Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #1

Rust on Frame 2011 Greywolf

Need help regarding rust on the frame of factory ordered 2011 26ft Greywolf. I took delivery from dealer in late Feb 2011, and rust started showing up on the frame in many area. Brought it to the attention of the dealer in July, 5 moths after taking delivery.
Not getting very positive response from dealer service, who have stated that the manufacturer doesn't cover rust issues.
My opinion is that the frame was nevere prepped properly by the manufacturer in the first place for rust to have become an issue after only 5 months.
Would like to hear from anyone who's had same problem or any suggestions for dealing with the service department.
graemeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #2

First, it would be interesting to know where your unit was built and where your dealer is located. Then, what route was used to get to your dealer from the factory.

Given when your unit was delivered my guess is that the rust is being caused by ROAD SALTS. I had this problem with a diesel pusher and it was clear that the dealer had NOT power washed the undercarriage as stipulated by Freightliner for winter deliveries. Eventually, the MH manufacturer and the dealer split the cost of doing a clean up.

Here is a horrendous example of rust. The owner of this unit had a firm of metallurgists prepare an analysis and it dug up the road salts used on the highways used for delivery to the dealer. That salt coupled with a stray battery current resulted in galvanization. His settlement with the dealer and the manufacturer is confidential of course. Mine was no where near as bad as bbk3's. I can't imagine your rust is anything like this either.

album's.

2005 Winnebago Vectra Rust
grandriver125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #3

Well: frame on trailers are not very rustproof to tell you. Around the welding points there is always some rust starting very early and in many points around the frame. Just take the steps for exemple. The rust always needs to be touched up there. I had to check my 2011 minilite almost right after it came from the factory and specially after it came back to me for a repair in winter at the factory. The trailer was shipped back to Canada in february when the roads were all salted. I had to put a coverall and retouch many points under the frame that were showing rust. I used tremclad rust paint. Trailer frames are not like cars and truck frames. The protection is next to nothing even if they tell you that their frame is e coated and all kinds of traitments that they applies. Their preparation on the metal is very basic and the rust start very early on all the makes. Dealers will not deal with this issue because it is considered normal.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:12 AM   #4

Black rustoleum, use it often, whenever you see rust, not a big deal
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #5

I have used POR15 on my previous trailer that did not have an enclosed underbelly and it was like powder coat. You can find it at most autobody supply stores. Stop Rust Permanently with POR15 coatings-POR-15 Inc.

Wear old clothing and rubber gloves or it will stick to your skin for days.

2010 Rockwood 8281SS Signature Ultra Light
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 w/6.7 Cummins
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #6

The dealer isn't going to care about your rust. Sand it down with some emory cloth and spray on some black rustoleum. That's what I do. The sooner you do it the easier it will be.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote