Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #1

Snapped a cam!

Hey everyone I had something happen this weekend that I am curious about. I have a reese weight distribution hitch with the anti-sway cams. I was turning around in a parking lot and one of the hanging cams snapped off. It made a hell of a noise. It snapped of right where the cam turns into the threads. The metal is about 1 inch thick. I don't think it an equipment faillure but rather that I turned too tight. I have not owned a WDH for very long and don't have a lot of experience. Did I screw up?

Bianchina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #2

Sorry for your issue. I have made some really tight turns with my dual cam setup going forward and backing up without issue. I believe you should contact Reese about this to see what they say. They may deny a replacement but might be able to make sense of this so it doesn't happen again. Also download their installation instructions to see if it was installed right by the dealer. Please let us know what you find out.
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #3

Spoke to Reese today. Great support!

The person I spoke with said you can snap the cam's off if you turn 90 degrees but that would be really tough to do. The bar would have a problem first. If the installation was bad it would tow bad; the cam snapping would be the least of my issues.

Bottom line is that they didn't have a good answer as to why it would snap. Again he thought there would be other issue before that occurred.

For what it is worth I had to buy a wrench big enough (1 1/8") to be able to get the hitch off the truck and move it up 4 inches so the trailer wouldn't bottom out. I know there are bigger wrenches out there but that is the largest I've ever owned. It will now sit in my tool box never to be used again!

I bought a replacement on etrailers but I had to buy a pair for $138 (Reese confirm that they are sold in pairs). You do not have to replace in pairs but they are sold that way. I saw it for sale on Amazon for $92 but it said "Usually ships in 1 to 3 months". MONTHS!

Bianchina3 is offline   Reply With Quote