Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingarian View Post
My plan as of now is to purchase 4 new Goodyear G614 RST 235/85/16
tires and press on.

Please respond with any helpful suggestions.
IMHO you are nuts to continue with 16 inch tires. Get a set of 17.5 inch tires/wheels. Their nominal load rating is around 4500 each. This should nearly end your problems for ever.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #42

Very good advice, that 5er is heavy and you can't have to much tire.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #43
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
IMHO you are nuts to continue with 16 inch tires. Get a set of 17.5 inch tires/wheels. Their nominal load rating is around 4500 each. This should nearly end your problems for ever.
Changing tire size is one thing, but changing tire size and wheel size is a bit much for most people considering it is not necessary. There are literally thousands of 5vers on just oversize tires or heavier lr tires that are not having problems. Tire pressure monitoring is probably the best blowout prevention you can get other than having the proper tire size for the load.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Changing tire size is one thing, but changing tire size and wheel size is a bit much for most people considering it is not necessary. There are literally thousands of 5vers on just oversize tires or heavier lr tires that are not having problems. Tire pressure monitoring is probably the best blowout prevention you can get other than having the proper tire size for the load.
How hard is it to bolt on new tire/ wheel? TPMS will not prevent a tire failire. All it can do is warn s driver there is some loss of air pressure. For any trailer over about 14,500 GVWR. 17.5 inch tires are your best insurance. With load ratings in the range of 4500 ounds each chances of failure because it is at capactiy are non existant.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #45

Quote:
How hard is it to bolt on new tire/ wheel? TPMS will not prevent a tire failire.
I think he is meaning more on the price side of things. I am looking at 1" larger rims and better tires for our 3000 mile round trip to Canada and it's a good week's paycheck for the combo. Also, TPMS will allow you to ensure that your tires at optimal pressure. Incorrect pressure will lead to failure, so I can see that as prevention.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
How hard is it to bolt on new tire/ wheel? TPMS will not prevent a tire failire. All it can do is warn s driver there is some loss of air pressure. For any trailer over about 14,500 GVWR. 17.5 inch tires are your best insurance. With load ratings in the range of 4500 ounds each chances of failure because it is at capactiy are non existant.
Definitely talking about the cost factor. Buying tires is a pretty good hit for most of us and then add the cost of wheels is a big hit. A tire pressure monitor should be used regardless of what size tires are used. Even tractor trailers use them and they have real heavy duty tires and a lot larger wheels.
Just saying.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #47

I guess it all boils down to how much is it worth to you sitting along side the road for a few hours waiting for a tow truck to haul your damaged trailer. And how much is a ruined vacation worth? A grand for marginal tires or 2500 for peace of mind. Your choice.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Thank you, and all other respondents.

I am not worried about the price difference in upgrading my tires, I'm of the opinion that quality is everything. One good set that will last will surely save me money in the long run.

The plaque on the 5er states the tire size and recommended pressure. The manufacturer is certainly pushing these tires to the limit as the pressure on the plaque is the maximum for the tire at 110 psi cold. The tires are rated for 3451 at that pressure.

I would love to go to a larger and higher rated tire but after measuring them just now I don't think Forest River had that in mind when they designed the rig. I measured exactly 2 inches between front edge of the rear tire and rear edge of the front one. I'm obviously not an expert on tire size fuzzy math. Can I get the 17's and stay within the existing overall tire dimensions? I don't think I can get heavier than the current load range of "G" while staying in the current size of LT 235/85/16.

I don't currently run an active tire pressure monitoring system, but with my problems I have been very vigilant in checking them before getting on the road each day and when I stop for fuel or any other reason for that matter.

Thank you again

Any and all ideas or intel on the matter is greatly appreciated.
slingarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #49

Quote:
I guess it all boils down to how much is it worth to you sitting along side the road for a few hours waiting for a tow truck to haul your damaged trailer. And how much is a ruined vacation worth? A grand for marginal tires or 2500 for peace of mind. Your choice.
With a thought process like that, why bother leaving the house at all. I mean, an asteroid could crash into you while going down the highway

In the real world, things are going to happen. It's Murphy's Law at its finest. You could "invest" in that $2500 set of tires and wheels, and have a nail, sharp rock, or such leave you in that same situation while the guy that didn't, and many the others that haven't, go on without issue.

While I agree that it is best to mitigate as many problems as possible, some people just don't have the means to do so. You wouldn't tell someone on minimum wage with a rusty 1992 Ford Tempo without airbags or ABS "You're nuts to drive that unreliable car without airbags and ABS! You should buy a new car" For many, you do your best with what you have and make it work. A used TPMS for, give or take, $200 will help a person without that couple grand get along with their setup.

In the end, leave the fear mongering to the insurance companies and the government. That's what they sell. For the rest of us...

PS: No offense to the insurance agents out there.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:24 AM   #50
Site Team - Lou

OK, folks,

Thank you for everyone who took the time to respond. As you can tell, there is always robust debate when tires are the topic.

It is clear that changing tires and/or rims is not for the faint of heart and requires a lot more study than reading opinions on an open forum.

Besides the extra cost involved, there can be substantial risk if the wrong tire/rim combination is placed on your camper.

As always on an open forum; "Caveat Lector" or Let the Reader Beware.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsgtivr6 View Post
With a thought process like that, why bother leaving the house at all. I mean, an asteroid could crash into you while going down the highway
I'd be more worried about dumb ***** drivers who come down on ramps at the posted highway speed on a long weekned with 3 full lanes of traffic only to see the side of my 33 foot long trailer to their left and to my left a Transport truck and trailer along with 300 other trucks and cars.

I so want to get a bumper sticker for just beside my door that says:

DRIVER IF YOU CAN
READ THIS
EITHER SPEED UP OR
STOP BECAUSE I CAN'T
Old 05-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #52
Site Team - Lou

I have been guilty of this once or twice. In every case it was because of poorly designed on ramps with insufficient acceration lanes or poor vision to the rear due to curves.

I have been trapped on both sides of this equation and I know how frustrating it is wanting to move over and let a guy in off the ramp and being blocked by a dufus on my left pacing me. I have also been the merging guy (who is doing everything right by getting up to traffic flow speed by the end of a short acceleration ramp) praying that the over taking guy who left "almost enough" room sees my predicament and slows down a couple of MPH; enough to let me in. A head light flash showing that he is working with me would be good too. It would take a lot of stress off the merging driver.

It has been my experience that the guy in the travel lane most likely does not care whether the merging guy blows out onto the shoulder (if there is one) or not. (This is mostly cars BTW; truckers understand how hard it is to merge a tractor trailer sized vehicle and do plan ahead to help the poor SOB).

A merge is supposed to require common sense and cooperation from both vehicles. The travel lane driver is supposed to adjust his speed to allow the merge and the merging driver is supposed to adjust his speed to allow a smooth safe merge. For the merging driver to do that properly he needs to be at traffic flow speed.

It is flat out unsafe to stop on a merge ramp.
Just my "take" on your comment.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #53

Best deal I could find in the area got me 4 Goodyear G614 235/85/16 G for 1440.00. Picking them up in the morning, wish me luck.

Sling
Old 05-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #54

My KUMHO 857's 235/70/15's handled like a dream on the weekend...
I would have been sideways in the wind I drove through with the Bias Plys on the trailer.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:02 AM   #55

Ordered four Kumho 857's, the 195R14's, yesterday. I pick them up at the Hartford, CT warehouse on Friday, on my way through to Mystic, CT. With sales tax, they come to just under $125 each

No one makes a LT14, so with the 14" tires, there are VERY few choices to get away from the poorly rated China-made ST tires. The Kumho's (South Korean factory) have a D-rating, and carry 2094 pounds. They have an "R" speed rating, which means that, supposedly, they are good to 106mph. While I'll NEVER see that kind of speed, at least I'll able to maintain a safe flow of traffic (65mph+/-) without being at or over the tire speed rating, as I am with the factory Carlisle tires.

I got 4 years out of the Carlisles, and they still appear to be in fairly good shape. I attribute that at least partially to dilligence in chacking/maintaining proper air pressure (50psi).

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #56

As per my last messages on here, I went ahead and purchased a full set of 4 Goodyear G614 235/85/16 RST load range G and hand them mounted on the wheels. Everything is back together now, and we are fixin to depart for a series of small trips to server as "shake down cruises" before the big track back up to Buffalo this fall.

wish me luck
Old 05-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #57

I read with interest y'alls conversation regarding on ramp hazard. Just last weekend I met my demise with an on-ramper while pulling my new 5er. Never will understand how 60' of moving metal can be missed but he kissed my camper along the full length. Later in the trip I blew an E rated Goodyear at the sidewall. Upgrading to the Goodyear G rated RSTs this week. Just glad the rims are G rated. Still waiting estimate to repair the side. Glad it's on his nickel.
Sg6923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #58

One word...texting. I watched a nimrod in an truck jerk from side to side in his lane on the highway at 65mph today. I thought, I bet this genius is texting. Got close and sure as the sun shines, he had his phone in his hand not paying a lick of attention to the road. I doubt he would have seen a semi next to him let alone an average sedan. Guess it's a micro-percentage better than the smart ones that have the paper or a book open on the steering wheel (yes I see that plenty, too). I don't get people sometimes.

On topic: How is the ride affected from stock tires to the Khumos? I dont want my trailer to be any more bouncy than it already is, but i want the safety of the extra load range...
Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsgtivr6 View Post
One word...texting. I watched a nimrod in an truck jerk from side to side in his lane on the highway at 65mph today. I thought, I bet this genius is texting. Got close and sure as the sun shines, he had his phone in his hand not paying a lick of attention to the road.

On topic: How is the ride affected from stock tires to the Khumos? I dont want my trailer to be any more bouncy than it already is, but i want the safety of the extra load range...
Gotta love the woman in front of me putting on makeup looking hin the sun visor mirror this morning - then into her purse of overnight bag on the seat next to her for a differnet color. Compeltely stopped on the highway no one in front of her. Cars entering from the subdivisions to her left and to her right. Stopping on a highway and letting in drivers entering the highway is illegal in NB but so is inattentive driving.

On track to your question : The Kumhos seem to track better than the stock tires. 65 max lbs pressure and the dealer put in 60. Bias Ply goodbye! Rolling down the highway withthe new radioas should be a dream to haul

Tags
led pad