Old 05-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #11

Rims and pressures

Some wheels are designed to draw in air as they turn to help cool the wheel, tire and brakes. If the wheel is mounted backwards you defeat this cooling effect. Federal law requires that all wheel and rim manufacturers have to stamp the max air pressure into the wheel. Unfortunately it is usually stamped on the back of the wheel so it doesn't affect the appearance especially on aluminum wheels.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
First time I ever heard of a directional rim?
On high performance cars, yes. Its all about venting the brakes to help cool them. On a TT? Does the manufacturer think those brakes will get that hot?

EDIT. Oops. Tireguy was posting while I was typing.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I have asked Forest River via email for this info on my trailer several times, via email, for over 8 weeks. No response.

I simply want to know A) whether the rims I have will validly accept a G614 tire, and B) will the axles I have accept a new 17.5" wheel with GY611 tires.

Can't get an answer.

What kind of tires you have on camper now, are they st tires

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireguy397 View Post
Some wheels are designed to draw in air as they turn to help cool the wheel, tire and brakes. If the wheel is mounted backwards you defeat this cooling effect. Federal law requires that all wheel and rim manufacturers have to stamp the max air pressure into the wheel. Unfortunately it is usually stamped on the back of the wheel so it doesn't affect the appearance especially on aluminum wheels.
Interesting, I've looked all over, including inside (when I had the tire off) and found nothing indicating pressure. I did fine a load range, which answered my question and allowed me to upgrade to LR E tires on my 2015 Hemi Lite
2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500lb WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #15

I had the same question about rim pressure when I went from the factory "C" rated tires to "E" rated tires. When I had the tires changed I asked the tire guy to look for the pressure. He and I both looked. Could not find it. The guy said it should be somewhere on the rim. Finally got an answer from the dealer after he contacted FR and he said they would hold 80 lbs.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:15 PM   #16

Here is a rim manufacturer's specs for a rim appropriate for ST235/85R16F or LT235/85R16G. All 16" LRG light truck tires have a single rim width of 6.5".

So, the basic answer for rim inflation pressures and load capacities can be identified by their manufacturers. As seen in this reference, rims are certified by SAE. The FMVSS directions to trailer builders is to use rims appropriate for the OE tires. Tire manufacturers are required to provide the sizes. Specifications for load capacity and pressures are not required to be on the rim. When not there the rim manufacturer must provide them on request. The rim manufacturer is also required to properly identify each rim, by serial umber, part number or both with a permanent ID tag or rim markings.

TR8 | Sendel Wheels

p.s. FR may drag their feet on a rim spec request because they already know the rim is marked with it and sooner or later the owner will figure out where the markings are. Look inside the rim and somewhere on or in the spokes.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #17

On my Cedar Creek 30RL the rims were clearly stamped on the inside of the rims 80lb. I traded camper and the Goodyears G614 came on the new camper from the factory. The pressure on them is 110lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure