Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
Cardinal 04 31LE

Tire Blow Out

I just purchased my first fifth wheel, used (1 previous owner) 2004 Cardinal 31LE, went on my first short trip to work out the "bugs" and the left front tandem blew a tire running about 55mph. The tires appear to be in very good condition, or so I thought. Good tread, no sidewall deterioation, etc. I am wondering if the load rating is too light? I have read a few things on this forum where people are suggesting a load range E or G. The documentation that came with the unit is not very comprehensive although the previous owner indicates that it is all they were given when they purchased the unit new. My questions are A) suggestions for appropriate tires and B) where do I locate good / better documentation on the unit?

Thanks to anyone that can help. If there are other owners of the 31LE with bunkhouse out there please respond so I can compare notes.

Bryan Ebling
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #2

Are they Carlisle's? If they are, then replace them all. I had a blow out last year on a tire that had less than 5000 miles on it and looked like new. I replaced them with Goodyear Marathons.

Documentation on units from Forest River is poor at best. If you have a 2004 model, then you have the same piece of crap owners manual that I do. It is generally worthless. Go to a dealer or bookstore and find a good all purpose RV manual. That will be much better than what FR gives you.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Cardinal 04 31LE

Tire Blow Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
Are they Carlisle's? If they are, then replace them all. I had a blow out last year on a tire that had less than 5000 miles on it and looked like new. I replaced them with Goodyear Marathons.

Documentation on units from Forest River is poor at best. If you have a 2004 model, then you have the same piece of crap owners manual that I do. It is generally worthless. Go to a dealer or bookstore and find a good all purpose RV manual. That will be much better than what FR gives you.
Thanks, the tires are a KLEVER I think they are made by Kenda or something like that. They are load range E.
I agree with your opinion of the owners manual.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Your best document would be a truck scale receipt that shows your trailer
weight, truck weight and the total!!!!
It's easy to do and very handy to know what you REALLY weigh and not just
what some paper says the trailer was supposed to weigh before all the options
and your stuff were put in there.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Cardinal 04 31LE

Thanks for the great suggestion. I can do that easily!
Old 08-05-2008, 07:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Your best document would be a truck scale receipt that shows your trailer
weight, truck weight and the total!!!!
It's easy to do and very handy to know what you REALLY weigh and not just
what some paper says the trailer was supposed to weigh before all the options
and your stuff were put in there.
Yes this is the best way, have the weight checked on a scale. Campers have been off by as much as 1,500 lbs (heavier) then what the label says.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:14 AM   #7

I had ST 205/75R15-load rated "C" on my 8314SS and I changed them to ST225/75R15-load rated "D"....From a 6 ply to an 8 ply, the camper tows much smoother and more stable.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
Rockwood 8281SS

The tires on a 04 trailer are about six yrs old. It is recommended to replace trailer tires at 5-6 yrs max. The tread has nothing to do with the structure breakdown internally. E rated tires should be fine with your trailer. Choose a major brand and you should be OK.
steve smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #9

We had an '04 KZ with Nankang tires load range D. I had always set the pressure about 10psi below the recommended max except the one time when I tried the max rated pressure and had three fail on one 1000 mile trip. I upgraded to load range E Carlisle. We traded the trailer before towing enough to comment on the Carlisle tires.

I did convince the manufacturer Nankang to pay me for the relpacement tires after I threatened to file a complaint with the National Highway Safety board. That seemed to get prompt payment, go figure.

My advice is to be careful of the pressure you put in any tire regardless of manufactures recommendations. The tires on our new camper I run 5-7 psi below recommended max.
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve smith View Post
The tires on a 04 trailer are about six yrs old. It is recommended to replace trailer tires at 5-6 yrs max. The tread has nothing to do with the structure breakdown internally. E rated tires should be fine with your trailer. Choose a major brand and you should be OK.
check the date code on the tires, they may be older then that. My tires were two years old when I bought my camper new in 2005 and it is a new model year for 2006.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by out4stlhed View Post
We had an '04 KZ with Nankang tires load range D. I had always set the pressure about 10psi below the recommended max except the one time when I tried the max rated pressure and had three fail on one 1000 mile trip. I upgraded to load range E Carlisle. We traded the trailer before towing enough to comment on the Carlisle tires.

I did convince the manufacturer Nankang to pay me for the relpacement tires after I threatened to file a complaint with the National Highway Safety board. That seemed to get prompt payment, go figure.

My advice is to be careful of the pressure you put in any tire regardless of manufactures recommendations. The tires on our new camper I run 5-7 psi below recommended max.
Temp and pressure are directly related, when the temp go's up so does the pressure. You should always set the air pressure at the recommened PSI, (cold) never try to compensate for the expansion of the tire due to temp, this is a calculation that is done during the engineering process and design of the tire. If you are having Issues with your tires,then the tires may not be the right ones for your application. Running under pressure tires can cause serious problems for handling such as sway, the side walls of the tires can over heat which causes the rubber to exspand thus causing a side wall blow-out and or the bead of the tire could break loose from the rim. You can have all the sway control you want, but it will not stop the side walls of under pressure tires from failing. Please check in to your theory completely for your safety and others.