Old 03-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

10 4 on the towing over 65

Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

I commented not to start, or continue, a flame war, but to present some additional information I got from an accredited source.

Anyone wishing to independently confirm this information with the source quoted is free to PM me for his phone number.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Not all tires made in China are bad; just like all tires made in the USA are not "good." It is a question of price and quality control. Name brand tires, like Goodyear, Pirelli, Goodrich, etc, offer a second level of quality control over and above what is required by DoT.

Here is the web site for manufacturer codes:
DOT Codes

Here is how to "read" a tire:

For example: in the pictured tire, find the molded code MDHH right after the DOT
The first 2 digits are WHO actually made the tire.
In this case: Goodyear Rubber Company in Gadsden Alabama.

Look as well at the 4 numbers 2510
This is the manufacturing date code.
this tire was made in the 25th week of 2010
On the bottom of the DOT CODES is a link to the 2nd 2 digits which is tire size. Mine are DOT 83B4. Looking up for B4 is not my tire size. weird.

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2010 Ford F-250 King Cab Diesel
Harley Davidson Edition
jriddering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #24
Site Team - Lou

I will email Walter and see what he has to say...

I found this in the mean time:
DOT Number

All tires sold in Canada must have the "DOT" ((Department of Transportation), or tire identification number, moulded into the sidewall. Our tire has a DOT number of GHYT 4501. The first two characters after DOT indicate the manufacturer; the second two characters indicate the plant where the tire was manufactured.

Next you may see an optional string of three to four characters. Our example does not include this code. Most manufacturers use these to record company specific information about the tire, and, if necessary, use them as a guide when issuing product recalls. Because they are company specific, these codes are not standardized and are meaningful only to the manufacturer.

The last three or four digits give the date the tire was made. For all tires built after 1999, this will be a four-digit number with the first two digits giving the week number, and the last two giving the year. For many tires built previous to 2000, the date indicator will consist of three digits, the first two giving the week number and the last giving the last digit of the year. In our example tire, the last four digits of the DOT code are 4501, so our tire was made during the 45th week of 2001.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Walter's response:

"After the location code the codes become mfg. specific, you would have to contact your specific mfg for that. I am at a rally in Phoenix til next week, so I might not be able to get right back to you this week if any other questions come up, but I will try.
Thanks for your interest in Safety."

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #26
Dallas Texas

Thanks Lou.

For you folks that like to organize by files here's a crazy long a .pdf of the DOT codes.

Bill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DOT Codes.pdf (82.4 KB, 192 views)
Old 03-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #27

Ok - I feel so guilty about getting such great info free of charge, I feel like I need to send a payment for technical support. Maybe a beer if we ever meet will do. Thanks Lou and everyone for the research!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #28

In addition to the ST vs LT debate, there may be other considerations that caused your blowout. We also have a 2010 Cardinal 3515 and last fall, after 15 months of ownership, had a Goodyear Marathon tire blow causing fenderskirt damage and frustration. To make a long story short, the shackle plates installed on the unit were too thin and the bolts had wallered larger holes (which you could not see) causing the tires to cup and deteriorate quickly. Forest River ended up paying for replacement of much heavier duty shackle plates, the 4 new tires we had to buy and damage to the unit. Will have to say they were very good about it. We did replace our tires with Goodyear Marathons because on previous trailers, including a large toyhauler, they held up well. Can't say whether they were made in China but just wanted to point out that you need to make sure nothing else caused the blowout other than tire failure.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #29
Site Team - Lou

For a long time I blamed my OEM Carlisle tires for a damaging blowout on my camper when it was about 13 months old.

When someone mentioned a "curb strike" as the cause of his blow out I remembered I had had one on that tire my second trip out. It most likely took a while for a broken belt wire to eventually cause a tire failure at speed 3 months later.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #30

Tires

Herk 7769
You can go with the information you get from all the experts you want but I would prefer to listen to the people who tow their trailers fully loaded for hundreds or thousands of miles a year and they all seem to have much better luck with LT tires than ST tires.

Tags
led pad