Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #1

Spare Tire mount on rear bumper, yes/no??

I bought a spare tire mount for my rear bumper, but with all of the discussions about cracked welds and broken rear bumpers I am now wondering if I should put the spare tire in the truck or TT instead of haging it on the rear and having potential problems with the bumper failing.

Has anyone had a bumper fail due to a spare tire being mounted on it?
225x75x15 is my tire size.

thanks.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #2

Yes.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...gth-16380.html
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
your post is what got me thinking about not using it, I don't want a cracked weld, but then again I will never have a bike mount installed so hopefully only a spare tire will not cause any damage.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #4

I had removed the bike rack some time ago and everything was ok. I removed the bike rack because the bikes rubbed against the rear window frame doing some damage and the rack itself began to fall apart. There was no damage to the bumper at that point. This cracked weld happened when only the tire rack was attached to the bumper.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 09-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
Site Team

the physics involved with a bike rack, extending away from the trailer, are different than a spare tire tucked right against the trailer. the bike setup resembles a fulcrum that with the bikes bouncing, held out from the mounting point, will cause a bumper to fail way before a spare tire.

are you talking about a spare tire for your trailer or TV?
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
the physics involved with a bike rack, extending away from the trailer, are different than a spare tire tucked right against the trailer. the bike setup resembles a fulcrum that with the bikes bouncing, held out from the mounting point, will cause a bumper to fail way before a spare tire.

are you talking about a spare tire for your trailer or TV?
I am talking about a spare tire for my TT, i bought the clamp on style holder that uses "U" bolts to attach to the square bumper.

Thanks for the response.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Site Team

considering how many TTs have a bumper mounted spare, i think you'll be fine but be sure to keep an eye on the welds.
i have my spare on the rear bumper.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #8

i only relate my experience , the choice is yours but I was one of those who said that the bumper can hold bikes and tires as long as it is secured firmly. I have retracted that statement and now believe the bumper is merely a sewer hose holder. nuff said.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 09-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #9

What surprises me is that my TT does not have a spare tire or a tire holder. It is a dealer model with elec brakes w/ breakaway, LP bottles, etc. I am thinking the previous owner must had either removed the spare and carrier or it was delivered from FR without the option. You would think that all TT would have a spare included as standard......
Old 09-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
You would think that all TT would have a spare included as standard......
nope, most TT manufacturers list a spare tire as an option.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Per FR, about the Ultra-Lite Line of 5th wheels and campers with the 4 inch square tubular bumper, it is rated for 150 pounds static PROVIDED it is located no further than 6 inches from the centerline of the bumper.

The further away from the bumper centerline you go, the load goes down rapidly. Additionally, if there is room for movement up and down that will also drastically reduce the allowable load due to the twisting of the bumper as the load moves.

The spare tire mount used by FR is allowed. If you do use it; NOTHING else is allowed. Bike mounts are prohibited due to the distance from the centerline and the play (movement) associated with bike mounts.

Ultra-Fab Folding Spare Tire Carrier for Trailers and RVs - Bumper Mount Ultra-Fab Products Trailer Cargo Control UF15-954730

Is the "approved" bumper mount for the 4 inch bumper. (It is the one that came from the factory on mine.)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #12
Cutty

Thumbs up spare tire mount

The only thing Ive had problems with is when we bought our unit the previous owner had bottomed out on the tire and bent the rack and mount so it was lose and tore the bottom of the cover. Surprisingly it did no damage to the tire and rim. So I fixed it with a big hammer inspected everything and bolted it back on. The mechanics fix on the tire cover was good old duck tape but my wife said that's not gonna get it so we are ordering a new one.
bbcutright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #13

That's interesting. Not sure how every trailer bumper is welded, but every camper I've had, the bumper was welded to the frame on each side. It would appear to me that mounting in the center would be the location allowing the most yield even though the bumper would twist along it's axis up to the frame welds where the steel temper would have changed due to heat affected zones, so I'm a little dubious.
I mounted mine on the right side as close to the frame welds as possible, and it's very rigid. Now, I haven't sat on the tire while traveling, but if it's rigid in my drive, then I expect little change when traveling.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:06 PM   #14

The new TT we purchased last July came with the spare mounted in the center of the bumper from the factory. It was a clamp on type mount that I promptly moved to the front and mounted on the right side of the tongue. I personally prefer the spare mounted in front.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #15
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Been cross country twice with numerous side trips north and south, with no problems with center mounted spare on here..
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #16
Cutty

when we got our TT mine was bent because the previous owner bottomed it out. It bent everything except the bumper. no broke welds just bent pieces on the the tire mount.
bbcutright is offline   Reply With Quote