Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Attachment 60187

These are what I have.
All metal.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
ALMOST all metal, Ron. There is a rubber grommet on it, that is what makes the air-tight seal for your clamp-in type stem.

This is a good example of the easy confusion. We need to try and quit saying "metal". All stems have rubber and metal. Even what is called a rubber stem, has a brass internal tube/core covered in rubber..

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #12

HP Valve Stems

I have ordered a set of GY Marathons (225/75-15 in Load Range D), for a 2015 Rockwood 8329SS we will take delivery of in a month or so.

Also need to upgrade the valve stems to HP versions when the tires are swapped and it seems there are two types, full steel and steel lined rubber.
I had someone tell me the full steel models were prone to leaking due to the rubber gaskets not fully sealing on all types of wheels.

Which type is best and what size hole will the wheels on this unit have?
These wheels seems to be what Rockwood is currently shipping, can anyone provide links to HP valve stems that will fit those wheels?

Old 08-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
ALMOST all metal, Ron. There is a rubber grommet on it, that is what makes the air-tight seal.

This is a good example of the easy confusion. We need to try and quit saying "metal". All stems have rubber and metal. Even what is called a rubber stem, has a brass internal tube/core covered in rubber..
Correct the rubber seal/ grommet fits inside the hole from the back side .

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 08-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #14

Thanks WMTire. Good info. Our local tire dealer had explained that to me also. The problem we had was finding the clamp-in (nut and washers) to fit the rim properly. We tried two different brands and they wouldn't give me a tight/leak proof fitting due to the curvature on the rim. We tried several auto/truck/rv parts store nearby but no one had anything different. We believe a manufacture is out there though.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post

Also need to upgrade the valve stems to HP versions when the tires are swapped and it seems there are two types, full steel and steel lined rubber.
I had someone tell me the full steel models were prone to leaking due to the rubber gaskets not fully sealing on all types of wheels.

Which type is best and what size hole will the wheels on this unit have?
These wheels seems to be what Rockwood is currently shipping, can anyone provide links to HP valve stems that will fit those wheels?
See post #9 for the TR600HP "brass" stems.

They do make different types of clamp-in stems for different wheels, depending on how the valve stem hole is made in relation to the wheel lip.

The common TR416 clamp-in stem will work in many wheels, but not all. Most tire stores will carry the TR416 in stock.

I don't know the exact number of the valve stem I'm thinking of, but will find it for you.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #16
Site Team

Here's another version of clamp-in stem that works on the rims, who have outer lips that don't have enough clearance to get a nut/socket to turn. The nut on this type if offset a lot higher, which gives you more room to turn it.

Xtra Seal 17-428 - Bolt-In Valve | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Dave_Monica uses these on his, as me and him have discussed it.

There are also others, as Turbs has in his post #10....which I think is a TR416 though.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #17

Yes I do have the TR600 HP type on now. Unfortunately we couldn't find the screw type the day of change out of tires. My local tire dealer advised they have seen the rubber seals degrade on the clamp/screw types also, they showed me a couple they had recently replaced.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #18

We tried the TR416, couldn't get a good seal. Will check out the others you mentioned used. Thanks you guys have been helpful.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Thanks for the link, for a load range upgrade like mine would you recommend a snap-in TR600HP, a clamp-on TR416 if they fit or the 17-428 if the TR416's won't fit?

All of these are rated for 100psi, and if I later decide to install a TPMS is a clamp-on valve preferred?
Old 08-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
Thanks for the link, for a load range upgrade like mine would you recommend a snap-in TR600HP, a clamp-on TR416 if they fit or the 17-428 if the TR416's won't fit?

All of these are rated for 100psi, and if I later decide to install a TPMS is a clamp-on valve preferred?
Yes, the clamp-in type stems are preferred for the TPMS systems that screw onto the end of the valve stems.

Tags
tire, valve