Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Rusty Musket

RV "shake" at campsite

I have a 2012 Cedar Creek Cottage 'destination' trailer. It's 40 ft long with three slide-outs; bedroom, and opposite side slides in the kitchen/living area. The curb-side slide is 13 ft long and the street-side slide is 16 ft.
The RV is permanently parked on a freshly-leveled gravel-covered RV site.
Whenever someone is moving within the coach at the campsite, the entire coach shakes.
I've noticed similar effects in a pop-up camper with cantilevered end beds and a 30' 5vr, but not in a 26' trailer that didn't have slide-outs.
I have six scissor jacks built into the trailer's frame, in addition to my hitch jack, that I keep tightened without benefit.
I've installed Valterra RV stabilizers and BAL X-chocks without any improvement, so I'm thinking the unsupported weight of the extended slide-outs is a significant contributor to the problem.

A few RV neighbors have suggested I install four adjustable floor jacks (available from my local Home Depot, Lowe's, and Menard's stores) under the slide-outs (two under each side) to stabilize the coach.
My questions are:
Could there be any potential damage to the geared slide out bars, affecting the slide-out mechanisms?
Has anyone experienced similar issues and how did they resolve the problem?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Rusty Musket
thetinhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #2

Read the manual you for your slides, I imagine you will find that it is NOT recommended, you unit will settle and this could damage the slides.

If you want you can use the jack stands by placing one on each side in front of the axels and one on each side behind the axels.

I suggest if you do this then place the stands on a 12x12 inch plywood board to keep them from sinking.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
Rusty Musket

RV "shake"

The coach is on a gravel pad, with the four tires on two eight-foot lengths of 2x10 construction grade lumber. The unit came with three sets of scissor jacks, two at the rear of the coach, two just behind the hitch, and a third pair immediately forward of the axles.
The RV is on a slight slope as it is lakeside. The two jacks forward of the axles are on 10 inch pads of 2x10". The two front jacks are on 2x10" pads and single sections of 4x6 treated lumber laid on their side. The two rear jacks are also on 2x10" pads and three sideway stacked lengths of 4x6 lumber as well, and this was done to minimize extension of the scissor jacks.

It would appear based on my current setup and your recommendations that I only need to add an additional pair of scissor jacks with 2x10 base pads immediately behind the axles, or would floor jacks forward and aft of the axles give me more stability?
thetinhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #4

I would try just adding a set of stands behind and see how well it works another set can be added at any point.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The CC Cottage right next door to me at were i have my Golden Falcon has jacked up and placed concrete blocks under the frame. My destination trailer has 8 sets of blocks and most weight is off the tires. To day i revelled my trailer using a bottle jack and varying pieces of plywood for spacers.

Slides should not be stabilized with jacks.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Two 10 ton hydraulic jacks set just in front of the tire (one on each side) at the frame, took the shake out of my 5r.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote