Old 04-22-2016, 10:38 PM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytraveler View Post
Not sure if I am making any sense but our new trailer has ST225/75R15/C and if I read them right the tire load is 2,000 meaning, what, four tires carry a 8,000 load. The GVWR on the rig is 9,100 so am I under rated to start?

Could be the tire is good for 2,125 perhaps . That is still only 8,500 and unless I am way off base I should be getting new tires a load range up.

Cheer, GT
You need to subtract your tongue weight when calculating how much is carried on each tire. That tongue weight is carried by the tow vehicle and supported by jacks when unhitched.

2014 Wildcat 312BHX
2015 RAM 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Keisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #222

I just ordered 5 new Maxxis tires. 3 had a date code of just under a year old, the other two just under 18 months old. Of course I have no idea how these tires were stored, whether indoors or outdoors.

Having spent almost $600 (before installation) on new tires I hope they'll last well beyond the 8500 mile trip we'll be starting in 6 weeks

Old 04-23-2016, 12:39 AM   #223

The Maxxis 5 year warranty for ST tires starts on the date molded on the individual tire.
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
The Maxxis 5 year warranty for ST tires starts on the date molded on the individual tire.
Yes, unfortunately true. Had read that elsewhere.
TBH tire warranties are often not particularly meaningful in the first place, so I'm more concerned about whether they've been stressed by being stored outside than I am by the warranty coverage. Unfortunately it seems that it's fairly common to receive older tires.
I'm half wishing that I'd paid the extra $100 and got them from the local Discount Tire store, but there's no guarantee that the stock they got would be any newer
Old 04-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #225

They say you can Request newer dated tires before buying,but I think it would be simular to telling the Lumber yard to deliver 50 12' 2x4's "All Straight"! Youroo!!
Old 04-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #226
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
They say you can Request newer dated tires before buying,but I think it would be simular to telling the Lumber yard to deliver 50 12' 2x4's "All Straight"! Youroo!!
I've sent "new" vehicle tires back to tire rack, when they sent me, year old tires. I never mounted them, and i called and they shipped me return stickers. They checked their stock (took a day or 2) but everything was the same for that brand and size.

So i called discount tire direct since they now showed my brand in stock, but hadn't a few days earlier. I told them the tires needed to be less than 6 months old. They shipped me tires that were about 3 or 4 weeks old.
Just tell them when you order. Tire dates are a big thing to me !
Old 04-23-2016, 09:22 AM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I've sent "new" vehicle tires back to tire rack, when they sent me, year old tires. I never mounted them, and i called and they shipped me return stickers. They checked their stock (took a day or 2) but everything was the same for that brand and size.

So i called discount tire direct since they now showed my brand in stock, but hadn't a few days earlier. I told them the tires needed to be less than 6 months old. They shipped me tires that were about 3 or 4 weeks old.
Just tell them when you order. Tire dates are a big thing to me !
Agree,sounds like a good time to buy "Fresh Tire's" is Now! Youroo!!
Old 04-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #228

Believe me, I specifically requested newer stock (bought from autopartsway online) but they obviously ignored me, or those were the newest they had (the 2 replacement tires they sent, after originally sending 2 of the wrong tires, were older than the other 3).
I'll contact them, but don't hold much hope for getting them to ship newer
Old 04-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #229

Check out discount tire on eBay. I got a $100 instant coupon and free shipping and no tax. Win win. $60 to mount/balance at local DT.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #230
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytraveler View Post
snip

Not sure if I am making any sense but our new trailer has ST225/75R15/C and if I read them right the tire load is 2,000 meaning, what, four tires carry a 8,000 load. The GVWR on the rig is 9,100 so am I under rated to start?

Could be the tire is good for 2,125 perhaps . That is still only 8,500 and unless I am way off base I should be getting new tires a load range up.

Cheer, GT
Not sure where you came up with the 2,000 load. I find that LR-C ST225/75R15 are rated for 2150# at 50 psi.
It is my understanding that many TT have axle ratings that are 10% lower that GVWR so your tires meet the requirements.

You need to check the "Max Load" number molded on your tire sidewall and to check the GAWR. While at it you should also get the real load on each axle so you know you are not overloading the axle or tires.

Tags
led pad