Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

Stabilizers - Slides IN or Slides OUT?

I have a Class C, and I have used HWH and Quadra Levelers. After going to Quadra, you won't go back to HWH!

Anyway, my owner's manual, both on HWH and Quadra (Bigfoot), say to put levelers down first before putting slides out.

However, I am now hearing rumors (heard at RV dealers) that you should put the slides out first, then levelers. For a non-engineer like me, that makes perfect sense. But I figure an engineer probably wrote the specs and that is why we put levelers down first before slides out.

So, which is it?

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #2

I asked that same question at our walk through, and was also told it would be better to put the slides out first

Forester 3011dsf
Rvrphdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:06 PM   #3

Wow, we're owned 3 class A diesel pushers and 2 travel trailers with slides and have always put the stabilizers down BEFORE opening the slides. This has always been what we were told both by the dealer and the owners manual.To me it makes sense to do so as you want the RV level, square, and stable BEFORE you start hanging big/heavy rooms beyond the travel configuration of the unit!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #4

Ditto what RSchleder said. Worse case scenario would be a full wall slide. If you slid out all that weight prior to jack being down, you'll get serious moment arm on that side of the RV. And the jacks on that side of the RV is doing most of the work raising up the rig to remain level. Whereas the opposite isn't doing much of any work. So short of calling Forest River, I would always put down the jacks first so your level to start out and then slide your slides. If for some reason you need to raise up one side or another, you can do so afterwards. Just my 2cents.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
I Break Everything

Slides second. Levelers First. Get it all level before moving things around.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:36 AM   #6

My Class A Winnebago calls for the Jacks down and level before moving the very large slide, my new travel trailer 26' Flagstaff the dealer told me I could do it either way. I have decided to get it level and stabilizers down before moving slides and do the reverse when braking camp.
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, stabilizers, slide out