Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #1

Suggest you check your tire valves stems

When checking air pressure, I noticed the value stem were severely crack. All 4.
The trailer is a 2013 Windjammer. Was surprised that a trailer this new had stems the tire dealer said he usually see on tires around 10 years old. A quick check could save you some headaches.
Attached Images

2013 Windjammer 3025
2018 Heartland trail Runner sle 265
2012 GMC 3500 6.6
2011 Razor 800
https://dougbevswanderings.blogspot.ca/
retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #2

I would hope that every time air pressure is checked on any tire, the valve stems are also checked.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Have 1 year old high pressure stems on mine that are going to be replaced with all metal ones before the 5er leaves the driveway. Had one start leaking yesterday only 23 miles from the GY dealer on the way home from Goshen. Failure was no doubt due to the tire monitors. While we were at the GY store, had the Trail Express LR C spare that had never been off the rack replaced with a new balanced GY Marathon LRD.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Have 1 year old high pressure stems on mine that are going to be replaced with all metal ones before the 5er leaves the driveway. Had one start leaking yesterday only 23 miles from the GY dealer on the way home from Goshen. Failure was no doubt due to the tire monitors. While we were at the GY store, had the Trail Express LR C spare that had never been off the rack replaced with a new balanced GY Marathon LRD.
I don't know if I have high pressure metal stems, but when I got my TST 507 monitors I had metal stems installed. Enroute to Goshen I had a tire loosing pressure and I too paid $1 for 15 lb of air. At Goshen I took the tire off, took it to one of the buildings that had a kitchen, filled the sink with water and put the tire in. It turned out to be a leaking stem. My stems have a 7/16" nut and I was able to tighten it. I have put on maybe 3000 miles before I experienced the leak.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #5
Site Team

Several years ago, we had a bunch of bad Chinese TR413 valve stems that did exactly as you described, and cracked out prematurely. It makes me wonder if this is some of those, or if we have it happening all over again.

I would advise to keep all receipts and to also report this (along with pics) to the NHTSA........ in case it is happening again.

On an aside, spraying certain wheel cleaners and/or Armor-All on the stems will also produce the same effect.

Dill Finally Launches Tire Valve Stem Recall | Safety Research & Strategies, Inc.

Defect Investigations Results | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Recall of faulty tire valve stems expanded

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #6

When I bought my new TH I requested the dealer install metal stems for my TPMS. They put metal stems in but the stems they used had rubber bases. The weight of the sending units and the centrifical force at speed caused them to leak air. Once I discovered this I had the stems replaced with the type that have nut that can be tightened. There are two types of these stems. Some have nuts inside and outside the rim. That is what I had on my previous camper. The ones they replaced on my new camper only have a nut on the inside. So what could go wrong? Well on one of my tires, the man that installed the stems forgot to tighten the nut. So, off with the wheel and back to the tire. Finally got it right and 2000 miles later no problems. Getting ready for a 1500 mile trip and hoping all goes well.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
When I bought my new TH I requested the dealer install metal stems for my TPMS. They put metal stems in but the stems they used had rubber bases. The weight of the sending units and the centrifical force at speed caused them to leak air. Once I discovered this I had the stems replaced with the type that have nut that can be tightened. There are two types of these stems. Some have nuts inside and outside the rim. That is what I had on my previous camper. The ones they replaced on my new camper only have a nut on the inside. So what could go wrong? Well on one of my tires, the man that installed the stems forgot to tighten the nut. So, off with the wheel and back to the tire. Finally got it right and 2000 miles later no problems. Getting ready for a 1500 mile trip and hoping all goes well.
X2 when using the tire monitoring systems it is highly recommended that metal valve stems are used. As you found out there are two types of metal stems. The bolt on ones are the ones to get.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #8

High pressure stems and new tires

I just replaced my Trail Express tires with Maxxis M8008 D rated and new high pressure valve stems. We tried install the metal stems but wouldn't fit on the rims properly. They tried 2 different sizes and brands. Old stems were deteriorating and cracking, old tires (3800-4000 miles) were cracking at sidewalls. Old tires had not been balanced. Was able to get road hazard on new tires and tires made in 2014.
Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
As you found out there are two types of metal stems. The bolt on ones are the ones to get.
Technically (but I won't promise you that everyone in the tire biz is trained well), the two types of valve stems you will encounter are either called clamp-in type or snap-in type in the tire industry.

The bolt/screw type are called clamp-in.

The type pictured in the OP (along with the confused TR600 HP stem pictured below) are snap-in.

