Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #1

Tire and bearing temperatures

I'm new to RV-ing, and have a 2012 Rockwood A-122 A-frame. I'm reading a lot about monitoring tire and wheel bearing temperatures on the road. I'm using a small, hand-held infra red thermometer to take readings whenever we stop.
I haven't seen any actual temperature values though when one should begin to be concerned about a potential problem. I realize that ambient and roadway surfaces are contributors to temperature increases, as well as brake usage, but I've only seen vague recommendations, like "Stop and let them cool when they get too hot". What is "Too Hot"???? 125 or 150 or 175 degrees or ??
To date, I compare the trailer temperature readings to those of the TV readings, and if similar, just assume everything is going ok.

So, does anyone have any actual recommended safe(?) operating temperature range values for tires and bearings?

Thanks,

Tom
tommytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Site Team

Been wondering the same. I get summer readings of around 120°.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
DDC

What you are really looking for is a difference that is excessive, so if three were say 121, 118, 123 but the other was 185 you would be looking for the reason.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #4

175 is when most blowout happens. When I shoot my hubs, I use the method of shooting my TV and then the trailer, If I'm with in 10 degrees then I'm good to go. If one hub is lot hotter like 20 or 25 degrees or so then the rest, I start looking for a problem with that, such as break dragging or so. Almost always I'm within the 10 degree which I find acceptable.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
What you are really looking for is a difference that is excessive, so if three were say 121, 118, 123 but the other was 185 you would be looking for the reason.
This is my methodology. There are no ideal temps, as you realized. But temps >175 degrees is a sure sign of trouble.

Keep in mind that if a bearing is going to fail, you may not get any indication until its too late. But, taking the hub temps will detect ongoing problems with a dragging brake & possibly overloaded axle. For me its a piece of mind.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I might suggest that a TPMS system would give you this information while traveling. My Tire Minder monitors temperature as well as pressure.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
I might suggest that a TPMS system would give you this information while traveling. My Tire Minder monitors temperature as well as pressure.
This is true Lloydg I also use my TST system, but that's just on my trailer not TV. Your hub will of course transfer the heat but it might not show up for awhile. It's just a way that I like to do, to make sure both are close just a second check I do. Also tire temp depends on how sunshine is on that side so I make sure. I trust nothing TST or anything else. That's why I shoot all 8 hubs and tires. It also lets me know if my setting is right and my TV is not doing all the work stopping. I have warped to front rotors from heat due to the fact that my trailer breaks were so far out and really not stopping my trailer. Now I have stopped that. That was a $700.00 mistake. Once again I listened to my dealer and didn't double check. Now I double and triple check everything, my wife thinks I'm nuts. I also shoot other trailers that pull in to see what they are reading at a rest stop. My blowout with those cheap trail express, has made me paranoid... but it's not going to stop me from having fun.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #8

Ive been towing various combinations of trailers and TV's in the last 52 yrs,and up untill 15 yrs ago relyed on the hand method of takeing tire/hub temps.Its tru that even temps are important. Ive been useing an infrared gunnow and generally the tires on the trailers will run 100 -105 deg with an ambient temp of 75 deg. The TV will always be 5 - 10 deg cooler. The trailer hubs will run 115 -125 deg and the TV hubs about the same. If the ambient drops to 30 -40 deg tire and hub temps will drop to 80 deg or so. A tire thats running over 135 deg or hotter than the hub is something that needs to be investigated asap.
My wife says I am "over the top anal" about tire/hub temps,but I have NEVER had a trailer blow out or hub failure in 52 yrs, and we tow a lot,everything from dozers to 6 place sled trailers,TT's and now a 5er.

edit} another thing is that I will only run a "repaired tire " long enough to get home and replace it and when the sipes on the tread are gone so are the tires
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Probably past the 180 degrees mark! Good thing I had dual axels. I just took the tire off and drove it to a close repair shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0925121106.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	67670  
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #10

I start to pay attention to a particular wheel/tire when it hits 30 degrees over ambient.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I check my hubs every stop by the "heat on the finger method". If I can't hold onto a hub for more than a couple of seconds, then I have a problem.

I discovered a brake backing plate that had broke it's weld that way.....although I didn't know why the hub was heating up at that time. I jacked up the trailer, and the wheel would barely turn because the brakes were "floating" inside the drum. I backed off the brake adjustment, got the wheel to spin freely, let everything cool, and rechecked the hub again after about 20 miles, and then again after about another 50 miles. All was good. I traveled home about another 800 miles before I had that puppy fixed.......I was Indiana when the backing plate weld broke.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Probably past the 180 degrees mark! Good thing I had dual axels. I just took the tire off and drove it to a close repair shop.
Do you mean that you took it off and drove the trailer on 3 tires? Boy I would be changing my pants. Did it drive okay?...

Old 12-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytraveler View Post
I'm new to RV-ing, and have a 2012 Rockwood A-122 A-frame. I'm reading a lot about monitoring tire and wheel bearing temperatures on the road. I'm using a small, hand-held infra red thermometer to take readings whenever we stop.
I haven't seen any actual temperature values though when one should begin to be concerned about a potential problem. I realize that ambient and roadway surfaces are contributors to temperature increases, as well as brake usage, but I've only seen vague recommendations, like "Stop and let them cool when they get too hot". What is "Too Hot"???? 125 or 150 or 175 degrees or ??
To date, I compare the trailer temperature readings to those of the TV readings, and if similar, just assume everything is going ok.

So, does anyone have any actual recommended safe(?) operating temperature range values for tires and bearings?

Thanks,

Tom
Retired Over the road truck driver ran recaps on trailers in summer over I-10 L.a to el paso. stayed at the speed limit, stopped every 2-3 hrs and put hand on tire if unbearable check inflation and bearings. even 10 psi air pressure will heat those tires. Good question Rick
raineson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Do you mean that you took it off and drove the trailer on 3 tires? Boy I would be changing my pants. Did it drive okay?...
I'm thinking he took it in TV without TT attached. But I was curious also.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #15

Any recommendations on a hand held thermometer to take these readings with?
Old 12-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #16
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Yes you can travel a short distance on three tires. Dual axels are designed to allow it. I have been to the big time tow company (near me) and asked, after a family member told me that a tow company towed his 5r to the repair shop without lifting it or doing a on site repair. The tow company confirmed that spring axels need to be chained up but both (type axels) are (if the damage is not to extensive) towed the same way. You do increase the chance of damaging the "single tire" by excessive weight so don't try to go to far. I traveled about 20 miles and did not damage the single tire. At the very least it will allow you to get off the highway. And, yes my cousin was fuming about having to pay his tow bill.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #17
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I did put this on my Christmas wish list..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CVHIJDK/...PH4CMVRK&psc=1
Old 12-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #18
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

And, yes I was sweating profusely....
Old 12-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #19
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Sorry, It did drive good but I kept the flashers on and speed below 40mph. Got a funny look from a cop that passed me. I just shook my head to let him know I knew it. Don't know if he took an exit and came around again but I hit the next exit for repairs anyway. Whew....
Old 12-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
I did put this on my Christmas wish list..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CVHIJDK/...PH4CMVRK&psc=1
Thanks, just got it off Amazon for $23 with tax and shipping

Tags
tire