Old 10-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #11

Your rims will probably be fine with higher tire pressure, but you could contact Forest River directly to confirm. Can't understand tire dealer not knowing.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8288WS View Post
Your rims will probably be fine with higher tire pressure, but you could contact Forest River directly to confirm. Can't understand tire dealer not knowing.
Lets follow the trail of a basic tire earmarked for a large manufacturer of RV Trailers.

1st there is the tire manufacturer. They must determine the size rim every tire they make, has a proper rim size. That size is found on your trailer’s certification label and may look something like this; 15x5 or 16x6.5. That’s the sizes of the overall diameter of the rim and its width. Unless the tire manufacturer has mounted a tire to a rim they are not responsible for the rims load capacity or psi rating.

2nd is the trailer manufacturer. Even though they may not have mounted the tire to a rim they are still responsible for their actions and have certified the tire & rim combination to be appropriate for the fitment to the trailer. Providing them with the model/serial number of the trailer should be all they need to give an owner an answer about the rim’s load capacity and pressure rating if both are needed.

3rd is about the third party. RV Trailer manufacturer’s most often order rim and tire combinations already mounted and pressurized from a third party. That third party has to match tire maximum load capacity to a rim that will support the maximum load and inflation pressure of the tire. They should be the easiest ones to get that information from.

Foot note: The maximum inflation pressure allowed for mounting tires is 40 psi. The third party does not know what the recommended tire pressures will be so that’s all they will use. When the assembly is married to its destination on the trailer the installer must air the tire to the recommended inflation pressure found on the trailer’s certification label. If forgotten, the trailer may be moved around on the 40 psi until it’s shipped to a dealer. If the transporter doesn’t have tire pressures on his/her check list the trailer may travel in excess of 1000 miles severely under inflated causing damage to all of the tires. New owners sometimes have trailer tire failures on the way home with their new trailer’s in tow.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #13

Already spoke to Forest River and the guy didn't know. He referred me to the rim manufacturer and the lady that answered the phone said that the rims do not come with a pressure rating, only the tires and valve stems. She sounded like she didn't know much though. So, I'm back to square one. I'm just gonna upgrade the tires and go with it.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:45 PM   #14

Same Question answered from Discount Tire

Just asked today about ordering 5 new rims to match load range E tires as load range D is not stocked in most Discount Tire stores (at least in Texas). My five Castle Rock tires from Lions Head are at around 60 psi still on nitro. and have a concave tread (?). Most tires I've seen are either flat or have a slight convex tread.

Anyway! Several phone calls were made to "sources" that all said the rims had nothing to do with tire pressure. It seems that a rim is a rim until you talk weight applied to same and not the pressure applied to the combination of the tire and rim. Sort of makes since I guess. That just saved me about $400 for 5 new rims I didn't need.

Most tire sources way down here stock E range in ST tires as the D's don't last in the heat I guess. I ran two sets on a Holiday Rambler and they served me well. Guess I'll use the E as they can be found on the shelf so to speak.

Thoughts?

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crambo View Post
Already spoke to Forest River and the guy didn't know. He referred me to the rim manufacturer and the lady that answered the phone said that the rims do not come with a pressure rating, only the tires and valve stems. She sounded like she didn't know much though. So, I'm back to square one. I'm just gonna upgrade the tires and go with it.
Crambo, I have not seen wheel that could not handle LRD tires. There may or may not be a stamping on the back or inside the wheel indicating load or pressure.

I looked online and can't see a LT in a 15 that is rated for what a 15" ST is.

Although I'm staying with my china bombs, if I was replacing I would go Maxxis. I still think GY Marathons have some degree of quality control still, even if made in the orient. Its funny that some guys will have you going to 7000# axles and H rated tires on 17.5" rims on your Catalina.

Pick a good D and keep the air pressure to at least 65psi and you should be fine.

If I also might suggest, check the torque on those wheel lugs several times as you put miles on it. I think mine needed tightening up all the way to 500 miles. And, if you haven't done it already be sure the wheel bearings are actually greased.
WW
Old 12-01-2015, 11:59 PM   #16

I will probably end up going with maxxis tires at some point.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #17

Dexter says can't mix wheels/tires

I finally discovered my factory wheels on Flagstaff VLite 30wfkss were rated at 2150 lbs. (load range C per tire chart). Tires are Castle Rock 225/75r15 load range D rated for 2540 lbs.

Now! Tire stores stock load range E tires rated at 2830 lbs. and you can order the D and wait. This turns a problem in to a several day wait for UPS or buy off the shelf.

My problem is Dexter Axle says don't put D range tires on C rated rims!!!!! No discussion on why other than I ASSUME it involves trying to carry more weight / in their mind.

Do I have to buy new rims rated for 2830 lbs. and 80 psi or will the AL 2150 rims safely function?

Remember, this is not about weight, it is about better quality tire that can be acquired without "waiting for the postman". UPS does not deliver to mile marker xxx on US 77.

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupchuck View Post
I finally discovered my factory wheels on Flagstaff VLite 30wfkss were rated at 2150 lbs. (load range C per tire chart). Tires are Castle Rock 225/75r15 load range D rated for 2540 lbs.

Now! Tire stores stock load range E tires rated at 2830 lbs. and you can order the D and wait. This turns a problem in to a several day wait for UPS or buy off the shelf.

My problem is Dexter Axle says don't put D range tires on C rated rims!!!!! No discussion on why other than I ASSUME it involves trying to carry more weight / in their mind.

Do I have to buy new rims rated for 2830 lbs. and 80 psi or will the AL 2150 rims safely function?

Remember, this is not about weight, it is about better quality tire that can be acquired without "waiting for the postman". UPS does not deliver to mile marker xxx on US 77.
WUC, you should PM Tireman9 for this question. This kind of post usually starts a firestorm of opinions and mine is no better than the rest, it is just mine and it is to keep the LRDs on my TH. If I did anything, I would go to 16" rims and E rated tires more than likely Maxxis; especially since my axles have been upgraded (4400# to 5200#) and my tires, now, can't handle 2600# each; plus a margin for safety since they are not equally sharing the load. IMO, I can't justify upgrading one componet in the load bearing equation and leave the other's alone. Why put LRE on LRC rims (if true) and why have do anything leaving the axles stock?
WW
Old 12-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #19

Here are a couple of excerpts from FMVSS building standards a manufacturer must do when building your trailers.

When ďplus sizingĒ your trailerís tires should you do less than is required of the vehicle manufacturer?

S5.3.1 Tires. The size designation and the recommended cold inflation pressure for those tires such that the sum of the load rating of the tires on each axle is appropriate for the GAWR.

S5.3.2 Rims. The size designation and, if applicable, the type designation of Rims appropriate for those tires.

There are other guide lines the manufacturer must follow to insure minimum standards are met. The word appropriate - IMO - allows or encourages them to do more than the minimum.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #20

So the rim says 2150 pound weight capacity. You can get that 2150 pound capacity with 225 75 15 LR C at 50 psi or 205 75 15 LR D at 65 psi. The rim is supporting the same 2150 pound capacity. I changed out the OEM tires and put LR D tires on my trailer and keep them at 65 psi. That gives me more weight capacity than my axles are rated for which for me is safety factor as I am always under my trailer GVWR.

Tags
tire, wheel