Old 04-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #1

Steering Issues

I too am having a bit of a time with the steering. I purchased a 2003 Sunseeker that has 29,000 miles. My wife and I are very anal when it comes to our vehicles. That being said, we wanted to ensure everything was in tip top shape. We knew going in that we would have to put a little money into the motorhome after the purchase. The steering wheel was off center to the right when we purchased the MH, and it listed a bit to the right. We had the rear springs rebuilt ($600.00), had Monroe gas-matic shocks installed (did not want to wait until July for Bilstein) and an alignment done ($550.00). No issues were reported with linkage, tie rod ends, etc. The tires are in excellent shape (brand new in September 2014, Cooper Brand, with very little miles on them). I picked up the MH tonight after work and made the drive home. Now the steering wheel is cocked to the left. Iím not worried, as I know the folks that did the alignment will make it right. I will call them in the morning, as the shop was closed when I picked up the MH. By the way Ė the shocks felt wonderful. My question concerns the steering. It is a bit sloppy. It seems I have to constantly manipulate or move the steering wheel to keep it going straight. It is definitely not pulling to one side, itís more like wandering. Would something like the Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer help with the wandering and free-play in the steering wheel? Any thought or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance to all you experienced RVíers.

2014 Palomino 30RKSS-1S Travel Trailer
The Mustard Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #2

Looking for recommendations as to what brand of shocks and steering stabilizer to use on my 03 Forest River Sunseeker 2890 on the Ford E450 chassis. (38,000 miles) Any experiences with adding air bags to a like MH would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #3

Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpincentralva View Post
Looking for recommendations as to what brand of shocks and steering stabilizer to use on my 03 Forest River Sunseeker 2890 on the Ford E450 chassis. (38,000 miles) Any experiences with adding air bags to a like MH would be appreciated. Thanks
I had the same problem. I saw comments from the Forest River tech on this forum on using Forest river's numbers V.S. Ford's. The alignment fixed my problem.

J. V.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #4

Hi - Do you still have the 2890? Still have ours and so far, I've had good luck with it.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #5

Still have 2890

We still have the 2890. We replaced the shocks, steering stabilizer and had it aligned. It made all the difference in the world. We purchased this 2003 unit last February as it only had 29,900 miles on it and one owner. The couple used to take to Myrtle Beach every year, then drive it back home. We are currently looking into replacing the current flooring. Our unit has carpet and vinyl and we would like to replace it all with new vinyl, pull out the couch and dinette and replace with lazy boy recliners.

We hope you are enjoying you unit as well.

Happy Travels
2014 Palomino 30RKSS-1S Travel Trailer
The Mustard Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:52 AM   #6

Just a suggestion I Would have them recenter the steering as it may be the steering gear is not on the top of the key, this will cause the wandering you are feeling. Also depending on what steering box is on the chassis they can tighten the steering at the box.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:14 AM   #7

The alignment can be tweaked so it holds its course better. I don't want to hazard a guess as to which setting would work best for you, but since they didn't center the wheel right I'll hazard a guess that they didn't do the alignment right either. I would check the printout against factory specs, and it it's set right then more tweaks may be needed.

Per one site: " If the caster is out of adjustment, it can cause problems in straight line tracking. If the caster is different from side to side, the vehicle will pull to the side with the less positive caster. If the caster is equal but too negative, the steering will be light and the vehicle will wander and be difficult to keep in a straight line. If the caster is equal but too positive, the steering will be heavy and the steering wheel may kick when you hit a bump. Caster has little affect on tire wear."

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 03-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #8

On my 2890, I will be adding Helwig front and rear sway bars, then an alignment and steering box adjustment in the next week or so. I too am looking at replacing the dated vinyl flooring in the main living area, still researching flooring types and figuring out how I can get access to the floor under the couch slide.