Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #21

Thanks I will get one, if its from harbor freight it cant be that expensive, lol. I used to have a chevy 2500 hd pickup and the nuts and bolts were much bigger and a pain to get off. im wondering if this is the same situation
allphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #22
phat phrog stunt crew

why waste money on a 1 time use item. auto zone loans tools, or find a tool rental place. not familiar with e150 front ends, but will he need a coil spring compressor to keep that from flying out?
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
why waste money on a 1 time use item. auto zone loans tools, or find a tool rental place. not familiar with e150 front ends, but will he need a coil spring compressor to keep that from flying out?
Good idea, I am attempting this next weekend, hope I don't screw it up im going on a trip the next weekend lol
Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #24

thx for all the info guys, I will keep you posted with pics on the turn out
Old 03-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #25

To R&R tie rods used in steering will not require a spring compressor of any sorts. Upper and lower control arm suspensions with coil spring in between and struts with coil spring around shock, usually FWD vehicles, will require a spring compressor for sure.
A pickle fork is a wedging device placed between the tie rod and the steering arm. The tie rod fits into a tapered hole in the steering arm. You're just forcing it out with the wedge. Make sure you don't pussy foot around when hammering the fork. If you have an air operated chisel you can get a pickle fork for them as well. Actually you can get them from HF cheap and they will work well. Now you are not hammering with a big 2-LB hammer but with an impact chisel. It will work.
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote