Old 12-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #201

Useless story because I don't have all/any info. Years ago.. I was calling on a service station where a customer was...the customer had a large van 3/4 or 1 ton I assume. He had split several steel wheels on a long trip...grossly overloaded and he new it of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Days camped 2016 8 2017 1
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #202
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
I’m going to present this from what I consider a typical manufacturer does when building a model trailer to a specific marketing tool. In this case the market target is for one half ton trucks.

The plans are drawn-up for 17 travel trailers and 6 fifth wheel trailers with the same brand name, all targeted for the ton truck. The travel trailers start with a GVWR of 6400# and work their way up to 9000#. Every one of them are fitted with ST225/75R15D tires. The fifth wheels start with a GVWR of 9662# and work up to 10370# all with ST225/75R15D tires.

That production line can order all wheel/tire assemblies the same size for every unit. Setting GVWR, GAWR and selecting appropriate tire and rim sizes with recommended inflation pressures suitable for each fitment is part of vehicle certification. The minimum values and measurements are a product of NHTSA standards and regulations.

Consumers unhappy with minimum product values and specifications often point their finger in the wrong direction. When the value and measurements of things certified to be appropriate produce unacceptable results the standards which produced the results must first be scrutinized.
Sorry Air, I don't understand your point. The regulations establish minimum performance requirements and does not specify the type or size of tire to be used.

In reality RV company don't do much "manufacturing" as IMO it looks more like just assembling some parts they buy off the shelf.

Lets look at real vehicle manufacturing. A car manufacturer has similar regulations that they must follow ie GVWR & GAWR and tire selection. The difference is that Ford or Chevy or Kia don't specify a single tire for 17 different vehicles or even 4 different vehicles even if it might be possible to
comply with the regulations. These manufacturers select and specify specific model tires with unique characteristics and do not buy based on getting the lowest cost round and black thing that will meet the bare minimum requirements. Real vehicle manufacturers do evaluations and testing of their products. They even consider such things as serviceability unlike RV companies such as FR. They do not install for example water pumps in any random location such that the pump must be relocated by the owner, at the owner's expense if the owner wants to be able to properly winterize the water system.

With your example of 17 different vehicles, I cannot possibly see how one tire can provide reasonable and consistent margin of safety for load capacity for all vehicles.

Have to wonder why the Air Force, Navy etc can't all use just one model fighter jet or a single model transport. Bet that might save tax payer many hundreds millions and make life in service bay easier.

If in fact FR is using identical tires on the variety of RVs you identify, I would consider that proof that there is no real design engineering taking place just low cost part selecting by purchasing dept.

I am also surprised to learn that 1/2 tom P/Us are rated to tow 10,370 TT with 2,074 load in the truck bed.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:14 PM   #203

Sorry Air, I don't understand your point. The regulations establish minimum performance requirements and does not specify the type or size of tire to be used.

The certification label does.

In reality RV company don't do much "manufacturing" as IMO it looks more like just assembling some parts they buy off the shelf.

I didn't use that word, you did.

Lets look at real vehicle manufacturing. A car manufacturer has similar regulations that they must follow ie GVWR & GAWR and tire selection. The difference is that Ford or Chevy or Kia don't specify a single tire for 17 different vehicles or even 4 different vehicles even if it might be possible to comply with the regulations. These manufacturers select and specify specific model tires with unique characteristics and do not buy based on getting the lowest cost round and black thing that will meet the bare minimum requirements. Real vehicle manufacturers do evaluations and testing of their products. They even consider such things as serviceability unlike RV companies such as FR. They do not install for example water pumps in any random location such that the pump must be relocated by the owner, at the owner's expense if the owner wants to be able to properly winterize the water system.

I said all of that in an earlier post.

With your example of 17 different vehicles, I cannot possibly see how one tire can provide reasonable and consistent margin of safety for load capacity for all vehicles.

Because they still meet the minimum standards.

Have to wonder why the Air Force, Navy etc can't all use just one model fighter jet or a single model transport. Bet that might save tax payer many hundreds millions and make life in service bay easier.

If in fact FR is using identical tires on the variety of RVs you identify, I would consider that proof that there is no real design engineering taking place just low cost part selecting by purchasing dept.

I did not use that word.

I am also surprised to learn that 1/2 ton P/Us are rated to tow 10,370 TT with 2,074 load in the truck bed.

