Old 07-21-2015, 02:11 AM   #1

Severe Brake Pulse

We are two thirds of the way through a three month trip and yesterday developed a real severe trailer brake pulse at low speed on our Wildcat T28RKS. It's only noticeable at low speed ( coming to a stop) but really rocks the trailer . I'm in Dawson City in the Yukon so limited services. We just completed 700 miles of gravel road travel so wondering if that hasanything to do with it. I can't tell if it is an in-
Hub mechanical problem or an electric problem, although everything else electrically seems fine.
Would appreciate some input before I star pulling wheels.
Thank you

Old 07-21-2015, 06:40 AM   #2

Just a thought your brake controller adjustment didn't accidentally get changed?

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman View Post
We are two thirds of the way through a three month trip and yesterday developed a real severe trailer brake pulse at low speed on our Wildcat T28RKS. It's only noticeable at low speed ( coming to a stop) but really rocks the trailer . I'm in Dawson City in the Yukon so limited services. We just completed 700 miles of gravel road travel so wondering if that hasanything to do with it. I can't tell if it is an in-
Hub mechanical problem or an electric problem, although everything else electrically seems fine.
Would appreciate some input before I star pulling wheels.
Thank you
I'm sure others will jump in but it could be several things; grease on the linings, out of round drum, magnets going bad, or brake controller. Probably will need to do process of elimination. I would jack each wheel up and rotate to see if you feel any drag-release-drag type feeling (good way to determine out-of-round drum). Pull each wheel and check for grease on linings and any other issues. go to etailer.com, some good brake troubleshooting data on that site. Gets into how to check magnets etc. It takes a little time but you'll eventually nail it down.
2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500lb WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Just a thought your brake controller adjustment didn't accidentally get changed?

Probably the quickest and easiest thing to check. This happened to me last week when I noticed the same thing that Filterman is describing and the front drivers side wheel would lock up. Turns out the power adjustment was somehow turned up all the way. No idea how that happened but once I backed it off, problem solved.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2017: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #5

just serviced a self adjusting brake. if one of these over-tightens, you could get a warped drum and a pulse. I get it figured out before you venture on...
Old 08-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Be responsible and pull the drums and inspect. I would bet you'll find a grease on lining issue.

Also, just a suggestion to buy an inexpensive IR thermometer to carry in the tow vehicle and when you make stops, walk around and point it at the drums / hubs / tires on the tow vehicle and trailer.

We caught a dragging / stuck left front caliper on our truck once (and it wasn't pulling to the left either) and a incorrectly adjusted brake on the RV (on the way home from buying it).

$25 and a bit of diligence will save you a LOT of grief on day.

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes