Old 04-23-2016, 12:27 PM   #231
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
snip

My question that no one can seem to answer is how long have ST tires been out there my first two campers both 24' duel axle came with P rated tires from the factory......

ST type tires have been around for 20+ years

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #232

Originally Posted by Oaklevel
snip

My question, that no one can seem to answer, is how long have ST tires been out there? My first two campers (both 24' duel axle) came with P rated tires from the factory.

Passenger tires are still used by some trailer manufacturers. I recently attended an “outdoorsman” show that featured a great many large bass boats on dual axle trailers. About 35% of those trailers were fitted with “P” tires. I did the math, all had been properly derated for trailer service.

Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #233

Tire load index

With new rules governing tariff taxation on foreign tires, specifically requiring most foreign manufacturers of ST tires to provide a speed rating on every tire’s sidewall, we are seeing them using a tire service description with a speed letter for the tire. Although the load index section of the service description is not the official load capacity measurement for ST and LT tires they are still allowed. Probably because someday that form of load capacity determination will be standardized for all DOT highway tires.

One of the shining problems with some ST tires is the fact that the Load Range system used for determining the tire’s load capacity is not always accurate without further explanations. The ST235/80R16E tires are, or have been, manufactured in three distinct load capacities, all identified as LRE. The actual load capacities can be 3420#, 3500# & 3520#, all at 80 PSI. The new ST tires with load index and speed letters will have a 123 load index for the 3420# tires and a 124 load index for the 3520# tires.

Nice to know information when your OE tires are really close to being maxed-out, and a need to know fact, when replacing 3520# tires that have been used on 7000# axles and you’re thinking about using a name brand with the 3420# tires which do not qualify for 7000# axles.

Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad