Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 10:45 PM   #1

Steering wheel not centered

Those of us who have a Ford F53 with an off center steering wheel have been waiting for this..
Redlands truck and RV Redlands California has come up with a fix..the STRAIGHT AND LEVEL ADJUSTABLE DRAG LINK. The price is $495..I just read about it in June 2019 MOTORHOME magazine. And that is all I know about it. Now if someone will send me one I will be happy to test it and report!!!!#

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:29 AM   #2

They see you coming! Save your money and have a front end alignment done. That should center the wheel.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
They see you coming! Save your money and have a front end alignment done. That should center the wheel.
I wouldn't have it installed either but a front end alignment on the F53 motorhome chassis will not necessarily render the steering wheel centered. In fact, in most cases it probably won't if a 2011 and newer f53 chassis. The steering wheel is keyed splined and only goes on one way. There are no adjustable tie rods for steering. The only way I've read about is to remove the splined coupling from the steering box input shaft and reposition to align steering wheel.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I wouldn't have it installed either but a front end alignment on the F53 motorhome chassis will not necessarily render the steering wheel centered. In fact, in most cases it probably won't if a 2011 and newer f53 chassis. The steering wheel is keyed splined and only goes on one way. There are no adjustable tie rods for steering. The only way I've read about is to remove the splined coupling from the steering box input shaft and reposition to align steering wheel.
I tried the gearbox spline trick,didnt work. One spline was too much.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:11 AM   #5

There has to be some way to adjust toe in, that would center the wheel. I have done enough front end work over the years and never saw where you can't adjust toe in.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonz View Post
I tried the gearbox spline trick,didnt work. One
spline was too much.
Didn't say it would work; Just read about it.

Quote:
There has to be some way to adjust toe in, that would center the wheel. I have done enough front end work over the years and never saw where you can't adjust toe in.
Yes, toe in adjustable however doesn't seem to center steering wheel. The F53 chassis steering wheel centered issue has been going on for a very long time.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Many large trucks, especially if they have solid front axles, can only adjust "Total Toe" and centering the Steering wheel is/was done with an adjustable drag link.

Fords were often built without the traditional "blind spline" in the steering wheel and the standard method for alignment techs that didn't have the modern alignment equipment was to adjust toe, test drive, mark steering wheel at hub when driving straight, then remove steering wheel when marks were aligned. Steering wheel was then reinstalled straight without moving the steering shaft.

More than a few techs have been known to remove a few splines off the steering shaft or remove blind spline with die grinder so the blind spline in the hub will now be able to fit when wheel is straight. Not a totally approved method but more than enough splines remain to keep wheel from spinning once secured with mounting bolt(s).

Adjusting individual toe requires a separate toe adjustment for each wheel or the ability to re-position the Pitman Arm in relation to the Steering Wheel Position.

How do I know this? 15 years as a Factory Rep for the largest manufacturer of Wheel Alignment, Balancing, and Brake Equip in the US. Also ASE Certified in Steering/Suspension, and Brakes. I've also consulted to PACCAR which buillds Kenworth and Peterbuilt trucks as well as numerous special use chassis for military vehicles. (wheel alignment is real fun when you have two steer axles up front and two drive axles in back). Spent lots of time at their Technical Center that is just up the road from me about 30 miles.

BTW, one issue causing crooked steering wheels is what's called "Thrust Angle" in the rear axle(s). If the toe angle on each side of the rear axles is not equal when measured to the vehicle center line it will always result in a crooked steering wheel. Find a shop that uses wheel sensors on rear wheels along with the sensors on the front and chances are the problem can be dealt with. Lots of "Old School" truck alignment techs will rely on everything from strings, eyeballs, plumb bobs and chalk marks on the floor, etc to make sure rear axles are aligned but unless they can measure individual toe (in relation to the Center Line) at best they are just guessing. Sometimes lucky, more times not. One reason the Old School hangs on is that the truck alignment instruments are E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E. Not all shops can afford setups that can approach 6 figures or even at the least mid 5 figures.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #8

Most often the steering wheel has to be removed and repositioned to get centered. With air bags in them, it's best done by a dealer.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard58 View Post
Most often the steering wheel has to be removed and repositioned to get centered. With air bags in them, it's best done by a dealer.
Or learn how to disable them before doing this work. It's not really rocket science.

Since they need electricity to activate, disconnect battery, turn on headlights or step on brake to activate brake lights to drain as much residual power from the system as possible. Waiting an hour or two is another method to make sure power is totally drained. Then disconnect airbag control module from system by removing harness plug.

Google "Disable Airbags for XXXXX brand/model" and you'll find the procedure for specific vehicles.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #10

Not rocket science----TRUE BUT---most folks aren't mechanically inclined.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #11

Quote:
The F53 chassis' steering wheel has a fixed key to one position and one position only. There is no "just reposition the steering wheel".
Old 05-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #12

Well, so much for that idea.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #13

Well, like they say---- Google is your friend. I googled this problem and on the iRV2 forum, a gent had this issue after an alignment and said he removed the yolk off the top of the steer box and got it aligned that way.
Late Model F53 Steering Wheel Centering - iRV2 Forums
Old 05-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Well, like they say---- Google is your friend. I googled this problem and on the iRV2 forum, a gent had this issue after an alignment and said he removed the yolk off the top of the steer box and got it aligned that way.
Late Model F53 Steering Wheel Centering - iRV2 Forums
Yes, that's already been mentioned in this thread. One input said it didn't work for him.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Not rocket science----TRUE BUT---most folks aren't mechanically inclined.
For those people that's why professional shops were created.

Find a truck shop that uses the Hunter "WinAlign HD" system. It measures angles on ALL axles and shows the tech where the problem is. Like I said, it's not always in the front axle.

You can usually call the manufacturer and they can direct you to a shop near you as they have all locations in their database.

tel:+1(314)731-0000

If you are in the St Louis area you could possibly get your vehicle into their training facility and they used to do alignment work for free but you have to leave the vehicle for a day. The facility is located at the end of Lambert Field (St Louis International Airport).

Old 05-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
For those people that's why professional shops were created.

Find a truck shop that uses the Hunter "WinAlign HD" system. It measures angles on ALL axles and shows the tech where the problem is. Like I said, it's not always in the front axle.

You can usually call the manufacturer and they can direct you to a shop near you as they have all locations in their database.

tel:+1(314)731-0000

If you are in the St Louis area you could possibly get your vehicle into their training facility and they used to do alignment work for free but you have to leave the vehicle for a day. The facility is located at the end of Lambert Field (St Louis International Airport).
Know that place well , grew up about 10 miles from there . also close to where bigfoot was built
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #17

steering wheel centered

Alignment did mine 3010ds 2018
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #18

When I had my alignment done at Rush Truck Center in OKC, they said that the way mine was it could not be fixed. If they changed it, it would be off about the same in the other direction.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:28 PM   #19

I had mine fixed at Rush Truck Center here in Vegas for $50.00. It is not a warranty item per Ford as the motorhome stuff has been added. . If you have a newer model, mine's a 2019, there is a procedure in the ford F-53 stripped chassis service manual to correct this for the most part. The adjustment is at the bottom of the tie rod.

There are 36 teeth on the steering gear shaft, so each tooth adjust 10 degrees. Rush set the steering wheel so that it is a few degrees off to the right when stationary (It was turned to the left before). When driving, the offset is countered by the slope of the road. Worked out great for me.
TominVegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel