Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #1

Semi truck tread got me!

A Big truck recap tire broke off my front LCI stabilzing motor.It broke off right at the transmission. If any one has a good motor & transmission for the LCI unit send me a PM. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Arizona Rv..... Biggest used parts yard... have pics to send...
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Semi tread got me too.

I can't find one either. Local RV says he can't order special parts. Phoenix RV says send them a pic. I was able to put the gears back into the housing and the electric motor as well. And yes it still works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0905121325.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	19903   Click image for larger version

Name:	0905121326.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	19904   Click image for larger version

Name:	0905121326a.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	19905   Click image for larger version

Name:	0905121327.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	19906  
Old 09-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Arizona RV salvage
2737 West Lincoln Street Phoenix, AZ 85009
(602) 272-0301
Old 09-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
A Big truck recap tire broke off my front LCI stabilzing motor.It broke off right at the transmission. If any one has a good motor & transmission for the LCI unit send me a PM. Youroo!!
I never had a Semi recap piece hit my vehicle, but when I see pieces of them on the highway I once again vow to never drive at night on an open highway.

Some of those pieces are sizeable and being black, they can be very hard to see at night until you are right in front of them. I can only imagine what one of those pieces can do to your front end assembly, transmission. engine oil pan, etc. if you hit one at highway speed.

Sometimes they can be difficult to avoid even in daylight as they suddently appear as you top a hill or come upon a curve.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #6

First there is NO motor to wire back on,second we were NOT driving at night,third we were boxed in a lane between big trucks (Blamo there is the Recap) cant stop,cant swerve. All of the PAST info leads one to believe that a Complete stabilizer assy must be purchased. Lazy Days here in Tucson,AZ. had a part # for JUST the motor & gearbox assy. Had it flown in from F/R to here,(Lazy Days Campground). Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (5).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	19960  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Site Team

I have read in other forums that the motor on these Lipperts is a Klauber C800...but you may have a hard time getting Klauber to sell you one, as it is not listed on their website.

There is someone on ebay selling them for $375 (maybe Lippert themselves LOL)

Lippert Components Replacement Electric Stabilizer Motor Klauber C-800 | eBay

If anyone here does come up with another brand drop-in replacement....please let us know.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
First there is NO motor to wire back on,second we were NOT driving at night,third we were boxed in a lane between big trucks (Blamo there is the Recap) cant stop,cant swerve. All of the PAST info leads one to believe that a Complete stabilizer assy must be purchased. Lazy Days here in Tucson,AZ. had a part # for JUST the motor & gearbox assy. Had it flown in from F/R to here,(Lazy Days Campground). Youroo!!
Now you need to fabricate a "Scattershield" to protect it. I just might design one. Had never thought about it until you posted your mishap.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
Site Team

I found this on rv.net, where someone said they got the motor from Klauber:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: rear stabilizer motor

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Enjoying Member

Boy we know how this feels.

On the way home with our Wildwood Toyhauler when it was brand spanking new we had a mishap similar to this. We were in a construction zone and it was one of those two lane sections where all truck and trailer traffic must use the left lane so we were right behind a line of semi's. The road jogged to the right and one of the trucks ahead of us clipped one of those orange construction barrels. It came out the back of his truck and under the truck just in front of us. It went all down the left side tires of the semi in front of us and with no where to go it went under our truck and then our brand new trailer. I was so frustrated I was just waiting for a tire to go flat. I was sure there was going to be extensive damage to both units. I was half expecting to see bumper debris hanging from the front of the truck when I stopped. Being in a construction zone there was no where to pull off unless I went thru the barrels to get over so I just continued and waited and calmed down. No tires went flat and when we did get a chance to pull off the highway safely I discovered that there was only a small scratch on the left front bumper and aprox 9 small dents in the diamond plate shield on the left front of the trailer. It looks like someone hit it with a small hammer. No other damage was ever found and all in all it was a minor issue but boy was I upset about it when it happened. Something about a brand new vehicle that should get many miles on it before it gets damaged.

Nights Camped: 2013-15 2012-28 2011-16 2010-10 2009-30
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2WD w/trailer pkg 345HP 5.7 Hemi/5spd Auto/3.92 Rear
2008 Wildwood 23FLSRV - Prodigy Brake Controller - BlueOx WD Hitch
2011 Harley Electra-Glide Ultra Limited (His Bike) - 2005 V-Star 650 Classic (Her Bike)
ScottnKimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
B47

Quote:
youroo -if you are referring to my reply where I say I don't drive at night, I was not saying you were driving at night, etc.

I am sorry that you suffered this damage and from what you say here that you didn't say in your first post, it appears that you were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #12

A few years ago, we were traveling the interstate in a car. From out of nowhere came a HUGE chunk of tire, flying through the air. There was no where to go at 70+ mph with traffic on both sides of you. The tire hit the hood and then the windshield and finally bounced over the top of the car. Thankfully, the windshield didn't break, but it left a huge dent in the hood. We were all scared s***less and really didn't think about where the tire went after it hit us. Sometimes you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
H2oski

I was on I65 a couple of years ago going thru a construction Zone, you know the one with the concret dividers on both sides and narrow lane pulling my flagstaf 831RLSS and a large hard shell piece of luggage came off the roof of the SUV in front of me and I had no where to go. Hit it with the front left of my truck and knocked the front end alignment out of wack.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #14

I was attacked by an overhead sign. The ones that tell you the exit. The really big ones. Luckily I was able to swerve and miss it. That would have been bad.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #15

Just last week we were coming back from a trip out east, heading into a wicked wind. There was an older pickup in front of us, about a quarter mile. All of a sudden, I see something black rise up out of his box. Turns out it was the plastic boxliner, the genius didn't bother to fasten it down.
Sure glad I was following my normal procedure of leaving lots of room between me and the idiots that are so common on the road.

As for semi tires, years ago we were heading south on a long trip in our car, at night, and ran over a semi tire cap, the entire tread! We didn't see it until it was too late. Luckily, the old car took it like a champ. If it had been our new car, with all of the wires hanging down for abs and pollution sensors, there probably would have been major issues.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #16
camping

Quote:
should of called- theres a whole bunch of them down at the factory- could of had one removed and shipped out long before the Amish could catch me....
sorry to hear about that.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #17

Update,new motor,new transmission,new rocker switch,and new step light installed. Still at the Tucson Frog Rally! Youroo!!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Update,new motor,new transmission,new rocker switch,and new step light installed. Still at the Tucson Frog Rally! Youroo!!
That's great news, now you have to figure out how to protect it from happening again with some kind of shield. When I get mine figured out and made, I'll take some pictures.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #19

Prevention helps,but (LUCK) helps a lot of the time ! Youroo!!