Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
To my understanding after having my LTX's inspected yesterday, the recall only covers one specific size, that being the 225's, mine are 245's and not covered. We have had a problem with one tire losing tread last summer, Michelin offered to replace the tire for $180.00, I just paid $189.00 for the tire last summer. Calling Tire Care customer service tomorrow, think they need to take a look at the 245's one more time and a good faith gesture?

Yes so far it's only those 225's produced at the B3 code plant which is in Nova Scotia Canada. If your tires have a B3 code you have a better chance than if they were made at another plant.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #42
Love My Sunseeker

Lordy! The tire place I'm using said they called Michelin and Michelin told them that the date codes have to be the same on all six tires before they can order the tires. That means I have to get under the tires to check the rear dually's (or just lie and say yes they are) or I have to make two trips to the dealer, and the first trip is to check the date code. Lordy! I want this done in ONE trip! I thought I could just DRIVE IN! Didn't know they had to be ORDERED! I guess I'm out in the sticks!

UPDATE: I was unable to read the date code on my rear tires. I have the B3JH AKEX on them, but I don't have 2112 or any number resembling something like that number. Instead, on the rears, there is a long sequence where the 2112 or whatever should be. The dealer thinks on the rears, the 2112 or whatever is on the inside and I'm unable to see them. This means, I gotta make TWO trips. One to read the date code on the tire, and another to get them installed. I'm not happy! I got an appointment on New Year's Eve for trip #1.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #43

Oh brother...

You should send Michelin a bill for your time and fuel.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #44
Love My Sunseeker

Well, from word of mouth, I found out about a dealer that is much closer than Bandon. Michelin never told me about this dealer. Since the dealer in Bandon hasn't actually taken an action other than do some research, I'm switching to Precision Tire in Gold Beach. Much closer and they can get me in sooner. They could get me in Friday but I can't on Friday, so will go in on Monday. But, again, I have to make two trips. One to verify the date code and another to get the tires installed (cuz they have to order them).

Old 12-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
Well, from word of mouth, I found out about a dealer that is much closer than Bandon. Michelin never told me about this dealer. Since the dealer in Bandon hasn't actually taken an action other than do some research, I'm switching to Precision Tire in Gold Beach. Much closer and they can get me in sooner. They could get me in Friday but I can't on Friday, so will go in on Monday. But, again, I have to make two trips. One to verify the date code and another to get the tires installed (cuz they have to order them).

Ford seems to install all the tires the same way. Thus the date codes on the fronts are on the outside and easy to read. However the sides of the tires on the rear with the date codes are on the inside and face each other. You may need to remove the outer tire or use a mirror to see them. If your fronts have a 2112 code, it puts them very near the end of the recall period so if the rears are dated a few weeks later they would not be included.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #46
Love My Sunseeker

Well, the saga continues. I had made an appointment with the "close by" dealer, only to have the Bandon dealer call me and say they had ordered the tires anyway and now they have them, so I don't have to make two trips. So, I had to cancel the "close by" dealer and I'm going to Bandon on January 6. I'm surprised they ordered the tires without verification of the date code, but they said, "don't worry, we'll deal with the date code when you get here." ATV, thanks for the heads up, I'll make sure the dealer doesn't try to mess me on it. I'll ask to see the date code of the rears when they remove it.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #47

Quote:
Well, the saga continues. I had made an appointment with the "close by" dealer, only to have the Bandon dealer call me and say they had ordered the tires anyway and now they have them, so I don't have to make two trips. So, I had to cancel the "close by" dealer and I'm going to Bandon on January 6. I'm surprised they ordered the tires without verification of the date code, but they said, "don't worry, we'll deal with the date code when you get here." ATV, thanks for the heads up, I'll make sure the dealer doesn't try to mess me on it. I'll ask to see the date code of the rears when they remove it.
You are not committed to them unless you signed something.
You can still go to the place of YOUR choice.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #48

