Old 12-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #211
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
All of the name tire stores here will not put LT tires on trailers and I usually deal with David he owns three tire stores and is an independent and beats everyone's prices usually by over $100 a set. Yes they ask when you bring in a rim and I can't lie to them as they do ask esp when the have STs on them to begin with.

That sux.
But if theres a will, there's a way! And i have a strong will!!!

If your happy with your tire performance than thats all that matters, cause I'm not pulling your traillers around, you are !!
Good luck!

Old 12-27-2015, 02:57 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
That sux.
But if theres a will, there's a way! And i have a strong will!!!

If your happy with your tire performance than thats all that matters, cause I'm not pulling your traillers around, you are !!
Good luck!

Never had any issues with ST tires in all reality. Never a flat never a blow out but In my line of work I can not risk my career on a lie...... so if my dealer & I have been buying tires from him for 20 plus years and as many as 20-24s tire in a year If he says he won't put LT tires on a trailer then well that will work......... I drag 5 trailers all over the place on the east coast ........

My question that no one can seem to answer is how long have ST tires been out there my first two campers both 24' duel axle came with P rated tires from the factory......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:39 PM   #213
Oklahoma Proud

You are mighty lucky!

Couldn't tell you on the st's. We use to get bias plys on trailers like a 16-7.5 or something like that but i haven't bought any like that in about 10 years.
I have blown out, thrown tread, had flats, tread separation, side wall bubbles, broke valve stems, etc. dozens if not hundreds of times. But nothing more than flats on vehicle tires.
I'm tire poor right now with only 20 trailer tires on the ground and 11 spares for them. And 20 vehicle tires on the ground and their spares. I really dont worry about blowouts on most of my trailers because they either have a deck over them or good fenders to protect the boat or other stuff im hauling so i dont mind throwing st "china bombs" on them. (It does suck changing a tire on the side of the interstate with a trailer waying 20k or so and cars zipping by at 70-80 mph).
Now my camper....that thing will get destroyed with a blowout. So if i hit the road with it its getting Lt's or the goodyear g614.

But thats me. And i only like having tires 2.5 years or less from dot date on trailers and 3.5 years from dot date on vehicles. And if i order a tire and it comes in over 6 months old by the dot date.....im sending it back.
But here in Oklahoma we have -0 temps up to 100+ and we have alot of rual gravel roads, both of which are hard on tires.
I wish i had your luck with tires!
Old 12-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Just askin' so why won't tire dealer's install LTs on trailers. They will not in this area anyway.
Oaklevel, I have stated this before tire dealers in my area Virginia will not install anything but ST on a trailer. Also when I was forced to buy new tires in Lumberton NC. from a blow out Black tires the biggest in NC point blank said they would not install anything but ST on my trailer. They are one of the largest GY dealers in NC....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:12 AM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Oaklevel, I have stated this before tire dealers in my area Virginia will not install anything but ST on a trailer. Also when I was forced to buy new tires in Lumberton NC. from a blow out Black tires the biggest in NC point blank said they would not install anything but ST on my trailer. They are one of the largest GY dealers in NC....
They won't put anything but STs on trailers over here in Bassett either. Cunningham tire which has 3 stores & the best prices is who I deal the most with. No big chains in this area any more... Just mainly independents.......... and many of them are gone too...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-28-2015, 05:23 AM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
You are mighty lucky!

Couldn't tell you on the st's. We use to get bias plys on trailers like a 16-7.5 or something like that but i haven't bought any like that in about 10 years.
I have blown out, thrown tread, had flats, tread separation, side wall bubbles, broke valve stems, etc. dozens if not hundreds of times. But nothing more than flats on vehicle tires.
I'm tire poor right now with only 20 trailer tires on the ground and 11 spares for them. And 20 vehicle tires on the ground and their spares. I really dont worry about blowouts on most of my trailers because they either have a deck over them or good fenders to protect the boat or other stuff im hauling so i dont mind throwing st "china bombs" on them. (It does suck changing a tire on the side of the interstate with a trailer waying 20k or so and cars zipping by at 70-80 mph).
Now my camper....that thing will get destroyed with a blowout. So if i hit the road with it its getting Lt's or the goodyear g614.

But thats me. And i only like having tires 2.5 years or less from dot date on trailers and 3.5 years from dot date on vehicles. And if i order a tire and it comes in over 6 months old by the dot date.....im sending it back.
But here in Oklahoma we have -0 temps up to 100+ and we have alot of rual gravel roads, both of which are hard on tires.
I wish i had your luck with tires!
I know what you mean but I have been fortunate but don't pull the trailers daily or sometimes even weekly. Counting the camper I have 16 trailer tires on the ground and down to 26 vehicle tires on the ground. (12 are on antique vehicles). Too many for not making any money with them

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post

Let's see now, I have a Cedar Creek that came from the factory with LT tires on camper and Blacks will only put ST tires on my camper, then they are crazy. Anyway I live close to a Blacks tire store and my dealer beats there price. I have Goodyear G614 on my Creek and when they wear out a new set just like them will go back on camper. It's funny to me I was at Carolina RV today in Myrtle Beach today and I saw two Cedar Creek 36CKTS, a 15 and a 16 and the 15 had the LT G614 Goodyears and the 16 had the cheap Westlake tires on. I think for what one Goodyear would costs you could probably buy four West Lake tires. I talked to a man at Ocean Lakes campground that has a Cedar Creek 36CKTS and he told me on his first trip out west on camper three of the China tires blew out and he replaced all four with new Goodyears

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Let's see now, I have a Cedar Creek that came from the factory with LT tires on camper and Blacks will only put ST tires on my camper, then they are crazy. Anyway I live close to a Blacks tire store and my dealer beats there price. I have Goodyear G614 on my Creek and when they wear out a new set just like them will go back on camper. It's funny to me I was at Carolina RV today in Myrtle Beach today and I saw two Cedar Creek 36CKTS, a 15 and a 16 and the 15 had the LT G614 Goodyears and the 16 had the cheap Westlake tires on. I think for what one Goodyear would costs you could probably buy four West Lake tires. I talked to a man at Ocean Lakes campground that has a Cedar Creek 36CKTS and he told me on his first trip out west on camper three of the China tires blew out and he replaced all four with new Goodyears

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Never said that, my trailer came with ST, I have no idea if Blacks would refuse you being your trailer was certified with LT's. Mine was certified with ST's.The great Trail Express Brand...: I'm only talking about mine not anyone else's. Can't see why they wouldn't replace them with the same if yours came with LT's and it on your sticker.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #219

LT G614 Goodyears are interesting Goodyears web site says they are trailer tires to confuse the issue even more They are not LTs in the since that they are not designed as light truck tires and are ok by the manufacturer for trailer use.
see Goodyear RV Tires €“ Tire Selector. The tire dealer should not have liability installing them when the came on the trailer and are designed by the manufacturer for trailer use. Unlike other LT tires....

As far as Westlakes they are not cheap china bombs I have had good service from two sets one that is currently on the trailer and one set that out lived a car.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 04-22-2016, 09:32 PM   #220

I have to admit I did not read all the posts. Based on my observations in the field and from what many have said this what should be considered:

. RV manufactures in general mount the the least expensive lowest load range tire they can and still meet government standards.
. ST tires may or may not be better than LT given the same load range. BTW I have seen many Michelin and Goodyear LT on large fifth wheels.
. Some dealers will refuse to mount LT tires on a fifth wheel (or any trailer) but some will, obviously.

A previous trailer, used, had tires way beyond their life so I purchased ST one load range up. In less than a thousand miles two blew and shredded. I do not remember the brand but they were Chinese.

Not sure if I am making any sense but our new trailer has ST225/75R15/C and if I read them right the tire load is 2,000 meaning, what, four tires carry a 8,000 load. The GVWR on the rig is 9,100 so am I under rated to start?

Could be the tire is good for 2,125 perhaps . That is still only 8,500 and unless I am way off base I should be getting new tires a load range up.

Cheer, GT

greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad