Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 145
Hi,
I just replaced my aging Carlisle (load range C) tires with Kenda Loadmasters (load range D) and new wheels on my Flagstaff HW27SC. Does anyone have any opinions on these tires. I could not find too much info on them. Incidentally I purchased them at etrailer, date code indicates they are 3 months old.
__________________

__________________
cabranch47
2009 Flagstaff HW27SC (NTU 2014)
1999 Ford F150
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 273
My tire place prefers Carlisle over the Marathons. I will check out these other brands as well.
__________________

__________________
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #13
daydreaming about camping
 
jeeplj8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KC area
Posts: 1,400
This is the brand and tire I prefer.
Greenball Tires - Towmaster

As far as I know they are the only trailer tire that is rated at 75mph at maximum load with standard pressure. I spoke with one of the engineers one time who confirmed they performed all testing with standard inflation and maximum load.
__________________

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 273
I did have good luck with the GY Marathons on our last trailer. Maybe I ought to go that route. Same price as the Carlisles at DT.
__________________
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
Camper Less Camping
 
Cajun Po-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
This is the brand and tire I prefer.
Greenball Tires - Towmaster

As far as I know they are the only trailer tire that is rated at 75mph at maximum load with standard pressure. I spoke with one of the engineers one time who confirmed they performed all testing with standard inflation and maximum load.

I always look for tires that support my camper's GVWR...I like the TM in my size @ 3500lbs/each
__________________
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #16
daydreaming about camping
 
jeeplj8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KC area
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
I always look for tires that support my camper's GVWR...I like the TM in my size @ 3500lbs/each
agreed. I stepped up to LRD from the LRC that came stock.
__________________

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
An expected one of ownership expense should be new tires. So after one year, I have a tiny crack in one of my tires. On our past trailer, we switched to Goodyear Marathons. I was very happy with them, but they are pricey. What other brands do you recommend? All replies will be civil, I know this can be a heated subject.

Next time I buy a new trailer, I think I'll just replace the tires when I take delivery.
What size are your rims? These are European designed trailer tires. The "C" after the size denotes commercial design. Their 205/R14 LRD has a load capacity of 2271# and a Q=99 MPH speed rating.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....4857&tab=Sizes

Airdale
__________________
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
mjones12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lexington, NC
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
First, JohnIII, that kinda looks like a curb rash abrasion maybe. Are you sure you haven't jumped a curb sometime in the past and just noticed the "split"?

As for brands, if you search FRF (and you will not have to search long and hard) you'll see the 3 most popular brands will be GY Marathons (OC's favorite), Maxxis and Power King Towmax. I personally just bought a set of Towmax because my tire guy, whom I've dealt with for 30 years, recommends and uses them on all his personal equipment.

As for RV owner maintenance...your search of the forum will also discover critical things that us owners must consider/remember. Some of those things will be proper sizing, monitor tire age, tire pressures, maximum speed (65 for most tires), RV balance/equal tire weight loading, curb jumping, and trying to prevent very tight maneuvering which put unbelievable stress on the sidewalls.

I'm not a tire specialist and have learned most of this stuff from our friends on this forum.
My last two Surveyors came from the factory with Power King Towmax tires. I had never heard of them and actually thought they might be China bombs, but the first camper went three years and the new one has gone one year now with no tire issues.
__________________
2018 Coachmen Apex 249 RBS
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8


The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
This is the brand and tire I prefer.
Greenball Tires - Towmaster

As far as I know they are the only trailer tire that is rated at 75mph at maximum load with standard pressure. I spoke with one of the engineers one time who confirmed they performed all testing with standard inflation and maximum load.
I used Towmaster on my Palomino Popup and they never failed me. I probably towed that little trailer an easy 10,000 miles on those Towmasters. I was using LRC 12 inch bias ply tires and towed that trailer at 65-70mph all the time.
__________________
ST Williamson
Current TV:'14 F350 Lariat CrewCab, 4x4 Short Bed SRW Diesel w/ Pullrite 2700 (16K)
Current
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
First, JohnIII, that kinda looks like a curb rash abrasion maybe. Are you sure you haven't jumped a curb sometime in the past and just noticed the "split"?

As for brands, if you search FRF (and you will not have to search long and hard) you'll see the 3 most popular brands will be GY Marathons (OC's favorite), Maxxis and Power King Towmax. I personally just bought a set of Towmax because my tire guy, whom I've dealt with for 30 years, recommends and uses them on all his personal equipment.

As for RV owner maintenance...your search of the forum will also discover critical things that us owners must consider/remember. Some of those things will be proper sizing, monitor tire age, tire pressures, maximum speed (65 for most tires), RV balance/equal tire weight loading, curb jumping, and trying to prevent very tight maneuvering which put unbelievable stress on the sidewalls.

I'm not a tire specialist and have learned most of this stuff from our friends on this forum.
So the power king towmax are good tires?? If so lucky me my unit came with them.
__________________

__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
nights of camping
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire, tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.