Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 09:44 AM   #1

Tandem Axle Replacing Brakes Question

I have a 2016 Surveyor 32BHDS. I repacked the wheel bearings this week and noticed one of the brake shoes on one axel is really worn alot. It needs replaces. They are 10" x 2.25 shoes. I searched for replacements and you can buy just the shoes but it seems sometimes the entire assembly with the back plate is cheaper. Just wondering what other people do here. Do you replace the shoes or the entire thing. I am also curious what people find is a good replacement. There are many options through etrailer.com.

Only one side of one axle was bad but I will replace both sides of that same axle. Should I also replace both sides of the other axle and have all new brakes or can you only do one axle at at time. Is that ok?
Falcon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #2

Buy the complete assembly and replace them all.
With one worn more than the others is a sign that they were not adjusted properly or you have an electrical issue in the brakes.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #3

I just replaced all four. Entire assembly is cheaper, easier, and better in my opinion.

I have always replaced all four brake assemblies at the same time, but mine wear fairly evenly as I adjust them every time I repack the wheel bearings.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #4

without question buy the assembly. If I remember, that was with the magnet?
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I just replaced all four. Entire assembly is cheaper, easier, and better in my opinion.

I have always replaced all four brake assemblies at the same time, but mine wear fairly evenly as I adjust them every time I repack the wheel bearings.
Mine are the self-adjusting brakes so I don't think they were out of adjustment. The magnet one one side could be bad though.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon72 View Post
Mine are the self-adjusting brakes so I don't think they were out of adjustment. The magnet one one side could be bad though.
Good One! Youroo!!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQGUY View Post
Buy the complete assembly and replace them all.
With one worn more than the others is a sign that they were not adjusted properly or you have an electrical issue in the brakes.
Anyone have recommendations on where to buy the assemblies or is etrailer as good and any place else?

This is what I am looking at...

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...3-468-469.html
Old 05-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Anyone have recommendations on where to buy the assemblies or is etrailer as good and any place else?

Not to open up a can of worms for you... how is the magnet's engagement surface on the hub? When I had mine off last spring there was some degree of scoring. Do people recondition/cut the hubs like you used to do with automotive brake drums and rotors or just buy new hub assy?
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
Not to open up a can of worms for you... how is the magnet's engagement surface on the hub? When I had mine off last spring there was some degree of scoring. Do people recondition/cut the hubs like you used to do with automotive brake drums and rotors or just buy new hub assy?
I have one hub that when I replace the brakes I need to replace. I was thinking of calling a few shops to see if anyone still turns them but I won't spend too long on it. A 10" new one is $61 on etrailer.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #10
Just A Member

I don't know where you are located and I tried to figure that out but apparently you don't provide that information to the forum. If you have a Southwest Wheel location near you, they are good folks to deal with. They have the stuff in stock and the price is right. As others have said, replace all four, if your drums are a mess, replace them, also. Good luck. You will be very happy with your brakes when you get done.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeeling View Post
I don't know where you are located and I tried to figure that out but apparently you don't provide that information to the forum. If you have a Southwest Wheel location near you, they are good folks to deal with. They have the stuff in stock and the price is right. As others have said, replace all four, if your drums are a mess, replace them, also. Good luck. You will be very happy with your brakes when you get done.
Thank you. Not for sure why my location does not show as I did enter it my details. I am Northeast Ohio.

I am going to replace all 4 and the drums that need it. Only the one drum is bad. i just inspected them all during the wheel bear repack.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #12
Just A Member

I believe that etrailer is going to be hard to beat. Southwest Wheel is based in Dallas and has some other locations in Texas. For what it is worth, here is the link.
https://www.southwestwheel.com/c-128...ssemblies.aspx
Etrailer has them beat on price. Four bolts, two wires, some adjustment, and you are good to go.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #13

Quote:

I have self adjusting brakes that adjust going forward braking. They seem to adjust a little tight and drag, I every few trips, I back the brakes off.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #14

On my previous TT most of the time when I applied brakes the left front TT tire would lock up and slide. I had it into a local reputable auto/truck brake/front end alignment shop twice to adjust the brakes on the TT. Each time the owner, who I know, would actually pull the TT to check out the brakes and each time he stated that none of the wheel would lock up and slide. That is until I went camping again. After the second adjustment he rode with me while I pulled the TT and gave it some sudden stops to check everything out. Yep, the second time I applied brakes the left front wheel locked up and slid. This is not a good thing for tire wear. He then drove my truck and sure enough the brake locked up. We went back to the shop where he jacked the axle up, tried to rotate the tire and could hardly do so. He adjusted that wheel one more time. He then hooked the TT to his truck and away we went. The first sudden stop the tire squealing was pretty evident with the windows in the TV up. He went back to the shop, asked me to wait just a minute then returned with a fill refund for both trips to his shop. We never did figure out why that brake drum kept grabbing after an adjustment. I have a cargo trailer with dual axles and have never had a problem with the electric brakes. My newer TT has not had any problems with the electric brakes either.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:04 PM   #15

You can buy the complete brake assembly plus drums at Northern Tool or just about any cargo trailer dealer. I just paid $600 for brake assembly hubs and bearings installed by a local cargo dealer.. I didn’t want to do it myself and the only RV dealerships within 100 miles is Camper World. If you do the brakes yourself you can cut the costs by about half. I had all heavy duty drums and bearings installed. My brakes are 12 inch so my cost is a little higher for the parts but this gives you a ballpark start point.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #16

Working on replacing them all... complete assemblies. Two down and two to go.

In think the old one was bad. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180529_192552.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	173958Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180529_195525.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	173959
Old 06-13-2018, 05:05 AM   #17

Quote:

try redneck trailer supply. I bought the complete dexter never adjust brake assemblies for my Forest River Work & Play - 37ft long - $58.00 each
topbird54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by topbird54 View Post
try redneck trailer supply. I bought the complete dexter never adjust brake assemblies for my Forest River Work & Play - 37ft long - $58.00 each
I of course find etrailer as easy as anything. I called around my local area and no one had self adjusting assemblies in stock. They had manual assemblies. I know there are a lot opinions on self adjusting vs manual with alot of people really against the self adjusting ones. I went ahead and put the self adjusting on anyway.

Tags
axle, brakes