin.
Well to be perfectly honest, you are. BF Goodrich and Uniroyal are subsidiaries of Michelin. You just aren't limited to the Michelin 'brand' name.

However, I would prefer the brand name, if it was my choice.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #34
Love My Sunseeker

Well, I called back Larry's with this information (and I said it came from "knowledgeable people on Forest River").

Larry said this was a bunch of crap, and all six tires should be M+S rated, not four in the back and none in the front. So, I'm getting all six as M+S. I'm not a genius in automotive things....

Then, someone in the park I'm at recommended another place that's closer to where I am staying than Bandon is, but Michelin didn't mention them and by the time I heard about it, I had already got Larry's working on it.

Quote:
The M+S or mud and snow.
All that means is they are more of a traction tire where as the front is a steer tire.
Given the area you are in I would suggest you keep that setup.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #35

[QUOTE=wmtire;515009]Well to be perfectly honest, you are. BF Goodrich and Uniroyal are subsidiaries of Michelin. "You just aren't limited to the Michelin 'brand' name".

That's good to hear. I always wanted white lettered tires so this will be a good time to make the change. Also plan to replace the steel wheels with black and chrome alloys to dress up the painted body. Tire dealer didn't care what wheels he mounts the replacement tires on. He also confirmed there will be "no" charges for the work.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post

That's good to hear. I always wanted white lettered tires so this will be a good time to make the change. Also plan to replace the steel wheels with black and chrome alloys to dress up the painted body. Tire dealer didn't care what wheels he mounts the replacement tires on. He also confirmed there will be "no" charges for the work.
WARNING: Be careful on white-letter tires on dual-wheel vehicles. The reason I state this, is you have to have the two outside tires on the rear duals mounted with the white letters facing the back side of the wheel to show the letters. If you ever do the standard dually rotation (and end up with the front tires on the outside duals.... or outside rear tires on front, the tires will have to be flipped on the rims to show the letters.....................or completely opposite if you mount the black sides out to begin with and there are letters on the other side. If you rotate the tires, it's easier to just have the tires black on both sides, so you don't ever have to dismount them to flip the sides over.

FYI, you can do what we call the alternate dually rotation pattern with tires mounted with white letters, which is really just crossing the sides. Put the front left on the front right. Put the left duals on the right dual position. This way all the outside facing tires stay the same.

OFF-TOPIC ALERT:

If anybody wants to know the history of the French Michelin Company, and how they started in North America, here is the skinny on it:

History of Michelin North America | Michelin Tires

Old 12-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #37

Wmtire, Thanks but yes I'm aware of the rotation issues. It's also the same for all dually pickup trucks that have alloy wheels whether they have white lettered tires or not. The inner duals are on still steel rims and the alloys are only able to go on one way and can't be swapped from front to rear or vice-verse.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #38
Love My Sunseeker

Ya mean you are supposed to rotate RV tires? Oh my. I've never done this. How do you rotate RV tires? What wheel goes where? How often?

Old 12-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #39

Tires should be rotated just like any other vehicle to maximize and levelize tread life between the tires. However with RVs often tires time out due to age verses wear out. There are a number of different rotation patterns depending on stock steel rims, alloy rims and if the tires are white lettered.

Some feel that the duals need to stay together so then you just rotate the fronts and the rears side to side. I have always done this because of alloy wheels and OWL tires. I agree you should keep dual wheels paired with the same tread dept so if your fronts are already worn much more that the rears then you pretty much can only do the side to side pattern. Otherwise you can move the rear inners side to side the outers to the front and front to rear outer. Next time swap outers side to side the swap the inners and fronts. You can find this as well as other methods online. Whatever shop you have doing the swapping probably has their own preference. Every 6 to 8 thousand miles is probably a good time to rotate.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #40

Size

To my understanding after having my LTX's inspected yesterday, the recall only covers one specific size, that being the 225's, mine are 245's and not covered. We have had a problem with one tire losing tread last summer, Michelin offered to replace the tire for $180.00, I just paid $189.00 for the tire last summer. Calling Tire Care customer service tomorrow, think they need to take a look at the 245's one more time and a good faith gesture?
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, recall