Old 08-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by murry52 View Post
If you have Tires with Nitrogen. Remove from TT , mark position they came off and rotate in spring, store tires on their sides one on top of each other and cover loosely
Agree, but don't think I'd be rotating them, I would put them back in the same location as before to be able to detect any abnormal wear caused by either suspension or something else.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #12

Thanks for all the replies!
I am not going to remove the wheels because we want to be able to take off on a whim - one of the reasons that we went from a popup to a TT.

Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
Thanks for all the replies!
I am not going to remove the wheels because we want to be able to take off on a whim - one of the reasons that we went from a popup to a TT.
Just park the tires on a couple of 2" x 10" or 12" planks or the composite deck planks.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #14

I also live in Minnesota and park my trailer in mid October and it is not moved again until mid April. I have been doing this for 10 years and have never had a problem with flat spotting or cracking. Maybe it is because of the different construction of the ST tire. I do have a square of pressure treated plywood under each tire. Is storage time really only a month and a half away?!
Old 08-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #15

The TT is parked on concrete pavers just like the Pup was.
I've never had any problems at all with trailer tires.
Now that there is four (five with the spare) tires instead of 2 or 3, I would like them to last as long as possible.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #16

Just to be extra safe, putting non-treated wood boards under the tires might be a good idea. The concrete pavers could still leach out some chemicals that are not-so-friendly to rubber. No facts to back that up, just an extra precaution. Tires are not that cheap anymore.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Just to be extra safe, putting non-treated wood boards under the tires might be a good idea. The concrete pavers could still leach out some chemicals that are not-so-friendly to rubber. No facts to back that up, just an extra precaution. Tires are not that cheap anymore.
Composite deck planks won't rot and won't leach chemicals.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc

Agree, but don't think I'd be rotating them, I would put them back in the same location as before to be able to detect any abnormal wear caused by either suspension or something else.
The problem you may have by installing back on same location : The uneven wear will progress to far before you notice the wear, take this into consideration
Old 08-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Composite deck planks won't rot and won't leach chemicals.
True, but they don't make them wide enough to cover the tire footprint, so one would have to lay two down side-by-side. That might provide uneven support. Regardless, my point was to NOT use anything that might leach chemicals, like treated lumber would. It is obvious that the composite boards would qualify.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by murry52 View Post
The problem you may have by installing back on same location : The uneven wear will progress to far before you notice the wear, take this into consideration
Don't understand your logic, I was under the impression that by inspecting tires that was how they found the uneven wear and by rotating them, you would be distributing the uneven wear to another tire and therefore hiding the cause.