This tire thing can sure get confusing. Good to know that the manufacturer is standing behind what he makes. Our LTX tires are a different size, but have had a problem with tread coming off on one tire. Michelin wanted me to purchase a new tire for more than what I paid for the tire originally, that sucks. Just waiting for the tire to continually fall apart
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
This tire thing can sure get confusing. Good to know that the manufacturer is standing behind what he makes. Our LTX tires are a different size, but have had a problem with tread coming off on one tire. Michelin wanted me to purchase a new tire for more than what I paid for the tire originally, that sucks. Just waiting for the tire to continually fall apart
NTSB - National Transportation Safety Board

Send them pictures and a short description of the problem and action taken thus far.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #50

I hope everyone has the same luck I just ran into regarding this recall. We've just returned from our Christmas family trip and had one of the rear tires blow while underway on I-10 in Texas on the first leg of our trip. Right before it popped we suddenly started getting a vibration from the rear, but I was unsure if it was the textured road surface or not. I changed lanes to see if would go away as the fast lane was smooth. 5 secs after changing lanes we heard a very loud and unmistakeable pop (wife and kids recall it as an explosion
). We were all safe and limped to the next exit as the outer tire on the dual took the load.

Used our auto insurance road side assistance (Progessive) and they got the spare put on in the parking lot of our favorite Texas rest stop (Buc'ees). Our plan was to simply replace the blown tire once we reached our destination (South Texas).

We took the RV to a small local ( and by pure chance ) Michelin tire shop. They took one look at our blown tire and said it wasn't a road hazard failure but tread separation. The guy then took a double look at the tires and the size and told us he needed to look something up as he remembered seeing something from Michelin come out just on 12/13 about this tire size. 5 minutes later he was ordering me 6 new tires free of charge! Mine were dated 0410. So, just 2 weeks into production of the range they are recalling.

I was almost 4 years in on these tires, first issue I've ever had with them (zero flats or leaks which is very rare for where I live) and now I've got 6 new tires only 8 weeks old (dated 4413)!

Ps. I didn't pay a dime to the tire shop... But I did give a hefty tip to the tech who did the work on Christmas Eve!
funfinder5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #51
Love My Sunseeker

I understand what you are saying, but when one is in small towns, you DON'T DARE p*** off a business place. These are small town, small business owners. That's why I'm still going to drive to Bandon. Even though it's not convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
You are not committed to them unless you signed something.
You can still go to the place of YOUR choice.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #52

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, but when one is in small towns, you DON'T DARE p*** off a business place. These are small town, small business owners. That's why I'm still going to drive to Bandon. Even though it's not convenient.
I'd like to have a dollar for every place I have p____ed off, I'd own a condo in someplace a lot warmer than here.

But the bottom line is I am not you.

And this event needs to make YOU safe and happy.

Take the time while in town and go shopping if it is not raining.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #53

Hi everyone!

Good news from me. Got all 6 replaced today from tire discounters. Very good service and in addition I got lifetime rotation and balancing thrown in. One problem the spare was some crazy off brand so I had them replace the spare also.

The MS2's look very nice and the ride was equal to the other ones. I noticed no difference. Had 8500 miles on the originals.

So I'm pretty happy.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #54

RECALLED: Michelin LTX M/S, LT225/75R16 LRE,

So mine fall within the recall date range too. At least the fronts anyhow. I can't see the dates on the rears as they are mounted backward. But I assume all six are the same date.

Couple questions for those going to Tire Discounters:

Do they have a hoist to handle a motorhome or are they just using a jack in the parking lot?

Are they familiar enough with the valve extenders to reinstall them?

Tire Discounters, at least in my area, seems like it is more of a passenger car place than a truck place.

I was debating between going to the RV dealer or Ford dealer (does truck work - would also get an oil change at the same time and kill two birds in one trip).
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #55

Balancing

By the way, did you have them balance the RV Tires and wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfinder5 View Post
I hope everyone has the same luck I just ran into regarding this recall. We've just returned from our Christmas family trip and had one of the rear tires blow while underway on I-10 in Texas on the first leg of our trip. Right before it popped we suddenly started getting a vibration from the rear, but I was unsure if it was the textured road surface or not. I changed lanes to see if would go away as the fast lane was smooth. 5 secs after changing lanes we heard a very loud and unmistakeable pop (wife and kids recall it as an explosion
). We were all safe and limped to the next exit as the outer tire on the dual took the load.

Used our auto insurance road side assistance (Progessive) and they got the spare put on in the parking lot of our favorite Texas rest stop (Buc'ees). Our plan was to simply replace the blown tire once we reached our destination (South Texas).

We took the RV to a small local ( and by pure chance ) Michelin tire shop. They took one look at our blown tire and said it wasn't a road hazard failure but tread separation. The guy then took a double look at the tires and the size and told us he needed to look something up as he remembered seeing something from Michelin come out just on 12/13 about this tire size. 5 minutes later he was ordering me 6 new tires free of charge! Mine were dated 0410. So, just 2 weeks into production of the range they are recalling.

I was almost 4 years in on these tires, first issue I've ever had with them (zero flats or leaks which is very rare for where I live) and now I've got 6 new tires only 8 weeks old (dated 4413)!

Ps. I didn't pay a dime to the tire shop... But I did give a hefty tip to the tech who did the work on Christmas Eve!
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #56
Love My Sunseeker

Wow, didn't think about replacing the spare! Ok, gotta crawl under there and see the brand of the spare.

The place I am going to is a Lube and Express place, they said they work on RV's all the time. Michelin gave their name to me. I'm hoping they do ok.

I will get mounting and balancing, because both the dealer and I questioned this, and again, Michelin just responds with the party line of "The customer will not pay a cent."

Did you have to pay to replace the spare since it wasn't Michelin?

Old 01-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #57
Love My Sunseeker

Ok, I'm back. Got mine at the place in Bandon I mentioned. Even though there was one closer to where I'm staying. But I'm glad I went to Bandon, getting away for one night was theraputic! Loved Bandon!

Anyway, I did not pay a single cent. I inquired about "environmental" fees, the place I went to says Oregon has them, but they didn't believe in charging the customer, they thought it was a ripoff. The fee comes from the state, the dealer pays it, and they.... CAN.... choose to "recoup" it from the customer.

I didn't get my spare replaced. Kind of debated on that......

They asked me to put my stabilizers down (Quadra, Big Foot, love them!) to relieve pressure off their lifting jacks. Kind of scared me to look at it. I had those things out ALL THE WAY! Never seen all six tires off the ground before! I hope that didn't cause a problem.

My poor cat was in the RV hanging on for dear life in the bed!

The worst part was when they tried to call Micheline, for "codes" to put on the paperwork, it took four phone calls to Michelin to find out they don't need a "code" for this.

oh yeah. All six of my tires had the same date code. Thank goodness, because I couldn't read the code on the back tires, and the tire dealer just ordered the tires anyway.

Now, I don't know enough to know if they did a good job or not. Time will tell.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #58

I had my Michelin tires replaced on my Sunseeker today at Fuller Ford in Cincinnati. I called and informed them of the recall, they ordered the tires and installed them with no hassles and no cost to me.
JimV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #59

MICHELIN TIRE Recall

If your Class C is a 2011,2012, or 2013 with Michelin tires I suggest you check your tire to this bulletin . Probably need to post this at other Class C sites. This was posted 12-13-13, I just had a Sunseeker go to the Keys and back at 30,000 miles it lost 3 tires during the 2 week trip

Safety Recall : MICHELIN LTX M/S | Michelin Tires

maybe an Administrator can post this on the other appropriate places , Thanks, Steve
Storey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #60

RECALLED: Michelin LTX M/S, LT225/75R16 LRE,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimV View Post
I had my Michelin tires replaced on my Sunseeker today at Fuller Ford in Cincinnati. I called and informed them of the recall, they ordered the tires and installed them with no hassles and no cost to me.

JimV -

Thanks for posting. I am a fellow Cincinnati (Loveland actually) Sunseeker owner. I was debating between Fuller Ford, Holman, Colerain, or Discount Tire. Based on your report, I think I will go to Fuller and get an oil change at the same time. Did you wait while they did the work or did you drop it? Also did you get the newer M/S 2 or the older M/S (just with an ok date code)?
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, recall