Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #41
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandSH View Post
Not always. My wheels were marked with a maximum load rating only and no reference to inflation pressure.
2X... same with mine!
Old 09-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #42
Commercial Member

Sorry for delay. Wife is celebrating HS reunion and I am attending a number of functions. Also had to deliver seminar this AM at local library.

OK Back to tires & stuff.

Valves
Many TT come with low cost standard passenger type "snap-in" rubber valves. These valves are rated 65 psi max so some think they are OK for use on LR-C & LR-D tires. While technically correct I look at this like using a hoist rated at 1,000# to lift a 1,000# load above someone's head. May be OK on paper but as we all know rubber items age with time

and temperature and older rubber parts are not as strong as new rubber parts.

I would strongly suggest bolt in metal valves on any RV application. Especially if you are taking the precaution of running TPMS.

At about $3 each they are a good investment for higher pressure applications or when using external aftermarket TPMS or hose extensions and will last longer than low cost passenger valves when installed properly (correct nut torque spec)

OK TIRES
If you are following this thread I will assume you have read and understand my posts on the thread "Why tires fail" as it outlines the main reasons any tire can fail no matter who makes it or where it is made or what color the building is where the tire is made.
What many seem to fail to really understand is that tire damage is cumulative and never repairs itself. Microscopic damage once initiated just continues to grow. Sometimes it will grow fast other times it grows more slowly but it is always growing. Also rubber strength and resistance to cracks or crack growth changes (gets worse) with time/age. So just because you were properly inflated or not speeding at the time of failure that does not mean that the reason for the failure is not related to the load or inflation or speed you were traveling days, weeks or even months earlier.
Every time you turn a corner or have a side wind blowing on your RV the tires on the outside of the turn or opposite to the wind get more loaded. This can be hundreds of pounds. This extra load results in a bit more damage occurring at a bit faster rate than when a tire is under-loaded and this damage is cumulative so the time at low load does not balance off the time at high load.
The other thing that is true is that not every tire is equally loaded, even when just standing still. So just because an RV company says your two axles are rated at 6,000 each does not mean that each axle supports 6,000# or your 4 tires is equally loaded to 3,000#. It has been seen that many RVs have one end of an axle carrying 53 or 54% or more of the total axle load so even if you have 6,000 on one axle you may have 3,200# or more on one tire and this is before you have the additional side loading from wind or cornering that can be an additional 200 to 500# or more.

You may also have a pressure gauge that is reading 5 psi high which leads you to think your tire is capable of supporting 3,080# when in fact it is only capable of supporting 2,960#.

Each of the above examples are relatively small and in themselves would probably not result in an early failure but if added up can be a significant overload. Couple than with ever decreasing strength as the tire ages and you are looking at an un-expected failure and none of the above are because you have a leak what leads to Run Low Flex Blowout.

I and many others strongly suggest that you confirm the actual load on each tire and ensure that you have at least a 15% margin. You also need to confirm your master hand gauge is accurate to +/- 2 psi or better. My master is accurate to +/- 0.5 psi and I check it at least twice a year.

Speaking of pressure. Some make the mistake of worrying about too much pressure in their tires and bleed down their hot pressure. This is absolutely 110% the wrong thing to do. When we are offering advice on margin of load that is based on the load/Inflation tables published and the inflation we are talking about is always the Cold Inflation pressure which is when tires are at air temperature and not in direct sunlight or having been driven on for at least 2 hours.
We tire engineers know that tire pressure will change as the temperature of the air in a tire changes with use. The pressure changes by about 2% for each change in temperature of 10°F. Unless you are driving when ambient temperatures are going to change by more than 70°F between checking your tires in the morning and stopping, I would not worry about tire pressure changes. All the above also assumes you NEVER exceed 90% of the max speed rating of your tires. Driving that fast or faster may artificially increase your temperature beyond normal range.

Finally we have the unique tire loading seen only on mylti-axle trailers. The suspension design can result in as much as 24% higher Interply Shear forces trying to tear tires apart simply because the tires are on a trailer. The link is to the results of Google search on the term. Warning the tech talk may put some to sleep.

OK I hope I have answered many of your questions. You can find more at my RV Tire Blog.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Tireman! That was a lot of helpful info for those of us that just don't know a lot about tires.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:26 PM   #44
Crookedread

Thanks tireman9!! Great information!!

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:46 PM   #45

Y'all should sign onto his blog! He really knows his stuff.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:19 AM   #46
Crookedread

CaptnJohn, how do I do that??

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
Old 09-11-2016, 12:28 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedread View Post
CaptnJohn, how do I do that??

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
Here is his blog: http://www.rvtiresafety.com
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:18 AM   #48
Crookedread

Thanks!!

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
Old 05-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
Maintaining correct tire pressure and investing in a good tpms! As a side note, my 2017 Flagstaff came with D range Castle Rock ST tires and a speed warning to keep speed under 75 mph! Checked around and tires are made in China sold by Lionshead in the states. I called the sales office and was assured I could tow at 75 mph! Where I asked,?my truck gets best mileage at 1600rpm around 65! Plan on staying there!
Forest River puts on tires barely heavy enough to cover the trailer weight and my wife's shoes. Blew out all four; one at a time... AND THE SPARE. I wouldn't piss on F.R.'s manufacturing plant if it was on fire! Customer service is non-existant. Dealer is useless as "we didn't put them on."
Grady Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkwalter View Post
Just had a tire separate on my last trip. The tire is a ST225/75R 15 H178 (6 Ply) A Ridgway Sport ST. The tire dealer says a 6 ply tire is not safe on an 8000 lb camper? We have a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8327ss. Forest River says it is fine and they sent me all kind of specifications to prove their point. I purchased 4 new tires with 10 Ply rating for safety! Now Forest River says the rims may not be suitable for an E rated tire? I don't think a tire dealer would install the 10 Ply tire on a rim not suitable?? I trust him more than a Forest River representative. I also know from these forums that MANY campers have had tire issues with Forest River!! Knowing how things are done today, I would assume Forest River will buy the cheapest tire they can get, that meets minimum specifications!! It is all about the money today! So sad. Any ideas from you RV's who actually pull campers?? Thanks, Furman
The tire dealer says a 6 ply tire is not safe on an 8000 lb camper?
The tire dealer sells tires. Forest River built the trailer to DOT approved standards.

I don't think a tire dealer would install the 10 Ply tire on a rim not suitable??
Did you or the tire dealer confirm the rim and valve stem specs? Forest River knows what specs were stipulated for the LRC tire fitments.

It is all about the money today!
It's always about the money. Do you know that our space programs put just about everything in space with equipment from the lowest bidders?

Is your trailer overloaded? Been to the scales to confirm loads on the axles?
Do you store it level or lop-sided? Check the tire pressures at least monthly?
Trailer tires are not required to have the load capacity reserves your automotive vehicles have.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:34 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady Wilson View Post
Forest River puts on tires barely heavy enough to cover the trailer weight and my wife's shoes. Blew out all four; one at a time... AND THE SPARE. I wouldn't piss on F.R.'s manufacturing plant if it was on fire! Customer service is non-existant. Dealer is useless as "we didn't put them on."
Hmmm... My trailer came with load range D tires - spec says 2540 lbs per tire. that's 10,160 lbs for the set of 4. Brochure for the trailer claims a GVWR of 7,320 lbs. The legal sticker on the trailer says GVWR is 7,642. So I have a cushion of 29% or 2,500 lbs for the specs. My actual loaded weight came in at 6,950 lbs, a real margin of 31%. Way more than needed to carry my wife's shoes. 9k miles on the tires so far without issue.

So far, FR and my dealer have more than met my expectations for service.

YMMV
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires