Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #1

Angry (Solved) Leveling Jack Hydralic Leak Advice Needed

We have a 2008 Georgetown 350 SE with LCI hydralic system. I just noticed hydralic fluid on the leveling jack foot pad. I ran the jacks down and found the source of the leak. It's coming from the top of the collar on what appears to be some sort of locking nut on the lower portion of the leveling jack. It's looks like this collar is threaded and has some sort of set screw that holds it in place as well. Has anyone else had this problem?

We're considering trying to back that collar off and seeing if we can put sealant on the threads to try and stop the leak. Is this feasible? What problems might we encounter when we back that collar off? Any advice is welcome.
Gtambke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We only one we have had in the shop was replaced under warranty, the whole jack. Sounds like an "O" ring on the ram is leaking, and the whole jack would have to come out and be torn down in order to fix it properly. Sealant on the threads may help, but is not the "proper" fix. I have repaired/rebuilt other hydraulic rams in the past on other equipment, most all are very similar, other than size. If you decide to rebuild, make sure you find a kit first, piston, seals, "O" rings, etc., and get the torque specs on those caps.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #3

No Rebuild Kit

Talked with LCI and they tell me that there is no rebuild on the leveling jacks, they have to be replaced. They also tell me that they have never seen one leak where mine is leaking. Also talked with the Service dept at the dealer where I purchased it (used) and they are also saying that I need to replace the entire leveling jack. BUMMER!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

At least you got the answer from the experts. I'm going to call this solved, although others may chime in later. Now you could find an RV salvage yard, and get one used, with warranty...........
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Repair of jack

Find a hydraulic jack repair shop, ask if they can repair the jack?

Just a suggestion.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtambke View Post
We have a 2008 Georgetown 350 SE with LCI hydralic system. I just noticed hydralic fluid on the leveling jack foot pad. I ran the jacks down and found the source of the leak. It's coming from the top of the collar on what appears to be some sort of locking nut on the lower portion of the leveling jack. It's looks like this collar is threaded and has some sort of set screw that holds it in place as well. Has anyone else had this problem?

We're considering trying to back that collar off and seeing if we can put sealant on the threads to try and stop the leak. Is this feasible? What problems might we encounter when we back that collar off? Any advice is welcome.
I had a similar problem with the driver's side front jack. I set a pan under the whole thing. Disconnected the hoses and took a pipe wrench and unscrewed the main cylinder. Once I got it apart I took teflon tape and carefully wrapped the threads so that it didn't overhang the end of the pipe. Threaded it back on and got close to another 1/4 turn of tightness. I made sure the hoses would reconnect when I stopped tightening. It's been fixed for over 4 years now and hasn't dripped a drop. I only lost about a cup of AFT. I added the same amount back to the tank. Ran the jacks and slideouts up / down and in and out a couple times. It's been fine since. 18" Pipe wrench left a couple scratches on the pipe. I cleaned the pipe with brake cleaner, then wiped down with alcohol. Painted it and just check it from time to time. So far it's good.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #7

My 1st of only two warranty jobs was three leaking jacks. Took 10 days of prime camping time in Sept. last year. I still maintain problem caused by severe angle of sales lot put a set in seals to one side. Year later still tight.

Other item was LCI control harness, reverse valve shorted always on.

I've had four M/H's in my driveway past 15 years. Till this one no one showed inerest, now with a Georgetown 378 I've had tons requests to see it, always with OMG!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #8

Smile Experts were all Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I had a similar problem with the driver's side front jack. I set a pan under the whole thing. Disconnected the hoses and took a pipe wrench and unscrewed the main cylinder. Once I got it apart I took teflon tape and carefully wrapped the threads so that it didn't overhang the end of the pipe. Threaded it back on and got close to another 1/4 turn of tightness. I made sure the hoses would reconnect when I stopped tightening. It's been fixed for over 4 years now and hasn't dripped a drop. I only lost about a cup of AFT. I added the same amount back to the tank. Ran the jacks and slideouts up / down and in and out a couple times. It's been fine since. 18" Pipe wrench left a couple scratches on the pipe. I cleaned the pipe with brake cleaner, then wiped down with alcohol. Painted it and just check it from time to time. So far it's good.
We did the exact same thing and it worked like a charm. Put it under pressure and not a single drip. When we got the line loose we found that the collar really wasn't even tight. We backed it off and used teflon tape on the threads. I think we got more than full turn beyond where it was originally. Hope it lasts, but for now it's way better than buying a new hydralic jack. Still puzzled that none of the experts had a clue about this problem and simply suggested buyin a new jack. Thanks for saving the day for us, leaving more $$ for camping.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I know the feeling about the experts. Had to 2 different dealers and both said there wasn't a leak. So once I had it home I investigated the top of the leveler and carefully wiped the threads off and sure enough the next day it was wet again. I now knew where the problem is and proceeded to do my fix. I'm glad it worked out for you as well.
It took me a while to find info on LCI's site about that style levelers. I'll look for it and post it on this posting once I find it on my zip-drive.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote