Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #1

spring leafs?

We have a 2011 Surveyor SV302 that has been in for numerous warranty issues. Now the trailer is riding with 1/4 inch between the wheel well covers and the outside of the tires on both sides. Is this a warranty/recall issue and approximately how much will this cost? Is it safe to drive it to a repair shop 30 miles away with that low of a clearance?
guitar-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Denver, CO

Now that is a weird one? 1/4 inch is not enough. Maybe unload everything out of the TT and increase the clearance. How id it come to be this low?

Short answer is I would not tow anywhere with that issue.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #3

We're not sure either. We just got back from Mt Rushmore and it ran great-today it's sitting lower than before and we have to drive it to Lakewood for repairs on Tuesday-unless we meet a mice person with a flatbed tow truck lol
Old 06-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

You might try jacking the frame up and cutting some 4 x 4 blocks and put over the axles at the springs up to the frame and go very slowly and try to avoid severe bumps.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Denver, CO

I like the flatbed idea.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
I like the flatbed idea.
I do too, but wouldn't pay the price whatever it is and I bet it isn't cheap. I'd make steel spacers and go myself, but wood would work.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Denver, CO

Wait a minute? Is the situation side clearance? or wheel well clearance, or both?

I would at least get a mechanic to look under there to see whats happeneing and determine if it is safe to pull. It very well may not be. A local gas station guy or frame shop should be able to tell.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

If the trailer has sagged down to 1/4" tire clearance on the top, the sides will also be very close.

Best solution is to drive your truck to the dealer, get the springs and take them home and do the switch yourself without moving the trailer or hire someone to come over and do it.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #9

Passenger side tire towards the front has a 1/4 inch clearance to the wheel well and a piece of metal extending from the frame about 2 inches from the front of the tire. The driver (slide side) tire toward the rear bumper of the vehicle has the same 1/4 inch clearance. Both sides the other tires are at least 2 1/2 inches from the wheel well. We looked for the spring leafs or springs under the rig and don't see anything unless they are under the enclosed box over the axels. There is no room for blocks (which is a great idea if it would work) and flatbed towing from Aurora CO to Lakewood Co is very expensive.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I do too, but wouldn't pay the price whatever it is and I bet it isn't cheap. I'd make steel spacers and go myself, but wood would work.
With all due respect, most of us don't have the mechanical know how or equipment or experience that OldCoot does. When something like this happens it is best to assess the situation and determine a likely cause and move on from there. An extra $50 bucks to check it out before moving the TT would be forgotten if major damage is done. Maybe there is someone you know with mechanical experience that could at least take a look for a case of beer or something.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #11

I posted some pics on FB but can't get them to transfer here yet FB is Katie Traugott West if you want to look at them-by the way this is guitar-man's wife, he is letting me vent this time.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #12

Old 06-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #13

Old 06-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar-man View Post
I posted some pics on FB but can't get them to transfer here yet FB is Katie Traugott West if you want to look at them-by the way this is guitar-man's wife, he is letting me vent this time.
I was "unlucky" and only found a Katie Traugott West from buffalo, NY.
Could you link the FB page to me in a PM?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
Denver, CO

No springs in view? that means an AL-CO axle or something like that. Busted axle?

I work in lakewood and can pick something up for you from the dealer if that will help. I'm in Estes Park in my TT till Tuesday, but can help after that.

might be time to take some got pictures of what ya got. Maybe pictures to the dealer might help diagnosis the problem. Which dealer is it.?
Old 06-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #16

Dealer is Ketelsens but they cannot see it until first part of August. I have an appointment at an axel place in Lakewood on Tuesday if she is towable. I am going to see if someone can come take a look while she's parked in our backyard before we pull her.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #17
Denver, CO

I can't figure anything out from these pics, maybe a couple more from a little further away would help
Old 06-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #18

No cracks or broken axle or missing rivets or anything. Frame looks great and all the pieces are there-it is really weird that she dropped like this. As far as doing it ourselves we are not even part time mechanics and I am disabled so this is our "medical hiatus summer fun" rig and it's not shaping up to be so great. We have reservations at Golden Gate Canyon and Dowdy over the next few weeks
Old 06-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #19

Ok I'll go take some more, thanks!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #20
Denver, CO

Sounds like the whole axle assemblies have shifted with the drivers side back and passenger side forward. I'm not even sure how that could happen. Brackets must be broken or loose and shifted things. That can't be good. Be careful, very very careful.