Old 09-07-2016, 05:41 PM   #1

RV Tires and WHO is telling the truth??

Just had a tire separate on my last trip. The tire is a ST225/75R 15 H178 (6 Ply) A Ridgway Sport ST. The tire dealer says a 6 ply tire is not safe on an 8000 lb camper? We have a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8327ss. Forest River says it is fine and they sent me all kind of specifications to prove their point. I purchased 4 new tires with 10 Ply rating for safety! Now Forest River says the rims may not be suitable for an E rated tire? I don't think a tire dealer would install the 10 Ply tire on a rim not suitable?? I trust him more than a Forest River representative. I also know from these forums that MANY campers have had tire issues with Forest River!! Knowing how things are done today, I would assume Forest River will buy the cheapest tire they can get, that meets minimum specifications!! It is all about the money today! So sad. Any ideas from you RV's who actually pull campers?? Thanks, Furman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3671.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	119673  

Old 09-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #2

The ply rating is old standards. Most go by the load rating listed on the tire. Also most E tires have a max inflation of 80 psi, but your rims might not be rated that high.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #3

This is mine from our last trip to Grand Canyon.

About the same size as your tire.

I to replaced with 10 ply, Discount Tire had no issues with the tires on the alloy wheels @ 80 PSI.

They are suppose to be the pros and have done me well in the past so I trust them.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:05 PM   #4

I agree with the dealer i replaced my c rated for 10ply on the last 2 trailers
Old 09-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #5

I just got back from vacation with my forest river wildcat that I have been running Greenball ST235/80R16 Load E, 10ply tires with. Had a blow out and looking to buy something besides these same tires. Weight of trailer with cargo is 12960#. I know there are tons of different opinions and tires out there, but I was wondering if somebody had similar trailer and tire set up that could give me a recommendation. Also, how different is a 10 ply vs. a 14 ply, which Les Schwab is trying to sell me? Thanks a bunch for your responses.
bradybr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradybr View Post
I just got back from vacation with my forest river wildcat that I have been running Greenball ST235/80R16 Load E, 10ply tires with. Had a blow out and looking to buy something besides these same tires. Weight of trailer with cargo is 12960#. I know there are tons of different opinions and tires out there, but I was wondering if somebody had similar trailer and tire set up that could give me a recommendation. Also, how different is a 10 ply vs. a 14 ply, which Les Schwab is trying to sell me? Thanks a bunch for your responses.
I was running a little heavier than that; different trailer though. My Maxxis m8008 tires treated me extremely well (until I started to overload them, but that's a different story and 2,500 lbs. more weight than you're talking - at that point, everything changed).

I read a bunch of things and it seemed like they got the best reviews.

A lot of people switch to LT tires, but I couldn't due to space between the tires and LT tires having a lower carrying capacity than ST tires.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #7

We've all heard of many, many tire failures... but has anyone actually had a wheel failure from too much tire pressure or over loading? And if so, what happens? Does the rim just come apart or do the lug nuts waller out? Or??
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #8

I just changed the tires on my Windjammer 3008 and went with load range e tires so far I have not had a problem with the wheels and the tires did make a big difference in the way it tows
Old 09-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #9

SPECIAL TRAILER (ST) TIRE SPEED RATINGS
I keep hearing about load ratings. But no one is talking about speed.
Quoted from an industry (tire) article .
Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65MPH (104 km) under normal inflation and load conditions.
However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax str tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 MPH by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.
DO NOT exceed the wheels maximum rated pressure. if the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 MPH.
I have quoted this word for word from a page from (tirerack.com ) they got it from tire industry safety standards.

its just like car tires. each car tire is speed rated. I bet we all pull our units down the road at under 65 mph.

We at our shop repair 12 to 15 blowout repairs a season. AND it makes no difference who the Mfr. is .
PLEASE CONSIDER YOUR SPEED WHEN TRAVELING DO NOT GET THOSE TIRES OVERHEATED.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #10

Maintaining correct tire pressure and investing in a good tpms! As a side note, my 2017 Flagstaff came with D range Castle Rock ST tires and a speed warning to keep speed under 75 mph! Checked around and tires are made in China sold by Lionshead in the states. I called the sales office and was assured I could tow at 75 mph! Where I asked,?my truck gets best mileage at 1600rpm around 65! Plan on staying there!

Days camped in FR, 2011 = 20, 2012 = 57, 2013 = 59
... 2014 = 39, 2015 = 52, 2016 = 77, 2017 = 17
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires