Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #1

Slide out motor

My fifth wheel has the electric slide motor. It used to extend fully and then make a ratcheting sound when it reached full extension. On our last trip, the motor no longer makes the ratcheting sound and tries to pull off the moulding inside. I have been real careful not to extend it too far, but am looking for opinions as to the reason it now operates this way. I will probably just replace the motor and make sure the inside trim is fastened firmly.

Thanks for any help.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That sound is the slip clutch, so you won't overload the motor at the end of the slide travel. It is there as a safety of sorts. It may have a problem, or may not. We instruct folks not to run the slide till they here it. When the motor starts to slow down at the end of travel, it is time to quit. If there is a problem, it is not the motor, but the clutch. Not sure on your unit if you can repair, or get a clutch only. Make sure before you purchase anything.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #3

Thanks windrider, that's the way the dealer showed us to to it back in 2005. I will look at it.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I would start here if you have a Lippert Frame.
Lippert Components, Inc Shopping Cart
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:08 AM   #5

Thanks Herk, you are a wealth of knowledge. I will keep that in my bookmarks.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #6

I have the same system on my pull out and what I do is; when the motor start to labour ( you can hear that it start to work harder ) I shut the switch before the clutch start to clics. If I have to open a bit farther after I do it very gently. Like that the clutch does not comes in action. This system is very powerfull and I can tell you that one time I forgot to remove the safety bar when opening the slide and it did not take long that the top cabinets started to come apart from the wall. It was just starting to separate and I was able to fix them myself.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #7

Someone told me the same on another forum, but this was the way the dealer showed me when I had my PDI back in 2005. I will use that method from now on.