Old 11-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #81

Wow, lots of great info. Just to get this straight, if the max tire pressure on the sidewall is 50psi should that be the pressure before loading the TT or after I load it up?

2014 PT Tracer 2950 BHS
2008 Chevy 1500 CC
bayoubuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #82
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubuggie View Post
Wow, lots of great info. Just to get this straight, if the max tire pressure on the sidewall is 50psi should that be the pressure before loading the TT or after I load it up?
The Cold Inflation Pressure (sidewall 50 PSI) will NOT change loaded or unloaded. The only thing that changes between empty and loaded is the amount of tread in actual contact with the road. The pressure stays the same.

It is Pounds Per Square Inch. More load; more square inches; same PSI.

ALWAYS set pressure cold (before you drive the first mile) and best done first thing in the AM before the sun starts heating up the south facing tires.

For the purists; the North facing tires in the Southern Hemisphere.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #83
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
...For the purists; the North facing tires in the Southern Hemisphere.
For me it's the East facing tires before the sun gets high enough to shine over my truck and on the tires.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #84
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubuggie View Post
The pressure on your ST or LT tires is the one associated with the max load

for example if your tire said "2000 lbs max load at 56 psi" then I am saying that to get the best durability you need to confirm two things.

1. The maximum load on the most heavy loaded tire MUST be below 2,000# and many strongly recommend below 1,700 and no more than 1800#

2. For TT with two or more axles you should set the cold inflation to 56 psi for the example tire or in your case 50 psi if that is the number molded on the sidewall, to have the lowest inter-ply shear. (This shear is the force at the belt edge trying to tear the belts and tread off the carcass whenever you turn any corner.

Now go read your tire and then get the actual tire loads when you have the trailer fully loaded (food, water, clothes etc)
This link shows how to calculate the individual tire loads. Don't be put off by it being "5th wheel. The math is the same.

You can PM me if you have questions
Old 11-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #85

Thanks, got the info off of the tire sidewall (1760# @ 50 psi), now just need to load up and find some scales. I can already see my TT loaded up is pushing my tires limits.

2014 PT Tracer 2950 BHS
2008 Chevy 1500 CC
bayoubuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #86

Has anyone ever given thought that trailer tires are of less quality than passenger tires? That they may be made to DOT standards that are well below the DOT standards of passenger tires? Compare the weight of both.... the passenger tire weighs more... i.e. has stronger belts and sidewall components. If you are REALLY a non believer, cut sections (from bead to bead) with a metal band saw, buff the cut surfaces and compare the components in the tire. I have driven on trailer tires that were pathetic and changed to passenger. In every case, without fail, the passenger significantly out performed.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #87

I'd like to hear what Tireman 9 thinks about using passenger tires. My ST tires are wearing from both shoulders or from the outside in. The driver side rear is worse than the others. I have not rotated them yet but plan to when we store the TT this weekend. Pressure in all four has been checked and double checked just to be sure it's not under inflation. I've had the alignment checked and after $250 they tell me that it was just fine. If I'm buying tires soon I'd like to know if the specialty trailer tire is the only option.
Thanks forthe all the help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_6584.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	42818  
Old 11-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I'd like to hear what Tireman 9 thinks about using passenger tires.
He's already spoken about that. Just do a search.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #89
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bullard View Post
Has anyone ever given thought that trailer tires are of less quality than passenger tires? That they may be made to DOT standards that are well below the DOT standards of passenger tires? Compare the weight of both.... the passenger tire weighs more... i.e. has stronger belts and sidewall components. If you are REALLY a non believer, cut sections (from bead to bead) with a metal band saw, buff the cut surfaces and compare the components in the tire. I have driven on trailer tires that were pathetic and changed to passenger. In every case, without fail, the passenger significantly out performed.
Mike, I am pretty sure this is not true.

Trailer tires (ST) are made specifically to be installed on a trailer. They have lower rolling friction (better gas mileage), stiffer sidewalls (for hard twisting turns), and more lubricants in the rubber (to keep them flexible since they sit more often than they roll).

Passenger tires (P) are the worst possible choice for a trailer as they have the lowest load carrying ability of all tire types. "Light Truck" (LT) tires of the correct load range would be a much better choice if you insist on not using the proper tires on your trailer.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact:

Walter C. Cannon
Executive Director
RV Safety & Education Foundation
321-453-7673
Fax 321-453-3853

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 11-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #90
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
My ST tires are wearing from both shoulders or from the outside in.
I suggest you weigh your camper. This wear pattern is typical for under inflation based on the actual weight on the tires. If you are already at your maximum tire pressure, your camper is overloaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	42820  

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW

Tags