Old 11-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I had a 2008 GMC that the whole inside of the truck box a totally rusty. I kept it in the garage all the time and the body shop said that was the cause of the rust. In the winter the garage temp was probably around freezing and the truck inside sheet metal never dried out or froze up. So it stayed wet and rusted. Storage conditions play a big part of rusting.

2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #22

This is the first year of indoor storage. But it's ventilated and seemed very dry.

I do wonder about the rust because I see it on people's hitches as well. Unappealing, yes, but I wonder if it's a legitimate concern.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
Just finishing up my rust remediation project on the 2010 Sandpiper 345RET that I bought in July. Original owner picked up the RV in Kentucky in February. Drove it home to Tampa in a snow storm. Then it lived the next couple years a few miles east of Tampa Bay. So, no wonder it has rust issues.

But, I got a sweet deal on an RV that had been sheltered and baby'd as much as you can when you live in Florida and knew about the rust when I bought it. Anyway, all the paint was raised and loose on the bottom outside horizontal portion of the frame i-beams. There was lots of rust on just about every exposed weld joint with surface rust on the flat metal surfaces. Amazingly, there was no rust on the frame protected by the belly pans. After much scraping, wire brushing, and sanding, I resurfaced it all with Rustoleum Rust Reformer and then top coated with Rustoleum gloss black. (I know there's lots of other rust treatment products...most more expensive and not as easy to apply in all the frame nooks and grannies.) Anyway, with it's new home here in NC under my shed, I think she will be good for a while. BTW, I did like the way the Rustoleum Rust Reformer product appeared to work. If anyone wants any tips...give me a shout. My first tip will be...remediating rust on the full frame is a nasty job, no fun and takes lots of patience.
This might help some one. Both my axles where rusted, I never drive in snow or salt. I did not want to wire brush and things and found this product for corrosion. I had to take some class's in corrosion as a HVAC contractor being the Gov. needed a Corrosion proof calcification. I was trained by Carrier Corp. My company had to do a job in Guam, and it was required for A/C'S. The product I found for my trailer is made by MAR-HYDE, it converts rust to black primer sealer ONE STEP. Then I sprayed Rustoleum for further protection looks better then new. Very easy to use. I hope this helps some one please read up on this product, a whole lot easier....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #24

Took delivery on ours 12/31/13 in Orlando Fl. Guess they pulled it from Goshen to Orlando through the snow, slush and salted roads because it didn't take long to start seeing rust on most everything metal under the RV. Wasn't noticeable at the PDI or I would have had them do something about it. It is what it is.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #25

Its not about the coating,its the prep,or lack of it.If you drive down the indiana t-pike ,just a few miles after the exit for I-69 there is a factory that builds rv frames,dont know if its lippert but it doesnt matter.Over the years Ive been past there dozens of times and there is a storage yard right next to the t-pike row,maybe 1.5 acres.There are all kinds of frames stacked up there,some piles being 10 high,5 ers,bps,you name it.They are ALL bare metal.My guess is that the finish facility is somewhere different from the fab facility,so they go out the door to wait thier turn to be painted or what ever.Rain,snow (yes Ive seen so much snow on the stacks you couldnt tell what they were)even morning dew will start rusting on the new metal,and it is even worse where ever there is a weld.We all know they dont sand blast or phosphate them clean,because if they did,they would brag about it.They just paint'em and stack them on a semi headed out to where ever,with pre-deposited rust under the paint!

As another example,I have a 2006 Corn-Pro horse trailer that looks like new inside and out and under. Its sits outside on dirt.When I toured the factory before I bought,the completed trailers went thru a HUGE wash rack that sprayed them with a phosphoric acid bath.The next wash rack was a water rinse and then they were backed and blown dry in another big hot air enclosure.When they came out they were too hot to touch. The dolly they were on went imeadiately to a paint booth where they were sprayed with Dupont Corlar epoxy primer (all surfaces),then baked again. The next station was a color boothe where they recieved 2 coats of Dupont Centari enamel with hardner,then baked again before going to final assembly.

My Equipment trailer is a 2004 hyd tilt back BRI-MAR, made over in pa.I went there too and actually watched my trailer being finished.Same proceedure except they powder coat instead of wet paint. The next day it was rolled out of the plant and hooked to my truck.Its about 95% still good finish,but its had a pretty hard life too.

We also have a 2009 Merhow 2 horse slant goose neck with a 8' short wall LQ.There is no finish on that unit because its 100% aluminum welded construction but,the dealer arranged for us to have full acess to the mfg plant which at the time was in White Pigeon Mi.

Before we bought our wolf pack, I ask if cherokee did tours for customers at the plant. All I got was a "no".

So I guess the finish on the FR frameing needs to just be taken at face value,or for what its worth.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Its not about the coating,its the prep,or lack of it.If you drive down the indiana t-pike ,just a few miles after the exit for I-69 there is a factory that builds rv frames,dont know if its lippert but it doesnt matter.Over the years Ive been past there dozens of times and there is a storage yard right next to the t-pike row,maybe 1.5 acres.There are all kinds of frames stacked up there,some piles being 10 high,5 ers,bps,you name it.They are ALL bare metal.My guess is that the finish facility is somewhere different from the fab facility,so they go out the door to wait thier turn to be painted or what ever.Rain,snow (yes Ive seen so much snow on the stacks you couldnt tell what they were)even morning dew will start rusting on the new metal,and it is even worse where ever there is a weld.We all know they dont sand blast or phosphate them clean,because if they did,they would brag about it.They just paint'em and stack them on a semi headed out to where ever,with pre-deposited rust under the paint!

As another example,I have a 2006 Corn-Pro horse trailer that looks like new inside and out and under. Its sits outside on dirt.When I toured the factory before I bought,the completed trailers went thru a HUGE wash rack that sprayed them with a phosphoric acid bath.The next wash rack was a water rinse and then they were backed and blown dry in another big hot air enclosure.When they came out they were too hot to touch. The dolly they were on went imeadiately to a paint booth where they were sprayed with Dupont Corlar epoxy primer (all surfaces),then baked again. The next station was a color boothe where they recieved 2 coats of Dupont Centari enamel with hardner,then baked again before going to final assembly.

My Equipment trailer is a 2004 hyd tilt back BRI-MAR, made over in pa.I went there too and actually watched my trailer being finished.Same proceedure except they powder coat instead of wet paint. The next day it was rolled out of the plant and hooked to my truck.Its about 95% still good finish,but its had a pretty hard life too.

We also have a 2009 Merhow 2 horse slant goose neck with a 8' short wall LQ.There is no finish on that unit because its 100% aluminum welded construction but,the dealer arranged for us to have full acess to the mfg plant which at the time was in White Pigeon Mi.

Before we bought our wolf pack, I ask if cherokee did tours for customers at the plant. All I got was a "no".

So I guess the finish on the FR frameing needs to just be taken at face value,or for what its worth.
True statement, remember it's lippert not FR. That's the way a frame should be done, but I'm pretty positive that is not being done by them, and we the consumer just has to deal with it later down the line...Thanks for the info. A frame or axle should not start to rust in 1 year......

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer