Old 11-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx5chris View Post
okay anyone have an odometer on their trailer? Use time as a guide.
I don't know about the Chevs and Dodge trucks but the new fords have a built in mileage counter for multiple trailer hauling.

I think that mine with the delivery included made about 3,000 miles last year.

its now parked in my driveway with tire covers on them... but I wonder do I need to be up on a 2 by 8 off the compacted dirt/crushed rock to protect the tread a bit better?

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
Dallas Texas

I thought I knew tires but I admit I don't know much about TT tires - but I'll learn. I've been reading various posts about the air pressue to run TT tires and it sounds like they are tun at max, or near max, psi. Is that correct?

I'm looking at Goodyear LT or ST tires. The Goodyear G614 indicates max psi at 110. One doesn't acctualy run them that high, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01672.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	9677  

Old 12-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
" The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles."

WTF???

These guys are just trying to sell tires!
My guess is that they were trying to translate "time" into "miles"; if you know what I mean. I've got a good 25,000 on my Marathons.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #14

I have A 2004 Sandpiper Sport in 2006 I put four new carlisle 235/85/16 load range F weight caple 3960lbs per tire in Nov 2011 took a trip to Southern Cal about 500 miles blew out two tires one on way down and one on the way home since 2006 I have blowen seven tire all Carlisle have since turned a complaint into Carlisle 2003 f350 7.3 four honda 250 quads six cats one dog
Old 02-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #15

I am going to mention this because I didn't see it in any of these post, I may have over looked it: "Date Codes" The Tires on my new 2006 Rock Wood were two years old, they were dated with the last two numbers "04" Tires have shelf life, I will not buy tires unless the date code is the same as year I bought them.. Example: the number "2612" as a data code means the "26th" week of the year "2012 or year "12" You can find this info on the side wall of the tire on the back of the tire.

I have posted this info a few years ago and it is back in one of my threads.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #16

alignment

thanks for the primer on tires. Very good. I have a question on alignment. Put all new tires on my rig (5th wheel Wildcat, 29', 2004) last spring when I bought it. 3rd hand. After travel to Cape Breton, Quebec and back to SC, found abnormal wear on the passenger side front tire. Now in Key Largo and it's getting severe. the other three tires on the ground look new with even tire wear. Took two straight edges to both sets of tires and found the errant tire about 3/8" "out". What might be a solution for that problem
? or cause?
Is it not odd for just one to be wearing, and so out of alignment?
I've read the thread about bushing wear? Have not been where I can jack the frame off the ground, if that is what it takes to determine shackle/bushing wear? don't really know the procedure.
The previous owner had hauled it to Fl a few of times so it probably has at least 10 - 20,000 miles on it with what I've put on it this year.
thanks for any input.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ View Post
I thought I knew tires but I admit I don't know much about TT tires - but I'll learn. I've been reading various posts about the air pressue to run TT tires and it sounds like they are tun at max, or near max, psi. Is that correct?

I'm looking at Goodyear LT or ST tires. The Goodyear G614 indicates max psi at 110. One doesn't acctualy run them that high, right?
Below is a link to a pdf file with an inflation table on page L7.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ View Post

Below is a link to a pdf file with an inflation table on page L7.

http://www.goodyear.com/truck/pdf/edb_loads.pdf

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #19

Tire brands

I have been shopping for 4 new tires to replace the original tires on my 19 foot 2000 Wildwood Lite TT. The original tires are Carlisle 205 75/D14, load range C. I have learned that all trailer tires are now made overseas which is very disappointing. I'm wondering if upgrading to load range D is a good idea. The brands I'm considering are Carlisle, Goodyear and Greenball. Please share your advise.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

I have learned a lot more about tires since 2011.

ST vs. LT Tire problems

I will never put anything but ST tires on my camper.
Others here have different opinions and I respect them.

My OEM tires were Carlisle C range tires. They were maxed out at their max PSI. I replaced them after a high speed blowout (probably my fault due to a curb strike the month before) with Goodyear Marathon D range tires.

I got them for the extra strength and run them 5 PSI higher than the C rated ones (55 PSI). This is "harder" than the 50 PSI called for by my actual load but less than the 65 PSI on the sidewall.

The 55 PSI gives me the strength; ride quality; and load bearing I need for the actual weight of my camper. Running them at 65 PSI would make them too hard and my trailer would bounce all over the road causing tire cupping, center tread wear, and unnecessary frame stress.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Goodyear_Tire_Inflation___Load_Charts.pdf (274.9 KB, 186 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad