Old 11-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
Love My Sunseeker
Something I learned about Ford E450 Engines

I have a Sunseeker 3170 2013 model (but engine is 2012), and I recently had my "check engine" light come on. Engine is E450.

Got it in to a local auto repair place. They initially suspected fuel filter, but on further inspection found out....... NO FUEL FILTER.

I asked, "no fuel filter as in THERE IS SUPPOSED TO BE ONE or no fuel filter as in just not there?"

Turns out..... Ford stopped using fuel filters on 2012 and later.

And it turns out my "check engine" problem was air filter. During my last oil change, someone looked at my air filter, told me it was "fine" but didn't put it back correctly in the casing. Thus, it expanded and caused issues. Interesting.....

JJ only, my cat went to Rainbow Bridge July 2015

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
There's a fuel filter sock in the tank

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins
Maybe THAT is where all those socks go when they go missing in the drier!

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Maybe THAT is where all those socks go when they go missing in the drier!
No they transform into Tupperware lids.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
Left Coast
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Or dental floss..
Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
Ignoring the bad jokes, it did not seem right that Ford would only use a sock on the fuel pump to protect the fuel injectors. Socks were used on cars before fuel injection just to keep large junk from plugging up the fuel lines. Even vehicles with carburetors had fuel filters. I found this was discussed earlier in this forum. There's a real filter, not just a "sock". At some point the manufacturers combined the fuel pump and fuel level sensor into one piece so they could make them cheaper. It appears that now they have added the fuel filter to that combination so they could eliminate the labor and parts to install the fuel filter separately. Of course, now you have to replace a more expensive part if any one fails, but they get to sell them.

I just looked in the Workshop Manual for my 2010 E450. It says the fuel pump assembly includes an "inlet filter" and a "lifetime fuel filter", in addition to the fuel level sensor. So it still has a "sock" that keeps junk out of the fuel pump.

Here's the earlier thread:
Where is the fuel filter?

PS My understanding of any "lifetime warranty" is that it is not as long as you live, or the life of the product, it's the life of the component. In other words, it will last as long as it lasts, at which time it has reached the end of its lifetime, and is then out of warranty.

..... Guaranteed to not break. If it does break, you own both pieces.
2011 Sunseeker 3100
1997 Pathfinder Toad
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
I have a 2004 GMC Yukon Denali XL and learned a long time ago that I have a life time fuel filter built into the fuel pump.
The only thing that makes me feel okay is that in all the years I have changed fuel filters (30 or more) I have only once found one plugged up(dirty gas and gas station paid to clean tank and lines out).
The one that bugs me a bit more is the cabin air filter is also life time and you have to pull the dash off to find it.
None of it sounds right to me....grumpy but I'm up to 167,000ml and still going
2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
2004 Yukon XL Denali
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #8
Problems with E450 engine

I have a 2015 3170s and had the same problem, the engine light and the gas cap light came on during our maiden voyage. It turned out to be a vapor release valve on the top of the gas tank under the body. Ford dealer (not very helpful at first, then came around ha ha) they conducted a vapor emmisions fogging test and found the broken valve that was broken during building of the unit. Good luck with the repair. hope this helps.
Wilber2484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #9
It has something to do with EPA, no more external filters only in the tank.
Hornnumb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #10
E450 engine problems

Thank you, all I know is that it was fixed. I did find out that not all ford dealers will work on motorhomes. Got the run around. I did find a ford dealer that is about 45-60 minutes away. I hope i never have to use them. This is the second Ford product i had and i don't think i would ever buy a Ford product again. Thanks again Travel safely.

Wilber2484 is offline   Reply With Quote