Old 06-03-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
DDC

Self Level-ing Comparison

Been doing some research for a future move to a fifth wheel, wondering what is the preferred self level-ing system, hydraulic or electric? Any input would be appreciated.

Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

If I were to buy one aftermarket, I think I would want a hydraulic system because it should be faster than electric. Not that I'm in a rush- it's just that my current front landing gear is crap-slow.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #3

Camping right now in our nearly new Sabre with ground control 3.0, lci's electric leveling system. So far, it's batting much less then 50%. It's worked close to perfect twice, and hasn't worked about 5 times... I kept getting errors when setting up tonight, and had to manually level.... I'll probably suffer through this season and then get this beast into service for my list...
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

I have hope that Lippert can sort out their hydraulic system where each foot had its own reservoir. That would save long runs of hydraulic lines.

But then again- it's Lippert and likely substandard. I like the Bigfoot system.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:13 AM   #5
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

My Ground Control 3.0 doesn't always do the auto level perfect but running it in manual mode is so easy since the control tells you which leg needs adjusting. Its OK and I like it. Main reason I went electric was it was $1495 vs. $3,300. Also I didn't want to mess with messy hydra fluid.
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:36 AM   #6

Love my crusader self leveling system-no issues. Well worth the cost! I push a button & move on to other setup items while it is doing its thing & BAM, it's done. I think now I'm spoiled but hey, I bought it so I'll use it. Just my 2 cents-sorry for the nickel sized comments.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I have hope that Lippert can sort out their hydraulic system where each foot had its own reservoir. That would save long runs of hydraulic lines.

But then again- it's Lippert and likely substandard. I like the Bigfoot system.
Why?

Being a retired engineer from Cat and doing the last 20 years in hydraulics. I have seen some hydraulic hose runs as long as 20 feet or longer on excavators. Hose assemblies are cheap and easy to replace and trouble shoot. Where electronics will fail and cause all sorts of GREMINALS that controls the hydraulic pumps. You are asking for a nightmare be-careful for what you ask for.

Now I have the 6-point hydraulic level up system on my Cedar Creek 34RL and it has worked flawlessly (knock on wood) so far. My wife is the one who operator the system and all she does is push the button to extend the front legs I un-hook the truck. I than drive the truck away and she hits the auto level and walks away.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
DDC

Thanks for the input, I think the hydraulic system, although more expensive would seem like our best bet.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #9
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Lippert hydraulic works very well if you use it in manual mode. I had a couple of bad experiences using the automatic leveling and haven't used the automatic in a year and a half.....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #10
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Why?

Being a retired engineer from Cat and doing the last 20 years in hydraulics. I have seen some hydraulic hose runs as long as 20 feet or longer on excavators. Hose assemblies are cheap and easy to replace and trouble shoot. Where electronics will fail and cause all sorts of GREMINALS that controls the hydraulic pumps. You are asking for a nightmare be-careful for what you ask for.

Now I have the 6-point hydraulic level up system on my Cedar Creek 34RL and it has worked flawlessly (knock on wood) so far. My wife is the one who operator the system and all she does is push the button to extend the front legs I un-hook the truck. I than drive the truck away and she hits the auto level and walks away.
Truthfully? Irrational fear. I'm a computer guy and the long runs seem like they'd be problematic (but no different than the long runs of everything else in the camper).

Thanks for a proper perspective.