Old 07-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #41

TMPS=greatrvproducts.com

Don't leave home without one!

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #42

weight

Extra weight on tires can apply to those who tow fifth wheels with 1/2 t
and those who tow tags with vehicle that is not big enough....for half ton towing fifth wheel pin weight has to be around a 1000 lbs...instead of 1500-2000 or more....transferring that weight to the trailer tires....weight has to go somewhere....when you use equalizer hitches and level out the sag on the back of tow vehicle, where does that weight go? The other effect of not enough pin weight is chucking.....and or excess sway with tag.

Just something for all who tow to think about.....the above combined with rutted road from tractor trailers and pot holes along with driving at max speed is recipe for accident......be safe and slow down, whats the hurry your house is with you.....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
and those who tow tags with vehicle that is not big enough....for half ton towing fifth wheel pin weight has to be around a 1000 lbs...instead of 1500-2000 or more....transferring that weight to the trailer tires....weight has to go somewhere....when you use equalizer hitches and level out the sag on the back of tow vehicle, where does that weight go? The other effect of not enough pin weight is chucking.....and or excess sway with tag.

Just something for all who tow to think about.....the above combined with rutted road from tractor trailers and pot holes along with driving at max speed is recipe for accident......be safe and slow down, whats the hurry your house is with you.....
Thanks man. I certainly agree with the bad road conditions messing with tire entegrity. I don't understand tho, how a trailer knows that you're towing half ton or 3/4 ton. The weight on the pin is the same no matter what's under the pin, isn't it? Unless I'm missing something. Are you saying that my 5er weighs more on my 1/2 ton than it would hitched to my father-in-law's 3/4 ton? And how would that effect the weight on the tires of the trailer?
With TT, the weight distribution hitch transfers some of the weight on the hitch to the front axle of the tow vehichle and reduces some of the weight on the rear axle. I suppose some of the weight may be transferred back to the TT, but don't see anything that would make that happen on a 5er. But, I have lots to learn. I'll do a little research and maybe find out what I'm missing.
Thanks again. David
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #44
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Thanks man. I certainly agree with the bad road conditions messing with tire entegrity. I don't understand tho, how a trailer knows that you're towing half ton or 3/4 ton. The weight on the pin is the same no matter what's under the pin, isn't it? Unless I'm missing something. Are you saying that my 5er weighs more on my 1/2 ton than it would hitched to my father-in-law's 3/4 ton? And how would that effect the weight on the tires of the trailer?
With TT, the weight distribution hitch transfers some of the weight on the hitch to the front axle of the tow vehichle and reduces some of the weight on the rear axle. I suppose some of the weight may be transferred back to the TT, but don't see anything that would make that happen on a 5er. But, I have lots to learn. I'll do a little research and maybe find out what I'm missing.
Thanks again. David
I agree David, the trailer doesn't know whether it is towed with a 1/2T or a Peterbilt, the pin wt or trailer wt doesn't change.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
TMPS=greatrvproducts.com

X2!!! My TST TPMS alerted me to a slow leak on one of my original factory tires that I am positive saved me from a tire disaster!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 18,950 Nights camped 192
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #46
Where should we go next!

Wow! That's a great set up. May have to look into one of those systems in the future.

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
Surveyor SV291
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offagain View Post
I purchased my two new Goodyear Marathons size ST205/75R14 Max Load 1760lbs 4ply tires @50psi for $92 each.
I checked today and the same tire here cost $93 each plus $15 for mounting. Not a big savings, unless they mount and balance for no additional cost.
2015 - 91
2016 - 171
2017 - 107
Blaster 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #48

This is a very popular subject on both RV and Marine forums--all brands.

As far as I can tell, avoid the current Goodyear Marathon "willpops" like the plague. Goodyear's G614's are really great tires, but they're really expensive @ $399ish in 16" sizes. They require metal valve stems for 110-125 lbs. pressure and not all RV wheels are rated for such pressure.

If you're going to stick with ST tires, Maxxis M8008's are the only decent tire that's affordable. Kumho 857's are good but just 14" tires--for bass boats and light RV's.

Alternative trailer tires are "commercial rib tires" like they use on 1 ton work trucks. These will be LT tires with an E weight rating. They will be the Bridgestone Duramis R250, BFG Commercial T/A, Michelin XPS Ribs and Cooper Discoverer Maxx.

When my new fifth wheel trailer arrives shortly, first step will be to swap out the Chinese tires that just about every manufacturer puts on them. There are horror stories written online just about every day about shredded tires with little or no mileage on them.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
TMPS=greatrvproducts.com

X2!!! Great advice!

According to reputable tire dealers, the vast majority of trailer tire failures are due to under-inflation. This can happen through road hazards no matter how careful you are about starting your day at the correct cold tire pressure! I hit a nail just outside of Meade, KS that dropped the pressure down and warned me before any damage resulted. I pumped the tire back up and limped into town. The boys at the co-op there repaired the tire and I was on my way in about 1/2 an hour.

Without TPMS, the tire would almost certainly have blown; whether or not it was an ST or LT tire would have been irrelevant.

When trailers like my lightweight Crusader experience a tire failure, the damage seems to run between $3,000 and $5,000 as a rule, as much of the skirting, underbelly and sub-floor get chewed to pieces.

A TPMS is great insurance, and also lets you relax at least a little bit because you know exactly what's going on "back there".

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 18,950 Nights camped 192
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post

Please explane how the weight transfer back to the trailer axles of a 1/2 ton compared to 3/4 ton TV? I do not understand the logic of that at all...... I might be wrong but chucking is not caused by the pin weight?

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires