Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #1

Tire advice

Newer here and just wanted some experienced input. Got home from a trip last weekend, literally parked and went right to bed, we were burnt out. Got up in the morning and find driver side front tire completely flat. I'm guessing it just deflated while parked because I heard no slapping of any sort or any differences in towing my trailer home. I ended up pulling the wheel off and inspecting the tire, to find 0 nails, 0 punctures, no slices or anything of any sort to indicate running anything over. Inflated the tire to 80psi and heard no leaks or hissing. Now my questions are....
1. I checked the valve core and found it to be a tad loose. However 2 of the other trailer tires valve cores were loose but they did not loose any pressure. Could the deflation have occurred because the valve core was TOO loose??
2. Should I replace this tire or could it have possibly gotten sand into the valve core?
3. Should I replace both driver side tires because of possible stress the remaining tire endured due to sitting over night with all the weight on it?

If it matters I had dropped psi while camping to tow through beach sand on all trailer tires, but never exceeded roughly 10mph.
Tires are Super Trail JF923 ST235/80R16 Load Range E
Rig is a 35' 2015 Stealth WA2916 bumper pull toyhauler and I was probably rolling close to 11,500 lbs

Thanks for any input!
ryanq55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Site Team

You may have sand caught between the rim edge and tire bead. We see this a lot, with it being mud down here in Louisiana. You wouldn't think it could happen from an inflated tire, but it does. It's now not sealing properly. Once you aired it back up, you may have gotten a temporary seal, but once the tire bead starts flexing again, it's probably going to leak again.

I can't tell you how many police tires we have had this happen to, where when they are in fast pursuit, they cut thru the median to go after someone, and dirt and grass gets stuck in their beads (thus the tire going flat)

I would take it to a tire shop, and let them break both beads down, and see if there is sand/trash trapped in the bead sealing area (stuck on tire and rim). If so, have them remove it all, and remount the tire.

You may also have a puncture, that you aren't noticing, but a tire shop should catch that too.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #3

+1 on the above advice, and I also wouldn't worry about the other drivers side tire being "bad" because it sat all night with all the weight on it. If you weren't rolling, I don't think the remaining tire would sustain any damage...anyone else have thoughts on this?
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
Incheon, S. Korea

Put metal valve stems on first, and inspect all the tires and rims for damage while the tires are off.
Next, get a TPMS.
How old are your tires?
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #5

In the last 8 months I've had a valve stem leak on my motorhome, my pickup, and my motorcycle. All three were cured by installing a new valve core.

I'm kind of OCD about carrying a valve stem kit in every vehicle now.
eddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #6

Awesome, thanks everyone for your input and expertise, I want to look into a TPMS kit (which I believe I saw for sale at my local camping world) and maybe grab a couple of cores to carry for spares. I'll have to check the side of the tire for when they were made, but I can't assume it being too long ago since my coach is a 2015. I may be naive for assuming though. Also to boot, I haven't pulled my trailer anywhere else since, and it seems as though another tire is developing two slight bulges in the sidewall.....am I just lucky or what? Bad batch of tires??? I'll check the dates when I get home tonight...
Old 09-20-2014, 03:03 AM   #7
Incheon, S. Korea

Sounds like a bad batch of tires. Contact the manufacturer, but I doubt you'll get anything from them, but maybe the tire company will cover something.
If not, ST235/80R16/E are available from many makers. If you are willing to go to a 235-245/75, you can get LT tires that are not easily damaged by speed. (evil laugh)
Old 09-20-2014, 06:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Sounds like a bad batch of tires. Contact the manufacturer, but I doubt you'll get anything from them, but maybe the tire company will cover something.
If not, ST235/80R16/E are available from many makers. If you are willing to go to a 235-245/75, you can get LT tires that are not easily damaged by speed. (evil laugh)
Hey Big Baron, I know why the evil laugh.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #9
Incheon, S. Korea

Yup, I fly low...
Old 09-21-2014, 06:39 AM   #10

I would have the tire broken down, cleaned , new valve stem replaced and inflated and checked for leaks
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #11

jackadoo

I have a 2014 Forest river georgetown motor home. What size are the lug nuts? My 13/16 socket won't fit and my 7/8 is to big.
jackadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #12

I believe my lugs nuts are 19mm but I'll have to check when I get home.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I ended up taking it to get broken down and cleaned, shops said looked darn clean, remounted and it's been holding since...my best guess could be the valve core not being tight.

Tags
tire