A lot of people (even in the tire business for some reason) confusingly call this TR600 stem a metal stem. The cosmetic difference between this stem and what you are used to calling a rubber stem, is more of the internal brass part of the stem is exposed. This is helpful so this stem can easily be identified at first glance from a TR413 valve stem (pictured in the OP). The TR600 is made for high pressure (80-100 psi max depending on brand) applications vs a TR413 which is made for 60-65 psi max applications. Both the TR600 and TR413 are snap-in type stems. They are both 'rubber stems' per se.

A TR413 just has the entire brass part of the stem (except for the threaded tip where the valve cap screws on) covered in outer rubber as opposed to the TR600HP.

Using the correct terminology: clamp-in vs snap-in : should get you the correct stem (if you are dealing with knowledgeable tire industry professionals). It's when people start saying "metal" stems, wherein the confusion begins. It would be better to even say a bolt-in stem instead of "metal stem".

If you leave the term "metal stem" out, then you will probably make it easier to avoid the confusion and get the stem you want.

Have I bored ya silly?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1407764381762.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	60187

These are what I have.
All metal.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Attachment 60187

These are what I have.
All metal.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
ALMOST all metal, Ron. There is a rubber grommet on it, that is what makes the air-tight seal for your clamp-in type stem.

This is a good example of the easy confusion. We need to try and quit saying "metal". All stems have rubber and metal. Even what is called a rubber stem, has a brass internal tube/core covered in rubber..

Old 08-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #12

HP Valve Stems

I have ordered a set of GY Marathons (225/75-15 in Load Range D), for a 2015 Rockwood 8329SS we will take delivery of in a month or so.

Also need to upgrade the valve stems to HP versions when the tires are swapped and it seems there are two types, full steel and steel lined rubber.
I had someone tell me the full steel models were prone to leaking due to the rubber gaskets not fully sealing on all types of wheels.

Which type is best and what size hole will the wheels on this unit have?
These wheels seems to be what Rockwood is currently shipping, can anyone provide links to HP valve stems that will fit those wheels?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
ALMOST all metal, Ron. There is a rubber grommet on it, that is what makes the air-tight seal.

This is a good example of the easy confusion. We need to try and quit saying "metal". All stems have rubber and metal. Even what is called a rubber stem, has a brass internal tube/core covered in rubber..
Correct the rubber seal/ grommet fits inside the hole from the back side .

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #14

Thanks WMTire. Good info. Our local tire dealer had explained that to me also. The problem we had was finding the clamp-in (nut and washers) to fit the rim properly. We tried two different brands and they wouldn't give me a tight/leak proof fitting due to the curvature on the rim. We tried several auto/truck/rv parts store nearby but no one had anything different. We believe a manufacture is out there though.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post

Also need to upgrade the valve stems to HP versions when the tires are swapped and it seems there are two types, full steel and steel lined rubber.
I had someone tell me the full steel models were prone to leaking due to the rubber gaskets not fully sealing on all types of wheels.

Which type is best and what size hole will the wheels on this unit have?
These wheels seems to be what Rockwood is currently shipping, can anyone provide links to HP valve stems that will fit those wheels?
See post #9 for the TR600HP "brass" stems.

They do make different types of clamp-in stems for different wheels, depending on how the valve stem hole is made in relation to the wheel lip.

The common TR416 clamp-in stem will work in many wheels, but not all. Most tire stores will carry the TR416 in stock.

I don't know the exact number of the valve stem I'm thinking of, but will find it for you.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #16
Site Team

Here's another version of clamp-in stem that works on the rims, who have outer lips that don't have enough clearance to get a nut/socket to turn. The nut on this type if offset a lot higher, which gives you more room to turn it.

Xtra Seal 17-428 - Bolt-In Valve | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Dave_Monica uses these on his, as me and him have discussed it.

There are also others, as Turbs has in his post #10....which I think is a TR416 though.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #17

Yes I do have the TR600 HP type on now. Unfortunately we couldn't find the screw type the day of change out of tires. My local tire dealer advised they have seen the rubber seals degrade on the clamp/screw types also, they showed me a couple they had recently replaced.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #18

We tried the TR416, couldn't get a good seal. Will check out the others you mentioned used. Thanks you guys have been helpful.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Thanks for the link, for a load range upgrade like mine would you recommend a snap-in TR600HP, a clamp-on TR416 if they fit or the 17-428 if the TR416's won't fit?

All of these are rated for 100psi, and if I later decide to install a TPMS is a clamp-on valve preferred?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
Thanks for the link, for a load range upgrade like mine would you recommend a snap-in TR600HP, a clamp-on TR416 if they fit or the 17-428 if the TR416's won't fit?

All of these are rated for 100psi, and if I later decide to install a TPMS is a clamp-on valve preferred?
Yes, the clamp-in type stems are preferred for the TPMS systems that screw onto the end of the valve stems.

Tags
tire, valve