They marketed the trailers in that direction. It's up to each truck to qualify.
Airdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:24 AM   #204
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
...Have to wonder why the Air Force, Navy etc can't all use just one model fighter jet or a single model transport. Bet that might save tax payer many hundreds millions...
Ever hear of the Lockheed Martin F 35 introduced and sold to all branches of the military several years ago??????
Old 12-26-2015, 07:44 AM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Slight clarification on the ST - LT tire change topic.
As a tire engineer, I see no reason for an owner to not be allowed to change type tire i.e. P to ST or LT or change ST to LT as long as the new tire at its inflation has equal or greater load capacity to the OE tire at its inflation and the max inflation capability as identified by the wheel manufacturer is not exceeded.
Just askin' so why won't tire dealer's install LTs on trailers. They will not in this area anyway.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Ever hear of the Lockheed Martin F 35 introduced and sold to all branches of the military several years ago??????

All of us Airdales know about this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockhe...5_Lightning_II
Old 12-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Just askin' so why won't tire dealer's install LTs on trailers. They will not in this area anyway.
Please don’t take this as a harsh answer. It’s just based on facts that people don’t like to accept.

For a long time know I’ve been doing the safety side of tires. I’ve been branded all kinds of bad and have even been banned from tire threads - sometimes - because of my harsh postings.

Tire dealers cannot over ride, trump, or any other way, do less than the vehicle manufacturer. Because? The vehicle manufacturer, in the eyes of the governing body (DOT) has sole authority for Original Equipment tire and rim fitments. They are required to put their (MINIMUM) selections along with recommended tire inflation pressures for them on the federal certification label and display it on your trailer.

Tire industry standards (aftermarket) consist of a set of standards from tire manufacturers, the Tire & Rim Association (TRA) and Rubber Manufacturers Association) RMA. They are very consistent and found in any tire manufacturer’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) manuals and PDF files found on the internet.

For a tire dealer or any other tire shop to change your trailer tires from one design to another is considered a misapplication. In fact, any change not recommended by your trailer manufacturer in the Owner’s Manual for your particular trailer is a misapplication. RV trailer tires do not have the same industry standards as the automotive industry with their pre-selected replacement lists and approved “plus sizing” procedures.

Why a trailer manufacturer selects and installs the tires on your trailer is immaterial. It was their decision to make within the guidelines provided by the governing body (DOT). None of the designs such as Passenger (P), Light Truck (LT), Special Trailer (ST), Hybrid - ties with a LT prefix marked “for trailer service only” or any of the wide range of medium to heavy duty truck/trailer tires are exempt. But, no matter what their design they are all installed in accordance with FMVSS guidelines. Not to be confused with guidelines for the trucking industry.

The bottom line. Once your drive off with your new or used trailer, it’s yours to do with as you see fit. I encourage you to be safe with everything including your tire selections. Below is a version of minimum industry standards. It’s from Michelin - hard to find them admitting they don’t control everything.

(Click on the tab "changing sizes or specs").

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/how-to-choose-tires.html#tab-4
Old 12-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #208

I understand exactly what you are saying but people act like you are crazy when they say use LT tires on the camper when their tire shop says ok....... but the tire shops you deal with say no can't / won't do it............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #209
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I understand exactly what you are saying but people act like you are crazy when they say use LT tires on the camper when their tire shop says ok....... but the tire shops you deal with say no can't / won't do it............

Time to find a different tire shop then, or take loose wheels in and have them put whatever tire you want on it. If they ask what its for just tell them "its going on whatever i decide to throw it on".

I hate how some places will only throw tires on the rear of a vehicle if you buy a pair (discount tire). But if you take in loose wheels they have no liability on the tire placement.
I have 8 spare 8 lug wheels currently down in my shed. Some have lt and some have st tires. Some are load range E and some G. Ill throw one of my truck spares on a trailer in a pinch if i need to. (Or vise versa if an absolute must to get down the road) Heck i currently have a set of 4 gm aluminum wheels on my tripple axle goose neck with truck lt tires on them. I sold the truck so im using the tires and wheels since they have about 1500 miles on them.

Id never take the advice of an $8 an hour tire jockey as an absolute, they likely have no idea why they can or cant do something. And they are trying to follow the letter of the rule or law instead of looking at the intent.
We are all trying to be safe and have fun. If you are doing your due diligence and have a tire selected that meets the appropriate load ratings for your trailer there should never be an issue and most likely less issue with an lt over the st bombs we are all familiar with!
Old 12-27-2015, 07:51 AM   #210

All of the name tire stores here will not put LT tires on trailers and I usually deal with David he owns three tire stores and is an independent and beats everyone's prices usually by over $100 a set. Yes they ask when you bring in a rim and I can't lie to them as they do ask esp when the have STs on them to begin with.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO

Tags
led pad