Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #1

Replacement higher speed tlr. tires, need ideas

We have 9600 logged miles on our 2902ws TT's original Castle Rock 15 inch tires over a year, we pull at a steady 62-64,NEVER more, tires rated for 75, load range D, always check air, careful about loads and rotated at 5000 front to back, have very good sway control and dual Dexter axles. Total 4 tire cap. is

Maybe lucky, also we respect thier issues maybe a little of both.

They are soon to need replacing, about 1500miles left until wear markers. Trying to find replacement load range E 15" trailer tires w/ higher speed rating, have not found any yet. No room for 16in. Has anyone used brands other than the big 2 manf., I'm told they don't make them.

Need help, I see Airstream has LT tires as an upgrade. Anyone have experience W/ 15" LT load range E tires as a replacement, would like 9500 total cap, TT wieghts 7500 average load, 8100 max GVRW- rare but have been close maybe over w/ full tanks on way to dump.
strgrazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by strgrazr View Post
We have 9600 logged miles on our 2902ws TT's original Castle Rock 15 inch tires over a year, we pull at a steady 62-64,NEVER more, tires rated for 75, load range D, always check air, careful about loads and rotated at 5000 front to back, have very good sway control and dual Dexter axles. Total 4 tire cap. is

Maybe lucky, also we respect thier issues maybe a little of both.

They are soon to need replacing, about 1500miles left until wear markers. Trying to find replacement load range E 15" trailer tires w/ higher speed rating, have not found any yet. No room for 16in. Has anyone used brands other than the big 2 manf., I'm told they don't make them.

Need help, I see Airstream has LT tires as an upgrade. Anyone have experience W/ 15" LT load range E tires as a replacement, would like 9500 total cap, TT wieghts 7500 average load, 8100 max GVRW- rare but have been close maybe over w/ full tanks on way to dump.
The ST225/75R15 is probably the most common 15" trailer tire with a LRE. Carlisle may be the easiest to find nationwide and their speed rating is 81 MPH.

It's important to note that the industry wide rule for replacement tires, is for them to have the capability to provide a load capacity equal to what the OE tires provided. In almost all cases, that rules' out replacing ST tires with LT tires.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
Part-Time Campground Host

I'm one of the lucky ones. We got 18000 miles from our Castle Rocks! After our last winter trip the Rocks were shot. I replaced them with Goodyear Endurance (LR "E") and could not be happier. We noticed a big difference with the new tires. The Goodyears are one of the few if not the only made in USA.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1659
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #4

LT tires are fine on a trailer. Load capacity at least as great as -- not restricted to "equal to" -- the STs is all you need to consider.

-- Chuck
Old 08-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
LT tires are fine on a trailer. Load capacity at least as great as -- not restricted to "equal to" -- the STs is all you need to consider.

-- Chuck
Like us, every tire manufacturer has their way of saying things the industry stands' by. Here is how Michelin says it.

https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/he...res.html#tab-4

The tire industry has become more in tune with proper descriptions and nomenclature over the past 10 years or so, as evident in the Michelin reference where the tire size is described as "designated size". The LT235/85R16 is a designated size, so is the ST235/85R16. The prefix, ST/LT are an official part of the designated size. They are not interchangeable.

(Info not meant to be derogatory).
Old 08-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #6

ST to LT is a one-way street. LT tire construction is fine on trailers but not the other way. They're interchangeable on trailers, not trucks.

The key is the load carrying capacity. As long as the LT tire has at least the same capacity as the ST tire you're good to go. If not stick with ST tires.

-- Chuck
Old 08-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #7

I recently did the same research you're doing and concluded that the best tire for me was the Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 Radial Trailer Tire - They're American made, rated at 87 MPH, and made for trailers. When checking other RV blogs, they were very highly rated by other RV buyers. I found a Les Schwab Tire Store who handled big trucks and they changed them out for me and did a bearing job at the same time. Their cost (including installation) was less than buying just the tires on Amazon or at any other source i found. PLUS I get the comfort level of a national installation chain to back them up.

Specs:
Fits: 15" x 6", 15" x 6-1/2", and 15" x 7" rims; Tire size: ST225/75R15; Section width: 8.78"; Overall diameter: 28.31"
Capacity: Load range: E; Ply rating: 10
Maximum load: 2,830 lbs at 80 psi
Tread depth: 8/32"
Maximum speed: 87 mph (speed rating N)
Limited warranty with free tire replacement
Old 08-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbald View Post
I recently did the same research you're doing and concluded that the best tire for me was the Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 Radial Trailer Tire - They're American made, rated at 87 MPH, and made for trailers. When checking other RV blogs, they were very highly rated by other RV buyers. I found a Les Schwab Tire Store who handled big trucks and they changed them out for me and did a bearing job at the same time. Their cost (including installation) was less than buying just the tires on Amazon or at any other source i found. PLUS I get the comfort level of a national installation chain to back them up.

Specs:
Fits: 15" x 6", 15" x 6-1/2", and 15" x 7" rims; Tire size: ST225/75R15; Section width: 8.78"; Overall diameter: 28.31"
Capacity: Load range: E; Ply rating: 10
Maximum load: 2,830 lbs at 80 psi
Tread depth: 8/32"
Maximum speed: 87 mph (speed rating N)
Limited warranty with free tire replacement
Could not agree more. We love ours!

Old 08-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #9
pburch

I too have Goodyear Endurance, and love them

Presley
2021 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L 4 x 4 3.73 Gear 6' 4" Bed
Along with "Abby" and "Charlie" our Fur Babies
pburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #10

Tires

I switched to GY endurance also and am very pleased after 7k. They ride better than Carlyles I had before. I was also to go up a size and weight rating and still fit my trailer. GY lists diameter and load rating on their site. These also hold pressure better than any other tires I have had on my trailers.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
ST to LT is a one-way street. LT tire construction is fine on trailers but not the other way. That depends on who authorized them on the trailer. It requires a very long and drawn-out explanation which I'd be happy to provide in a PM on request.) They're interchangeable on trailers, not trucks.

The key is the load carrying capacity. As long as the LT tire has at least the same capacity as the ST tire you're good to go. If not stick with ST tires.

-- Chuck
I don't make the rules or purposely misrepresent them.

These are two quotes from the Michelin reference I previously provided. Michelin has used them because they come from established tire industry standards which all tire retailers are supposed to practice;

"Tires should always be replaced with the same size designation — or approved options — as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer."

"The correct tire size designated for your vehicle should always be verified with the information in your vehicle owner’s manual or on the tire information sticker."
Old 08-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #12

Thank you , everyone, Goodyear ST tires meet what I'm looking for. Now to find them on sale , $130 seems to be going price. What is a good sale price?
strgrazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #13

I Paid $119 for ours from Amazon. Looks like they have gone up $10. Do an internet search, just watch for shipping costs and tax.
You've made the right decision for your new shoes!

Old 08-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #14

We just installed Hercules, made by Cooper, load range E. Only about 1000 miles on them so far, but they seem to be doing the job.
canmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by strgrazr View Post
We have 9600 logged miles on our 2902ws TT's original Castle Rock 15 inch tires over a year...
They are soon to need replacing, about 1500miles left until wear markers.

Hmmm, I have >20,000 miles on my set of CRs. No where close to hitting the wear bars.
As a note, I found on my trailer that the Never-Adjust brakes were regularly over adjusting. Multiple times, I jacked up a wheel and was unable to turn it by hand because of the brakes. First time I noticed it because the hub on a wheel was running 10-15 degrees warmer than its neighbor. For the first go-round I had my dealer check because I thought it might be a grease/bearing issue. Was told about the over adjusting and that they had backed it off...
Current plan is a tire replacement next year, maybe.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbald View Post
PLUS I get the comfort level of a national installation chain to back them up.
That phrase National Installation Chain is misleading. They aer only out west. Don't go est of Nevada or S of Montana or they aer not available.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
I don't make the rules or purposely misrepresent them.

These are two quotes from the Michelin reference I previously provided. Michelin has used them because they come from established tire industry standards which all tire retailers are supposed to practice;

"Tires should always be replaced with the same size designation — or approved options — as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer."

"The correct tire size designated for your vehicle should always be verified with the information in your vehicle owner’s manual or on the tire information sticker."
I don't believe ST (or LT) is part of the tire SIZE, but is the tire CONSTRUCTION or TYPE.

Just like the "R" is not part of the tire SIZE, but designations Radial (vice Bias Ply).

Mike
Old 08-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
I don't believe ST (or LT) is part of the tire SIZE, but is the tire CONSTRUCTION or TYPE.

Just like the "R" is not part of the tire SIZE, but designations Radial (vice Bias Ply).

Mike
Designated tire size nomenclatures are standardized. A ST235/85R16 tells us it's a special trailer tire and is radial ply. A "D" in place of the "R" would tell us its a bias ply.

A LT235/85R16 tells us it's a light truck tire and the "R" or "D" in the nomenclature description means the same thing for both designations.

USTMA/GOV standards & regulations describe definitions. ST & LT tires are clearly described differently in purpose and usage.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #19

Now for the argument. I run LT's period. Better UV resistance, better tread wear. As long as they have the load carrying capacity necessary you will run without issue. I use Michelin XPS with steel sidewall steel belts for better resistance to impact damage. I have also used LTX's without issue. Tire inspection along with brake and bearing maintenance are a must every year. Any brand of tire can have issues and constant inspection can help head off problems at the pass.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:22 PM   #20

I switched to the Endurance LR Es on my boat trailer and could not be more happy.

On a recent trip, I returned with a nice load of iced fish, which added weight to the trailer with no problems.

Having switched from "china bombs", I have been observing how often we make our in-line tires not track in the same line. Or, for example, park with the tires not in a straight line. I do feel more comfortable with the ST tires for this reason.
Ram 2500 diesel / custom boat trailer
debit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, tire, tires