Old 04-13-2012, 02:01 AM   #1

Space between tires

I have a 2009 Forest River, Cedar Creek. I noticed that the space between the tires on the left side is about an inch. The space between the tires on the right side is about two inches. Took into the shop and they said it was from to many tight turns to the left. wanted $700, (not to fix the problem, but slow it down). Any ideas? I just can't believe that this is the problem. I am thinking factory defect.

Thanks.
Todd.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
H2oski

A friend of mine had the same problem on his Big Horn and what we found was his trail air equa flex had rocked aft and got hung up off center and the tires on that side had started separting. When we measured the tire diameter one tire was 1 inch in diameter larger than the other tires. He had to replace the tires on that side and replace the equa flex OEM bolts with wet bolts so he could lube them. Bottom line the equa flex had froze up. Hope this helps. Good luck.

(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #3

Thanks for the input. The "shop" said that they measured between the axles, and the left side was about one inch shorter than the right side. I am Not impressed with them at all. I am going to try and talk to a Forest River "rep" about it. When I get it back home, I will measure the tires like you said. BTW. I am not familiar with equa flex.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #4

Sounds like an excuse for poor Lippert construction. It is not right and needs to be corrected.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

I would measure the circumference of the tire and divide by 3.1412 to get the diameter as well as measuring between the axles on both sides myself. 1" difference in diameters is a bunch and I would have to see how they measured that. Pretty hard to do without a special tool. We had one to measure race car tires. Easiest and most accurate is just run a tape around the center of the tread and do the math.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. I talked to "Kevin" at Forest River, and he thought that the leaf springs on the left side were getting "soft". He suggested that I have the camper weighed. Over weight condition is the main cause of the spring problem. He asked me if I thought we might be over weight. I told him my "wife" packed the camper so it is probably over the limit!!!!!!

Stand by for "news"

Thanks again.

Todd.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd757 View Post
Thanks everyone. I talked to "Kevin" at Forest River, and he thought that the leaf springs on the left side were getting "soft". He suggested that I have the camper weighed. Over weight condition is the main cause of the spring problem. He asked me if I thought we might be over weight. I told him my "wife" packed the camper so it is probably over the limit!!!!!!

Stand by for "news"

Thanks again.

Todd.
see thats where I put my foot down ..........
she shows me what she WANTS to put in and I show HER what she GETS to put in !
Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

f1100turbo, all I got to say is "BS" to you putting your foot down. You may put your foot down, but only to take the stuff she sits out for you to take to the camper.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
f1100turbo, all I got to say is "BS" to you putting your foot down. You may put your foot down, but only to take the stuff she sits out for you to take to the camper.
I think you may have seen right through my post !
Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd757
I have a 2009 Forest River, Cedar Creek. I noticed that the space between the tires on the left side is about an inch. The space between the tires on the right side is about two inches. Took into the shop and they said it was from to many tight turns to the left. wanted $700, (not to fix the problem, but slow it down). Any ideas? I just can't believe that this is the problem. I am thinking factory defect.

Thanks.
Todd.
Todd I am not saying this is the problem but make sure you check For signs of flexing on frame my cedar creek is in shop now being fixed from this they are installing cross bracing as frame had hairline cracks from flexing. I have seen many posts on other RV sites from cedar creek and cardinal owners that have had this problem seems to be common on these models
Jon