Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

Spongy Floor

Hey all..

After five years it seems that the floor is getting soft in a few spots along the stove / refrigerator area. Does anyone know what way the floor joists run underneath. I snaked an inspection camera around and did not see any indications of water or water damage. Just wondering if anyone else has had the issue.
KDEL1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #2

Spongy Floor

Damn keyboard
Old 07-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #3

I believe the floor joists run the length of the camper, rather than crossways.
There is only a thin layer of "plywood" over the joists and styrofoam, so is easy to crush it over time. The styrofoam is firm at first, but repeated loads from foot traffic eventually crush it, and then the thin plywood just caves in.
Seems to be a common problem, and why we never wear shoes in or lightweight. It has the same floor construction, although I think the "plywood" is a little bit thicker. I am not sure what year they made that change.
This is one of the sacrifices one makes when buying a lightweight camper, although it is getting more common as the manufacturer looks for ways to cut costs.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #4

Thanks! I have been thinking of dropping the underbelly and reinforcing the floor. I have a signature ultralight and never even thought of the thin materials. I was assuming the joists ran across the short side.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

I almost bought a lightweight with our previous truck setup...happy I didn't as I read more stories about the same floor issues your having, ashame you have to do any structural work on your RV...good luck

Old 07-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #6

I think your floor is the same as mine, so you cannot do anything from underneath. The floor is a sandwich of plywood (thin), styrofoam and aluminum joists, then another layer of thin plywood. They spray glue all over everything, then put it in a press until dry.
It seems the only solution when this structure starts to sag is to put a layer of laminate flooring over top of the vinyl, and preferably across the joists. I don't know of anything else that would take the load off the soft spots.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #7

2014 Surveyor Sport 240, I've developed a spongy floor, in front of Kitchen by the bathroom door, any ideas ?
FandD Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #8

I have a 2010 Sierra 355QBQ fifth wheel and the floor in front of the kitchen sink has been spongy since we bought it new. No access from underneath it is covered. I'm not sure how to or if i even want to tackle it. My camper isn't even a light weight. I would welcome suggestions or ideas as well.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:36 PM   #9

Spongy Floor

Hopefully the weather will let up soon, and I will be dropping the underbelly. We are going out in April and I want to look into it beforehand. I will let you know how it goes. I don't know if I want to mess with the new laminate floor route or not. Does anyone know what the subfloor looks like from the topside? Is the Styrofoam on top or sandwiched between the luan plywood? This seems to be becoming a more commonplace problem.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDEL1970 View Post
Hopefully the weather will let up soon, and I will be dropping the underbelly. We are going out in April and I want to look into it beforehand. I will let you know how it goes. I don't know if I want to mess with the new laminate floor route or not. Does anyone know what the subfloor looks like from the topside? Is the Styrofoam on top or sandwiched between the luan plywood? This seems to be becoming a more commonplace problem.
Here is what it looks like,cut out for the shower trap?? Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	45694   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2196.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	45695   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2198.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	45696  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #11

I had a 2010 xlite 26bh this fall I had a spongy floor from the kitchen all the way back to the toilet I could find no water leak any were bit when I went under the shower the wood was wet. So I contacted fr total repair not looking for anything but advice on finding the water leak I have them my vin and they said they would call me back. A day later the call I got was drop off your camper and we will put a new floor in it and mine was bought new in sept 09 so I would call the factory an start their the only answer I could get out of them was that they had supply problems and water came in around the wheel wells. Also when I picked it up there was 2 more of the same campers next to mine at total rv repair.
ohio xlite is offline   Reply With Quote