Old 09-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #11

I did more research than I care to think of. My 5er came with E rated Trailer King tires. My wheels psi rating could not be found and no idea who made them. I felt stuck in the 80# PSI range. That just about left me with 3 good options I finally got down to two, Maxxis and Carlisle. I actually was able to contact a tire engineer in Akron OH. I chose Carlisle after speaking with him. Additionally, Maxxis are not as readily available in my area. Although my decision was made I asked the owner of the dealer (owns 3 shops) which he would put on a 5er. He said either one, Maxxis does more advertising but Carlisle does not need to.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
We've all heard of many, many tire failures... but has anyone actually had a wheel failure from too much tire pressure or over loading? And if so, what happens? Does the rim just come apart or do the lug nuts waller out? Or??
Never known, or heard of anybody having a problem with wheels from too much pressure. Would also like to know what actually happens, not what somebody thinks would happen

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
We've all heard of many, many tire failures... but has anyone actually had a wheel failure from too much tire pressure or over loading? And if so, what happens? Does the rim just come apart or do the lug nuts waller out? Or??
I only have heard of 1 wheel failure. The wheel developed a pin hole leak. Owner stated he always ran max psi only. My tire cold psi is 85, oem tires were 80, I run at 85 and so far no problems with tires or wheels.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #14
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsdaletc View Post
SPECIAL TRAILER (ST) TIRE SPEED RATINGS
I keep hearing about load ratings. But no one is talking about speed.
Quoted from an industry (tire) article .
Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65MPH (104 km) under normal inflation and load conditions.
Bear in mind that regardless of the tire or rating, I keep my speed down (62-64mph).

Actually, I believe some recent regulation or something has changed the ST speed rating to 75mph so long as the tires are identified with a speed letter.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #15

Something I discovered the hard way is that you have to use the correct valve stems. My first camper had repeated tire failures and I figured out that the valve stems were blowing out. Went to the Truck style stems and no more problems. So if your camper has rubber stems like your car you are asking for trouble.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:31 PM   #16
TGR

I have a Wildcat 5th wheel, GVWR 11,950 pounds) and I ordered it with the tires upgraded to the Maxxis M8008 tires. I have 15k miles on the tires and I'm pleased with them. I think the Maxxis tires would be a good choice for your rig.

I think the rim's maximum PSI rating is stamped on the inboard side of the rim.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:03 PM   #17

This tire thing is driving us crazy we have emailed forest river and they told my husband we where over loaded ! And of corse I got very upset there is no way I would over load !! We are now having new axles and 15in tires with new rims . I love our cruse lit just don't like how FR has delt with our concerns
Old 09-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #18

Maybe this is a good place to pose this question.

We all have read the horror stories about ST tires failing but has anyone had a failure with an LT or even a motor home tire? Surely there have been some.
jk510 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #19

My .02

I have had 3 motorhomes and 2 bumper pulls and now a 5th wheel and had one blow out on one of the motorhomes. Was my own fault though, I knew the tires were not that great and it was close to home.
I am a BIG believer myself in the speed rating and going over it causes the problems.
I don't go over 65 in "cruise" with the trailers and have never had a blow out. A friend regularly goes 70 to 75 and has had 3 blow outs now on his bumper pull.
The increased speed causes the heat build up and they separate IMHO.

Just my .02
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
Maybe this is a good place to pose this question.

We all have read the horror stories about ST tires failing but has anyone had a failure with an LT or even a motor home tire? Surely there have been some.
I have had an LT tire go flat because of a road hazard. Bolt punctured the tire. But I have NEVER had one blow out on the RV.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires