Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2014, 05:43 AM   #61

Remember that your motorhome has a spare tire, too! You may need SEVEN new tires.

The spare was probably manufactured about the same time as the six road tires. Even if you have replaced your tires, you may still have the original spare. Michelin should be happy to replace the spare as well, since the purpose of the recall is to protect Michelin from the liability of potentially unsafe tires from service.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post

I didn't get my spare replaced. Kind of debated on that......

You have six new tires to drive on you can change the spare another day.

You are happy, cat is happy (to be grounded) no need to be in a rush.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:20 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Remember that your motorhome has a spare tire, too! You may need SEVEN new tires.

The spare was probably manufactured about the same time as the six road tires. Even if you have replaced your tires, you may still have the original spare. Michelin should be happy to replace the spare as well, since the purpose of the recall is to protect Michelin from the liability of potentially unsafe tires from service.

I crawled under the MH when we first got it to look at the spare. As I recall, it was an off brand, not Michelin.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
JimV -

Thanks for posting. I am a fellow Cincinnati (Loveland actually) Sunseeker owner. I was debating between Fuller Ford, Holman, Colerain, or Discount Tire. Based on your report, I think I will go to Fuller and get an oil change at the same time. Did you wait while they did the work or did you drop it? Also did you get the newer M/S 2 or the older M/S (just with an ok date code)?
Paulmlac

I dropped my Sunseeker off at 7am and picked it up about 4pm. They were very busy, and I also had an oil change. They replaced my old tires with the newer LTX M/S 2.
JimV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #65

Ford is the one who put the Michelin tires on the cab chassis... No spares are delivered to the builder (Forest River). Forest River adds a spare on after the finial build. That's why my chassis tires had a DOT date of 0410 and my spare is a different brand with a much newer DOT date.

I believe my spare is a Uniroyal (a Michelin company) and probably so is everyone else in my vintage.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #66

Just had six replaced on my 2012 2300. My spare was not a Michelin. My only cost was for a new set of valve extensions which I had replaced because my old ones were always coming loose.
tlf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 AM   #67

Michelin Tire Recall

Did any one else get the Michelin Recall?... Check out NHSTA recall number 13T-012...

Michelin LTX M/S LT225/75R16 155/112R LRE
MSPN = 25516
DOT Sequence = B3JH AKEX
DOT Prodution Period = 0210 - 2512
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #68

Yes, wish I read this thread a couple months back, just got the recall yesterday (2/24). I called Michelin to get a list of dealers. I called 4 dealers, the tire is now on backorder.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #69

Had mine replaced. No tires avail locally but dealer, Delta World Tire, was great and had some swapped with another Delta store. Also did nitrogen fill. Leave next month on extended trip and see if make a difference. Tires do run cooler.
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #70

Inquiring even further, I called at least 10 tire dealers today. Michelin recommends the LTX M/S 2 225/75R16 or as a sub, Uniroyal Laredo or BF Goodrich (both owned by Michelin) as replacement tires at no expense to the consumer. In my many inquiries, no Michelins are available virtually nationwide, and even the subs are now becoming unavailable. I had to go to a Mastercraft tire instead as I have a trip planned to Florida in 2 weeks. Michelin will approve use of another name brand tire if the tire store calls Michelin and gets an authorization. All specs on the Mastercraft (Courser HSX) are the same as the Michelin that's under recall except it's only rated for 60,000 miles, not 70,000. Talked to both Forest River and Ford customer service. FR gets the Ford chassis already equipped with the tires. Ford customer service said they're awaiting Michelins and not shipping any chassis until they get the tires.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #71

Getting tired.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQ2N View Post
Inquiring even further, I called at least 10 tire dealers today. Michelin recommends the LTX M/S 2 225/75R16 or as a sub, Uniroyal Laredo or BF Goodrich (both owned by Michelin) as replacement tires at no expense to the consumer. In my many inquiries, no Michelins are available virtually nationwide, and even the subs are now becoming unavailable. I had to go to a Mastercraft tire instead as I have a trip planned to Florida in 2 weeks. Michelin will approve use of another name brand tire if the tire store calls Michelin and gets an authorization. All specs on the Mastercraft (Courser HSX) are the same as the Michelin that's under recall except it's only rated for 60,000 miles, not 70,000. Talked to both Forest River and Ford customer service. FR gets the Ford chassis already equipped with the tires. Ford customer service said they're awaiting Michelins and not shipping any chassis until they get the tires.
My Lexington GTS 270s also has Michelin recall on the tires.... I have been calling several tire dealers in the Toronto/Brampton area and was told by one dealer 40 mins away that he would have my 7 replacement tires in by April 21st, which came and went and no call from the dealer. When I called back he said he would go check... 2 days later I called him back and he said oh the michelin tire shipment never came in but he will call Michelin.... still no call back!

I was getting really frazzled by now and so my wife called a couple of tire dealers that I hadnt and after a few calls she managed to get someone that knew all about tne recall as ne had been talking to one of michelins reps a few days before. There was a problem that Michelin was doing the recall but wouldnt say which tires they recommend puting on the RV in place tires. After a bit of checking the guy calls me back with a few suggestions that werent good for me or I could go with Uniroyal Laredo HDH 10 ply rated for 80,000 km. Or Bridgestone Dunvanis..... my problem is that I dont know much about RV & light truck tires but what was a better equivilent for me because no one around here has
LTX 225/75 R16 M/ S tires which I understand m/s = mud and snow which the Uniroyals are not. With me living in Canada there is a good chance I may have to drive in snow in order to get to warmer temperatures in the winter.
Anyone have any suggestions for me.... I would like to get the RV safe for the road as soon as possible.
RonnieTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfinder5 View Post
I hope everyone has the same luck I just ran into regarding this recall. We've just returned from our Christmas family trip and had one of the rear tires blow while underway on I-10 in Texas on the first leg of our trip. Right before it popped we suddenly started getting a vibration from the rear, but I was unsure if it was the textured road surface or not. I changed lanes to see if would go away as the fast lane was smooth. 5 secs after changing lanes we heard a very loud and unmistakeable pop (wife and kids recall it as an explosion
). We were all safe and limped to the next exit as the outer tire on the dual took the load.

Used our auto insurance road side assistance (Progessive) and they got the spare put on in the parking lot of our favorite Texas rest stop (Buc'ees). Our plan was to simply replace the blown tire once we reached our destination (South Texas).

We took the RV to a small local ( and by pure chance ) Michelin tire shop. They took one look at our blown tire and said it wasn't a road hazard failure but tread separation. The guy then took a double look at the tires and the size and told us he needed to look something up as he remembered seeing something from Michelin come out just on 12/13 about this tire size. 5 minutes later he was ordering me 6 new tires free of charge! Mine were dated 0410. So, just 2 weeks into production of the range they are recalling.

I was almost 4 years in on these tires, first issue I've ever had with them (zero flats or leaks which is very rare for where I live) and now I've got 6 new tires only 8 weeks old (dated 4413)!

Ps. I didn't pay a dime to the tire shop... But I did give a hefty tip to the tech who did the work on Christmas Eve!
Always nice to hear some good news.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #73

For me the problem was finding a dealer that could handle an RV. None of the close Ford dealers could handle it. Finally found a small family owned local tire dealer who said Michelins were not available but he had BF Goodrichs in stock so I went with them. They were all dated 1514 so they are only a few weeks old which is good. I was hoping they would ride better than the Michelins but they have the same harsh ride.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #74

Vibration After Michelin Tire Recall

I just replaced our recalled Michelin M/S tires on our 2013 Forester 3171. I went with the M/S2 as recommended by Michelin and our Ford dealer. After the replacement I now have a vibration that is especially noticeable at highway speeds. It wasn't there prior to the new tires. I've had them rebalanced 3 times but still have the same issue.

At this point the Ford dealer says they can't do anything further because there is undercoating on part of the driveshaft which could cause vibration. I need to remove the undercoating before they will consider anything else. Nevermind that the undercoating came that way from the factory and was there previously with the old tires and we had no issues.

Has anyone else had this experience with the M/S2s and does anyone know if it's okay to remove the partial undercoating from the driveshaft?
familycamper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #75
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycamper5 View Post
At this point the Ford dealer says they can't do anything further because there is undercoating on part of the driveshaft which could cause vibration.
Sounds like the "Blame Game" to me. Lots of things cause vibration at specific speeds. Spend 2 years tracking down on in our Buick. I had warranty work done on the driver's door and shortly after (to me anyway) we had a vibration develop.

After MANY trips to try and get it fixed. the dealership basically said "these things happen" and we will need to start charging for troubleshooting.

I found the cause was a loose wind baffle in the left fender (visible right at the hinge. Most likely was disturbed (maybe pushed on) during the original work on the driver's door.

Is your vibration felt in the steering wheel?
Maybe you can locate the area where the road vibration is coming from.

The drive shaft angle seems like a stretch to me...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #76

I see no harm in scraping off the undercoating. It's easy to do but I think it's unlikely it will solve the problem. As far as the vibration it could be a number of things including a bad tire. I also had mine replaced under the recall and had not noticed anything with the old ones. However the replacements (I went with BF Goodrich) are smoother and seem to handle and feel more stabil than the Michelins.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #77

Had mine changed yesterday. They only had six in stock so I go back Thursday to get the spare replaced. Thanks for the info. I didn't see anything wrong with the ones I had. I had about 10,000 miles on them. Better safe than sorry I guess. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
realredrebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, recall