Old 07-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #1

Spare tire is dicey!

An interesting discovery today in regards to the spare tire on my Freedom Express 246 RKS. To install a battery switch where I wanted it, I lowered the spare tire from the A frame to make access easier. The spare on these units are stored underneath the A frame, via a retaining cable that lowers/raises the spare. So I lowered the spare enough, installed the switch and raised the spare back to original position.

Once raised back in place, the tire had rotated slightly and exposed where the tire had previously had contact with the frame of the battery carrier. I was surprised to find that the frame had impacted the spare tire sidewall and caused wearing that was quite visible. Enough so that I would not trust this tire on the highway, perhaps around the block but certainly not at highway speeds.

So, as I thought it over, the spare as originally mounted, was not raised evenly and as a result one side had more pressure on it than the other. The opposite side had a mark, but no wear.

I'll most likely replace this spare tomorrow before I head out next weekend on the next trip. Next decision is where to keep the spare to prevent damage in the future. Back bumper? Under the bed storage?

It validates a saying I've used for years when describing life support equipment used in an activity....two is one, one is none.

Appreciate any input others may have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spare1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	112874   Click image for larger version

Name:	spare2.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	112875  

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2017: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Can you put a rubber pad between the frame? Like a piece of horse mat.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Can you put a rubber pad between the frame? Like a piece of horse mat.
DW made that suggestion as well. My thought was there will still be movement/pressure/etc on the tire. Certainly, it would be better than not having something there. That placement of the spare tire is nice...its easy to access, is protected (or so I thought) and easily checked (or so I didn't ), so I may do just that.

You'll notice in the pics that I added protective tubing over the propane line and the bolt holding the WDH bracket. So, I try to be proactive on potential problems. This forum has been a fountain of information for me in this regard.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2017: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Sidewall depressions are common occurrence and I have not heard of any negative effect on tire durability.
A much higher probability of problems with the use of a spare come about from the fact that almost no one checks the inflation of the spare so most are under inflated when applied. With a resultant failure due to overload.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #5

Rubicon??

Just wondering with that credo.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #6

I'm not sure if this would work... I've noticed that Walmart sell Teflon in sheets. The noted purpose is for crafters to iron on appliques, keeping the iron clean. So the stuff has to be somewhat substantial. You could put a couple of layers between the tire and the frame. That might handle the rubbing issue.
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #7

Thanks looks like something that should be checked. Let us know what solution that you come up with.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #8

"Two is one, one is none". I like that. Thing about us Firefighters is we are always thinking "what if?". I'm the same way. Drives DW nuts. But I've got to keep her safe. Well done brother.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #9

I cut a piece of ĺ treated plywood on top of my tire to protect it, and keep water from standing around bead of tire and rusting rim.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I'm not sure if this would work... I've noticed that Walmart sell Teflon in sheets. The noted purpose is for crafters to iron on appliques, keeping the iron clean. So the stuff has to be somewhat substantial. You could put a couple of layers between the tire and the frame. That might handle the rubbing issue.
When a spare is properly tightened against the frame there is no relative motion i.e. rubbing. I believe you will see this on S-10 or equivalent.

If the indentation is your main concern then you might make a plywood doughnut shape to spread the laod against the entire sidewall.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire