Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mansons Landing, BC
Posts: 131
I do rotate my tires on my fifth wheel and also have them balanced when first purchased. A lot of tire shops do not balance trailertires unless you ask.

Reason I rotate my tires is that I prefer to back in to a campsite being able to see the trailer and the camp site from the drivers side... Hence the tires scrub more on that side.
__________________

__________________
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #22
Member
 
ACE110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
This was also told to me by a tire guy. Radials break-in or wear in going one direction, then when you move them to the other side of the vehicle, they wear faster now that they're rolling in the opposite direction from how they were broken in. I know car manufacturers will tell you to go side to side, but tire makers will not...😉
X2
__________________

__________________
2012 Forest River Wildcat 313RE
2012 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
Demco Hijacker 18K Autoslide Hitch
BAK Roll-X Tonneau Cover
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
MilCop4523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In a big child free home - except for me
Posts: 1,347
i never have rotated my 4 Travel trailer tires. Always hi speed balanced them including the spare though.
__________________
09 Sundance 31.5 XLT Bunkhouse
17 Greywolf 22rr Toy Hauler
and
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #24
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
To each their own. I've had 5 RV's in my lifetime as a RV'r and have yet to rotate any tire, never had a flat, never had to replace a tire either. Nor will I start now.
6 rv's and x2, have yet to rotate any tires, never had a flat
__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
nights of camping
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #25
tjm
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
If you've properly rotated the tires on your car or truck two always go side to side and turn the other way.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"

I generally do that, but a lot vehicle owners manuals recommend front to back and back to front only.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
tjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
This was also told to me by a tire guy. Radials break-in or wear in going one direction, then when you move them to the other side of the vehicle, they wear faster now that they're rolling in the opposite direction from how they were broken in. I know car manufacturers will tell you to go side to side, but tire makers will not...😉
Michelin's website recommends crossing them.
Tire Rotation | How often should I be rotating tires? | Michelin US

I have always rotated mine by moving the the backs to the front on the opposite side, then the fronts go straight back.
__________________
2016 Flagstaff 23LB
howie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Michelin's website recommends crossing them.
Tire Rotation | How often should I be rotating tires? | Michelin US

I have always rotated mine by moving the the backs to the front on the opposite side, then the fronts go straight back.
X2

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:44 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
Posts: 477
I think some people may want to consider switching tire guys. There is another thread where the guys tire dealer didn't know that an "E" rated tire didn't actually have 10 plies.
__________________
2016 Flagstaff 23LB
howie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 51
Tire direction

To each his own, but to dismount tires so they always rotate the same way is really way out there. That is the first time I've heard that one, and I've had radials since they came out. At first you did keep them going the same ( front to back ) but that changed 30 years ago. My truck manual says side to side ( its a dually ) and that's what I and probably 99.9% do the same.
__________________
leland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #30
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I do rotate my tires on my fifth wheel and also have them balanced when first purchased. A lot of tire shops do not balance trailertires unless you ask.

Reason I rotate my tires is that I prefer to back in to a campsite being able to see the trailer and the camp site from the drivers side... Hence the tires scrub more on that side.
They scrub the same on the other side. They all scrub the same and therefore nothing is gained by rotating them. Balancing with tpms, steel valve stems installed is IMO mandatory.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire, tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.