Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by murry52 View Post
If you have Tires with Nitrogen. Remove from TT , mark position they came off and rotate in spring, store tires on their sides one on top of each other and cover loosely
Agree, but don't think I'd be rotating them, I would put them back in the same location as before to be able to detect any abnormal wear caused by either suspension or something else.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Twisty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,138
Thanks for all the replies!
I am not going to remove the wheels because we want to be able to take off on a whim - one of the reasons that we went from a popup to a TT.
__________________

__________________
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
Thanks for all the replies!
I am not going to remove the wheels because we want to be able to take off on a whim - one of the reasons that we went from a popup to a TT.
Just park the tires on a couple of 2" x 10" or 12" planks or the composite deck planks.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
backin15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 390
I also live in Minnesota and park my trailer in mid October and it is not moved again until mid April. I have been doing this for 10 years and have never had a problem with flat spotting or cracking. Maybe it is because of the different construction of the ST tire. I do have a square of pressure treated plywood under each tire. Is storage time really only a month and a half away?!
__________________
backin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Twisty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,138
The TT is parked on concrete pavers just like the Pup was.
I've never had any problems at all with trailer tires.
Now that there is four (five with the spare) tires instead of 2 or 3, I would like them to last as long as possible.
__________________
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
Just to be extra safe, putting non-treated wood boards under the tires might be a good idea. The concrete pavers could still leach out some chemicals that are not-so-friendly to rubber. No facts to back that up, just an extra precaution. Tires are not that cheap anymore.
__________________
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #17
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Just to be extra safe, putting non-treated wood boards under the tires might be a good idea. The concrete pavers could still leach out some chemicals that are not-so-friendly to rubber. No facts to back that up, just an extra precaution. Tires are not that cheap anymore.
Composite deck planks won't rot and won't leach chemicals.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #18
Member
 
murry52's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc

Agree, but don't think I'd be rotating them, I would put them back in the same location as before to be able to detect any abnormal wear caused by either suspension or something else.
The problem you may have by installing back on same location : The uneven wear will progress to far before you notice the wear, take this into consideration
__________________
murry52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Composite deck planks won't rot and won't leach chemicals.
True, but they don't make them wide enough to cover the tire footprint, so one would have to lay two down side-by-side. That might provide uneven support. Regardless, my point was to NOT use anything that might leach chemicals, like treated lumber would. It is obvious that the composite boards would qualify.
__________________
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #20
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by murry52 View Post
The problem you may have by installing back on same location : The uneven wear will progress to far before you notice the wear, take this into consideration
Don't understand your logic, I was under the impression that by inspecting tires that was how they found the uneven wear and by rotating them, you would be distributing the uneven wear to another tire and therefore hiding the cause.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 PM.