Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #1

Space between tires

I have a 2009 Forest River, Cedar Creek. I noticed that the space between the tires on the left side is about an inch. The space between the tires on the right side is about two inches. Took into the shop and they said it was from to many tight turns to the left. wanted $700, (not to fix the problem, but slow it down). Any ideas? I just can't believe that this is the problem. I am thinking factory defect.

Thanks.
Todd.
Todd757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
H2oski

A friend of mine had the same problem on his Big Horn and what we found was his trail air equa flex had rocked aft and got hung up off center and the tires on that side had started separting. When we measured the tire diameter one tire was 1 inch in diameter larger than the other tires. He had to replace the tires on that side and replace the equa flex OEM bolts with wet bolts so he could lube them. Bottom line the equa flex had froze up. Hope this helps. Good luck.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #3

Thanks for the input. The "shop" said that they measured between the axles, and the left side was about one inch shorter than the right side. I am Not impressed with them at all. I am going to try and talk to a Forest River "rep" about it. When I get it back home, I will measure the tires like you said. BTW. I am not familiar with equa flex.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #4

Sounds like an excuse for poor Lippert construction. It is not right and needs to be corrected.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

I would measure the circumference of the tire and divide by 3.1412 to get the diameter as well as measuring between the axles on both sides myself. 1" difference in diameters is a bunch and I would have to see how they measured that. Pretty hard to do without a special tool. We had one to measure race car tires. Easiest and most accurate is just run a tape around the center of the tread and do the math.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. I talked to "Kevin" at Forest River, and he thought that the leaf springs on the left side were getting "soft". He suggested that I have the camper weighed. Over weight condition is the main cause of the spring problem. He asked me if I thought we might be over weight. I told him my "wife" packed the camper so it is probably over the limit!!!!!!

Stand by for "news"

Thanks again.

Todd.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd757 View Post
Thanks everyone. I talked to "Kevin" at Forest River, and he thought that the leaf springs on the left side were getting "soft". He suggested that I have the camper weighed. Over weight condition is the main cause of the spring problem. He asked me if I thought we might be over weight. I told him my "wife" packed the camper so it is probably over the limit!!!!!!

Stand by for "news"

Thanks again.

Todd.
see thats where I put my foot down ..........
she shows me what she WANTS to put in and I show HER what she GETS to put in !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

f1100turbo, all I got to say is "BS" to you putting your foot down. You may put your foot down, but only to take the stuff she sits out for you to take to the camper.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
f1100turbo, all I got to say is "BS" to you putting your foot down. You may put your foot down, but only to take the stuff she sits out for you to take to the camper.
I think you may have seen right through my post !
Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd757
I have a 2009 Forest River, Cedar Creek. I noticed that the space between the tires on the left side is about an inch. The space between the tires on the right side is about two inches. Took into the shop and they said it was from to many tight turns to the left. wanted $700, (not to fix the problem, but slow it down). Any ideas? I just can't believe that this is the problem. I am thinking factory defect.

Thanks.
Todd.
Todd I am not saying this is the problem but make sure you check For signs of flexing on frame my cedar creek is in shop now being fixed from this they are installing cross bracing as frame had hairline cracks from flexing. I have seen many posts on other RV sites from cedar creek and cardinal owners that have had this problem seems to be common on these models
Jon
jalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

On my Wildcat I noticed outside edge of the rear axle right side tire wore. The tire was also closer to the other. Also that equalizer was pushed forward. What I found was the leaf spring on the wore tire axle, was overstressed and when the spring looses it's arch, it gets longer. In turn the stretched spring, pushed the axle forward, since it's bolted solid in the rear, causing the tire wear.
Clear as mud?
Also I believe what caused this was the previous owner had used a ramp under the tire to change a tire. All the weight on the spring flattened it out.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #12

after reading this thread, I decided to check my tire spacing. I've got about 7/16" of diff. between the left and right side of my surveyor. the leveler are down and I'm not on pavement. Trailer has less than 1000 miles on it and tire wear is not yet noticable. Trailer tows great. Should I be real concerned??? Trailer has never come close to being overloaded.
vp22er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #13

7/16 inch over 8 feet? Naw, they are going to probably tell you it is within manufacturing specs. But if it makes you feel happy to hear it from them, by all means contact them.
BTW that is about what mine is. And after 7 years the original tires were nice and even when they came off two weeks ago.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #14

Thanks for the follow-up Donn. I feel alot better about it now.
vp22er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #15

Tire size tool.

Here is a great little tool to help you with tire size, I've been using it for years.

Tire size calculator

Enjoy.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #16

I would check the equa-flex first. It is the rocker assembly between the front and rear leaf springs. If it has hung up in one direction or the other, it will shorten the distance between the wheels and can cause lots of other problems. I'm new to TTs but not to dual axle trailers. This is more common than you might think.... On my last bass boat, I had to make removing that assembly and greasing it a part of my Early-Spring maintenance every year.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #17

2009 246RLBS Wildwood LA 5'er--dealer is telling me that all 4 wheels are rubbing underbelly of trailer when I hit a hard bump--said I have about 2" of clearance above tires--factory sized tires on unit--they recommend changing shackles for additional clearance--told them will advise---any suggestions,anyone with same problem---Thanks,Chuck
chuck lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Chuck check to see if you have an additional set of holes to move leaf springs down and affectively move trailer up.
I have two sets of holes 2 to 3 inches apart to raise or lower camper.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I think you may have seen right through my post !
Ray Charles could see thru that post! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #20

Big Problem with Lippert axles

Took my 5th wheel in for a second opinion and between the shop and Forest River, they decided that I need new leaf springs. No help with warranty cause I am not the original owner. Also found out that the left side shocks had been rubbing the inside of the tires. Called Camping World, (where I had it in the shop the first time), and asked them if they knew about the tire rub. They said YES. I bought crapped myself. I asked why did no one tell me of this problem. They even let me take my camper off of the lot KNOWING of a potential deadly problem. They said that they would work with me to fix the problem. Tried to talk to them, no good. Emailed the maint. mng. Have not heard from him yet. NEVER again will I step foot on a Camping World facility again.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

Todd.