Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #21

Added the Firestone air bag kit to my 2012 Silverado Z71 1/2 ton......inexpensive way to add load capacity.....installed myself in a couple of hours.....
capt4903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
As a follow up, we just installed NAPA self-adjusting shocks and see/feel the difference. Taking our trailer out this weekend for one last outing, so we'll see how it does. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
so everyone recommended new springs since shocks don't hold any weight, so you got new shocks
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt4903 View Post
Added the Firestone air bag kit to my 2012 Silverado Z71 1/2 ton......inexpensive way to add load capacity.....installed myself in a couple of hours.....
air bags DO NOT add any capacity. They are for load leveling and ride control only. They make no claims to increase payload.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #24

That's were you are wrong. Air bags depending on the style will increased load. I had inner spring bags and they increased the capacity by 1000 lbs. As stated by the bag manufacture. And would raise the truck bed depending on air volume 3 to 4 inches.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:33 AM   #25

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
air bags DO NOT add any capacity. They are for load leveling and ride control only. They make no claims to increase payload.
x2

You can put springs off of a diesel locomotive on your half ton and it is still a half ton. If springs have gotten weak, replace them; if you don't have enough truck, get another. I don't like air shocks, they are designed to make money for the manufacturer. Having an opinion doesn't make you right.... same for me, its just my opinion... although, I am seldom wrong
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
so everyone recommended new springs since shocks don't hold any weight, so you got new shocks

That's usually the way it goes on a forum.
Subject has a problem, with a solution he likes... Asks for opinions... Does what what he was going to do originally.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 10-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
That's were you are wrong. Air bags depending on the style will increased load. I had inner spring bags and they increased the capacity by 1000 lbs. As stated by the bag manufacture. And would raise the truck bed depending on air volume 3 to 4 inches.
Your wrong, adding extra leafs or air bags do NOT increase your vehicles weight rating or cargo carrying capacity.
Period.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #28

normal for this form people think that they know everything about every product on the market and they know little. If you install a coil spring air bag and when inflated it dose not allow the spring to compress as much as before then the spring is getting a greater pay load from the bag. That is not saying you have made your 1500 into a 2500 truck yes you are right as it improves handling by increasing the payload of the springs. How else do you think they work. As for the original question the person had an older truck that he was not able to get a new one at this time and he was looking for an economical way to get a better ride and raise the rear of the truck during tow until he can afford a new truck. Just because he went with his original idea dose not make it the wrong idea for his needs.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Problem; sagging weak springs
Solution; adjustable shocks?

He in fact wasted money .
I'm not sure it's even a band aid.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #30

One of the issues that people forget is legality.
If you bugger your suspension in an attempt to carry more weight, you don't/can't change the GVWR. The GVWR can only be changed by the manufacturer or a qualified rebuilder.

If you then try to carry more weight than the GVWR allows and get into an accident, and if the cop questions it, you'll be in a legal mess.
Gyrogearloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:43 PM   #31
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrogearloose View Post
One of the issues that people forget is legality.
If you bugger your suspension in an attempt to carry more weight, you don't/can't change the GVWR. The GVWR can only be changed by the manufacturer or a qualified rebuilder.

If you then try to carry more weight than the GVWR allows and get into an accident, and if the cop questions it, you'll be in a legal mess.
IMO, that's fear mongering BS. Cite some specific cases that you know of and what state and the circumstances.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #32

I stand corrected. It's not legal for a business to modify the GVWR unless they are qualified. Quote from the NHTSA legal counsel is below. Notice the last line.

“Because we do not regulate how individuals modify their own vehicles (and thus do not prohibit you from modifying your vehicle’s suspension), we are unable to advise you about the specific modifications that must be made to a vehicle for it to safely carry an additional 1,000 pounds. Among other things, however, you should carefully evaluate whether the vehicle’s axles, brakes, tires, and frame can adequately handle the additional load. We suggest you consult with the original vehicle manufacturer about this question. You may also wish to consult a local attorney concerning possible liability in the event your vehicle is involved in an accident.”
Old 10-30-2015, 12:58 PM   #33
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrogearloose View Post
I stand corrected. It's not legal for a business to modify the GVWR unless they are qualified. Quote from the NHTSA legal counsel is below. Notice the last line.

“...You may also wish to consult a local attorney concerning possible liability in the event your vehicle is involved in an accident.”
That's just NHTSA covering their own a--! Typical of every govt entity or any business.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
IMO, that's fear mongering BS. Cite some specific cases that you know of and what state and the circumstances.

Canada.
Over gvwr..
$73-2500 fine.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 10-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Canada.
Over gvwr..
$73-2500 fine.
Last I heard was Canada was not a state in the US of A.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #36

Connecticut state law Section 14-167a: "The axle weight on any axle and the gross weight of any vehicle or combination of vehicle and trailer or vehicle and semitrailer or any other object, including its load, may not exceed the manufacturer's axle weight rating, the gross vehicle weight rating ...."
Old 10-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #37

Before this turns into WW-3 , about axle weight and the law of it, the OP asked about shocks and spring replacement, he went his route with shocks ( in my opinion wrong route) end of argument , lets talk of better things , don't need to put beer in fridge now its getting colder outside. .
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:49 AM   #38

Isn't it amazing how when the OP decides what to do, right or wrong (according to experts), the thread drags on and usually ends in meaningless rambling. This is typical of all threads and is worse when the subject is pulled towards truck brands or models, weights and capacities or tires; like they usually do. This thread isn't as bad as some, if it in fact it ends now.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:07 AM   #39

Thanks Everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Isn't it amazing how when the OP decides what to do, right or wrong (according to experts), the thread drags on and usually ends in meaningless rambling. This is typical of all threads and is worse when the subject is pulled towards truck brands or models, weights and capacities or tires; like they usually do. This thread isn't as bad as some, if it in fact it ends now.
Thanks for the comments. So far the rear shocks are great - lifting the rear end back to where it needs to be when hooked to our trailer. I don't plan on carrying additional weight, so that shouldn't be an issue. At least now, and thanks to all your comments, I know what my next options are.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle