Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #21

Hmm....I have triple 7k axles...I know for sure one hub has the star...I didn't check the other 5. ...

On my last 2 trailers, 10k and 18k respectively the brakes would NOT lock. ..gain of 10 or not. ..I'm having discs installed on the new one anyway. ..these never adjust are cool, but discs should be an option available imoh...
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #22

Along the same lines: I have a 20 ft. x 7 ft. dual axle cargo trailer that came with self adjusting drum brakes on the front axle. These are Dexter axles. They were on there, no discussion. Not long after I had the trailer I kept hearing some squealing from the curb side when stopping, it was the curb side front tire sliding. I took it back to the dealer and they started shaking their heads when I described the problem. It seems that the self adjusters would work on one side when backing the trailer in a turn so one side would be tighter than the other. When I back into a driveway I always back by turning the drivers side so I can see better. They adjusted the brakes, all four wheels, and I was on my way. Not long after that the squealing started again so back to the dealer again. The talked me into taking the self-adjusting mechanism off as they stated that they were nothing but problems. They gave me all the parts they took off just in case I wanted to put them back on later. They agreed to check and adjust my brakes on six-month intervals for two years to help me with this. Yes, I do know them rather well. That has been three years ago. They kept their end of the bargain for the two years. I have not had that squeal again, the brakes work fine. Yes, the photo in post #4 are self-adjusting drum brakes.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:49 AM   #23

I hear ya on the disc brakes...just big $$ to install. I just talked to etrailer, and their rep says the "never adjust" system is designed to "reset" when you brake backing up, and "adjust" when you brake going forward.

Not sure how well they work in that regard, but we'll see.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #24

I would really like to know what "reset" means. I spent a lot of time studying my new self-adjusting Dexter brakes before installing and understood very well how they adjust, but I'll be darned if I can determine what a reset would be.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #25

Funny, but I asked them the same question. They did not know the meaning of reset, as the rep was simply reading the information available to them.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #26

From something I read online, "reset" may not be the correct terminology.
"This allows the brake assembly to constantly adjust the lining position as the brake drum turns during trailer operation. In speaking to Dexter’s Engineering team, the adjustment feature works as the trailer moves in both forward and reverse directions but the increments of adjustment are much higher in reverse."

So it they just adjust better in reverse than in forward movement.

They seem to work ok on my trailer. But hard to say since I went from a tiny 10 x 1.75" brake to a 10 x 2.25" brake so I added some beef to the system as well as self-adjusting.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:41 PM   #27

Self destruct happening here

I'm going to local repair shop Monday as one wheel has adjusted itself to the point of getting hot. Only pulled the trailer 29.3 miles since delivery and something must have happened as it was pulled over 1,500 miles to get down here.

Local Wheel and Axle shop knows all about self adjusting and work on many that adjust until they fail. Guess I'm one of them.

Need to find a way to back them off manually on the side of the road if that is the case. Warranty probably won't want them replaced.

High water after big rain before I picked it up may have trash in there. We'll see in the morning.

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, trailer