Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #1

Tire balancing

Back in April I asked if one should balance their tt tires. The concensus was generally a yes. Particularly if you were doing the bearings and had the wheels off anyway. Okay, I finally got the grease seals (back order) and pulled two wheels off and did the bearings. Surprisingly easy for the first time, dirty but a straight forward task. So, after doing the left side I thought I'd get those tires balanced. Now the question. I've got Karrier LoneStar 205X14R ST's mounted on aluminum rims. The balancing process ended with one assembly needing 4.25 oz and the other needing 4.5 oz. Does this seem a lot of weight or is it a function of the ST tire quality control or lack of. A Tundra was getting snows removed and summers mounted and they took less than an oz each for 265 X 60R 20's. Thoughts please.
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #2

I got new TT tires here and shopped around the word is - nobody balances TT tires. It's done for 'passenger comfort' and well, there are no passengers in the TT.

The factory does not balance the tires. I have 3 other trailers - none have balanced tires.

Less than an ounce is the way it should be. 4 ounces is a lot. When mounting all new tires have a mark that should be aligned with the valve stem and that should give the best balance (not 100% in my experience, but close). I've found few tire folk bother with this. Can you see the rid 'ring' that is supposed to be aligned with your valve stem?

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiek View Post
Back in April I asked if one should balance their tt tires. The concensus was generally a yes. Particularly if you were doing the bearings and had the wheels off anyway. Okay, I finally got the grease seals (back order) and pulled two wheels off and did the bearings. Surprisingly easy for the first time, dirty but a straight forward task. So, after doing the left side I thought I'd get those tires balanced. Now the question. I've got Karrier LoneStar 205X14R ST's mounted on aluminum rims. The balancing process ended with one assembly needing 4.25 oz and the other needing 4.5 oz. Does this seem a lot of weight or is it a function of the ST tire quality control or lack of. A Tundra was getting snows removed and summers mounted and they took less than an oz each for 265 X 60R 20's. Thoughts please.
It's probably the poor quality tires as the rims are aluminum and should be very close to being in balance. Depending on the age of the tires and weather cracking, if you can afford it, get a set of Goodyear Marathons or Maxxis.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #4

Were they using a cone on the inside of the rim to center it on the balancer ? If so, ask them to use the adapter that mounts on the outside and centers the rim using the stud holes.
If it spins, rotates or rolls at 65 mph, balance it.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
Were they using a cone on the inside of the rim to center it on the balancer ? If so, ask them to use the adapter that mounts on the outside and centers the rim using the stud holes.
Aluminum wheels have a machined center and the holes are indexed off the center, a cone is ideal for alum wheels.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
It's done for 'passenger comfort' and well, there are no passengers in the TT.
I say to also not shake the whole damn trailer apart going down the road.

Quote:
The factory does not balance the tires. I have 3 other trailers - none have balanced tires.
That would eat into profits, so why start?
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
I got new TT tires here and shopped around the word is - nobody balances TT tires. It's done for 'passenger comfort' and well, there are no passengers in the TT.
No passengers? Ok, but there is a lot of dishes and electronics that I don't want vibrated all to H!!

All of the smart people on this forum get theirs balanced. ;-)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #8

Only if it's back coned and even then I've had problems with cheap aluminum rims. I know RV aluminum rims easily fall in this cartagory.
Prodigy
Old 05-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #9

You need to get them balanced. It's your money. If the tire guy ask why you want them balanced, just tell him that you do not want to shake up the beer.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #10

I just had new tires put on our TT and I requested the tire shop to balance them, the stock junk Trail Express were not. I picked them up a couple days later and each tire had at most 1.25 oz.

If I were you I would have the tire shop break the bead on the tires and rotate them on the rim, then re-set the bead and then balance them. It may take a time or 2 of doing this, but doing this you should find a combo that doesn't take as much weight to balance them out.

My parents bought a 2013 Open Range 5er last fall, the tires were balanced from the factory on their unit.
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
Always Learning

My tire guys said that my Maxxis tires were going to take 3.65 oz. to balance once of them and recommended against it. Advice here was to push the subject and have them break the bead and try again until it takes less weight. I haven't had the camper back and haven't taken them to another tire shop to do so.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #12

Re: tire balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHS79 View Post
I just had new tires put on our TT and I requested the tire shop to balance them, the stock junk Trail Express were not. I picked them up a couple days later and each tire had at most 1.25 oz.

If I were you I would have the tire shop break the bead on the tires and rotate them on the rim, then re-set the bead and then balance them. It may take a time or 2 of doing this, but doing this you should find a combo that doesn't take as much weight to balance them out.

My parents bought a 2013 Open Range 5er last fall, the tires were balanced from the factory on their unit.
I've heard of the "moving the tire indexing to another point on the rim". It's been a while though and if I remember correctly it could be quite a time consuming exercise, read $$$$. As for this "experiment" I think I"ll do the right side bearings tomorrow take the tires to the shop and see how much weight they take. I suppose we'll see how the normal "spin" balance works when I take the tt to the dealer to get the rest of the season prep work done. If it seems to shake more than it did, I'll definately look at other options.
Thanks all for the insights.
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiek View Post
I've heard of the "moving the tire indexing to another point on the rim". It's been a while though and if I remember correctly it could be quite a time consuming exercise, read $$$$. As for this "experiment" I think I"ll do the right side bearings tomorrow take the tires to the shop and see how much weight they take. I suppose we'll see how the normal "spin" balance works when I take the tt to the dealer to get the rest of the season prep work done. If it seems to shake more than it did, I'll definately look at other options.
Thanks all for the insights.
Regardless of how much wt it takes, have them balanced. It's better than not balancing at all. BTW, you will not see or feel any shaking on the trailer tires. I am especially vigilant of those things and still ended up having 4 new tires on a new trailer cupped in about 2500 miles before seeing it (2007 Kodiak 26'). 5 full days of towing and not inspecting them at night or in the morning before taking off was my fault. BTW, that was the first, last and only trailer I had not balanced the tires on.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #14

I used Tire Balancing Products. Rv size and 6oz per tire ... had local shop break the bead and pour them in. I've always had my trailer tires balanced.
Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I had my tires balanced. It can be about more than passenger comfort in a car too. Ever seen tires that were badly out of balance? And the cupping?
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by checca View Post
I used Tire Balancing Products. Rv size and 6oz per tire ... had local shop break the bead and pour them in. I've always had my trailer tires balanced.
I use Ride-On because it balances and seals punctures, but you still should have them balanced before installing. I use it in my TV and mororcycles too. You can put it in yourself.
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #17

Find a shop that uses a Hunter 9700 balancer. It will measure road force and tells you exactly where to reposition the tire on the rim.
Prodigy
Old 05-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #18

If you do not balance, and the tire continues to bounce, it will cause irregular wear on the tire, much like cupping. Get them balanced!. Pay the extra to have the tire rotated so that not so much weight is needed. Look for the balance point, red dot or otherwise
farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #19

I was reading on Etrailer.com this morning where they are answering customer questions and one question had to do with 'do they balance the pre-mounted tires and rims they sell online', their response was that they do not balance them but they do mount the tire on the rim so balance will be as close as possible by indexing. They also stated that they recommend you have them balanced before you mount them on your TT. I always go for balancing my tires no matter what the application is car, RV, TV or TT especially those that will be subjected to highway speeds.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #20

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Aluminum wheels have a machined center and the holes are indexed off the center, a cone is ideal for alum wheels.
One would think so but that is not always the case. Lugcentric is the way they should be done. Cheap rims and tires are not built to the same specs. as auto and truck tires and rims and are.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote